Status: Finished

Too Late

1

Loud voices laughing , radio playing softly in the background. No danger , no fear. Only two girls laughing uncontrollably at a random prospect , just one more thing to add to their amazing youth life.
She could still remember the song playing that day was “just a fool” by Christina Aguilera. It was the typical boy meets girl , boy falls in love , boy screws up , boy loses girl song. Just a typical love story. Not a happy song , on the contrary , if it wasn’t for their happy attitudes the song would have brought tears to their eyes.
They were too oblivious for that , they were two happy girls driving around the busy streets of their beloved hometown. Neither of them picking up the unknown fact that their lives will change forever within a couple of minutes.
“watch out!” the blonde girl screamed suddenly at her friend. The driver looked towards the road and saw a reckless driver behind the steering wheel of a Volvo that looked way too expensive to be his.. Police were behind him , maybe the car was stolen?
Adele swung out at the car that drove ghostly towards them , both the petite girls’ face mirrored fear , she lost control , the car slipped under the amount of pressure and hit a nearby tree.

“nothing , not a single metaphor , not a single song , not a single poem , can explain the amount of fear , adrenaline , sadness , hurt and anger that day caused me. Never will I be able to see my best friend again. I’m now picking out a black dress to go to her funeral , while all I was doing a week ago was go to the mall with her , gossip with her , laugh with her. Now I’m saying goodbye. It’s not right , we’re too young.
Beep.
Where am I?
Beep
What happened?
Beep
where’s Del?
I can remember the Volvo , the screams , the slip , the crash , but then it was blank. What was happening now? Am I dead? Is Adele dead? Where is everybody? Where is the Volvo man? Where is the police?
I slowly opened my eyes , there was a face looking back at me. It was my boyfriend , Luke. He smiled brightly when he saw me , he looked tired. Worn out. Was he here all the time?
“hey” he whispered softly , stroking my damp hair. “how are you feeling?” he continued , I gaped a few times before he gave me some water. I ignored his question and asked the question that has been haunting me for how long :
“how’s Adele?”
His smile turned into a frown , tears glazing his eyes as he shook his head and told me something I wish I never heard. Something that ruined me from that day on forward. Something that will make me hate a certain song , a certain car , a certain part of town. Something that will make me hate myself for surviving with only a broken hip and collar bone.
“she’s dead”
8 syllables
2 words
1 sentence
She’s dead... she’s dead....she’s dead
And it’s all my fault.
She’s dead. Dell is dead.
She might have been driving but it was all my fault.
If only we didn’t change radio stations
If only we didn’t gossip about Pete Turner’s smile
If only we didn’t mock Tyler and Emily
If only we didn’t have fun...
If only. If only.
If only Adele was still alive. If only.