Status: Sequel : be patient with updates

Out of the Blue

Chapter 14

“I hate Monday mornings. I hate Mondays.” I kept mumbling to my co worker Trina. She’s a cardiologist and is working to be the Head of Cardio.
Trina laughed , “God Mea you’re optimistic. Whate example do you set for your residents?”
I smirked , “they’re residents. Not nearly as tired as us attendings”
She chuckled again and was about to say something when we were interrupted by our pagers both beeping 911.
“ahh , my Monday just got better” I gushed as we ran to the ambulance station.
There was only one ambulance with a wife and husband in it. They were in a car accident.
“Female , 33 suffered 2 broken arms and cardiovasculary injuries. Non fatal. Vitals normal , blood pressure 90 over 60.”
Trina got her and ran to an OR while I checked my patient – the husband.
“Male , 50 suffered concussion and some temporary brain damage. All none fatal”
I nodded and hurried in , my residents helped me with the gurney as I called for General.
“Right away Doctor” reception told me and we hurried to OR 3.
While the nurses took the man into the OR , me and the general surgeon , Dr Villey , plus my residents scrubbed in.
Villey was working on the man’s stomache , and I was operating on the brain lobe to save him from temporary damage as it can be fatal when it gets too badly damaged and a car crash can do that.
That’s when I felt it.
Metal.
“What the hell is this?” I asked myself and checked on the sonogram.
“Dr Williams” one of my residents , Frankie , spoke.
“Dr Williams it’s a bomb!” another resident yelled. I was too frozen to say anything.
Villey closed up his part and yelled at a nurse to call the bomb squad and the chief.
His heart was still stable , as if nothing was wrong and all I could keep thinking of was why would there be a bomb inside someone’s head? Not chest , not stomache. His brain?
In a few seconds the chief was in the OR alongside Bomb squad who advised us to stay calm.
“Doctor...” He said to me , “listen to me carefully. Everyone needs to go , everyone except me and you. You can’t leave”
If I wasn’t in such shock I would have started crying.
“Why?” Villey cried.
“If we leave this guy , if Dr Williams close him up , the bomb might get lodged in between vital organs and it will blow up. We’ll all die , this whole hospital will be blown up”
“And now? Now only Mea will die?” He spat , the bomb man shook his head. “No , not if she stays. We’ll all be fine , if she stays”
“She has a boyfriend that loves her. Friends , family. She’s still young.” He reasoned but I cut him off.
“It’s fine , Mark. I’ll be fine. Plus , you have a wife and a daughter”
The chief gave me a supportive glance and ushered everyone out. The hospital was being evacuated according to the Bomb squad.
“We won’t die right?” I asked with a strained voice.
“No. We’ll be just fine”
I nodded and played out his commands.
“Now Mea , I need you to touch the bomb. If you can feel it , let you hard wrap around it.”
I nodded and did as told. “Now , my co worker , Joe , will give this man oxygen with an oxygen bag as all oxygen lines will be cut off.”
“Why?”
“Oxygen triggers a bomb. This bomb needs oxygen to explode”
I nodded and kept my hand on the bomb , trying not to shake.

*****
“Calm down? You’re telling me to calm down? My best doctor has her hand stuck inside a man’s brain , trying to control a ticking time bomb. My hospital might explode and everyone might die. But , I should calm down?” The chief of surgery yelled at one of the residents.
“Chief , you’re gonna have an anxiety attack. We can’t do anything!”
“Listen here. Doctor Meandra Williams is the only Neurologist that can save countless cases , not only is she the best doctor in this hospital , in this world , she is also the highest paid surgeon in Huntington Beach! So no , I’m not gonna calm down , I’m not gonna do nothing. Our job is to save people , and today we save our own”
“Nobody wants to lose Dr Williams , but...” an attending started but was cut off by another doctor.
“Exactly. Nobody wants to lose Dr Williams. Nobody wants to lose 3 people at once. Certainly not us so stop complaining and everyone just relax”
“Someone needs to call Matt.” Trina muttered. “I’ll do it. I’ll call Matt. He has the right to know”
The chief nodded , “yeah but tell him to stay put , Richters. He can’t come here. He can’t help now”
Trina nodded and got her cellphone out , dialing Matt’s number.
She walked out to get some privacy and waited as it rung.
“Matt’s phone. How can I help?” a goofy voice spoke , and with what Mea has told her she just knew it was Jimmy.
“Hi. I need to speak to Matt urgently. It’s about Meandra”
There was a few seconds of silence , “Who’s this? What’s wrong with Mea?”
That was Matt. She recognised his deep voice.
“Matt? This is Trina. Mea’s co-worker. Listen uhm.. Mea....we’re... at the hospital. There was a patient , one of hers and he has a .. he has a bomb inside of him. Matt , Mea’s holding that bomb , her hand is stuck inside the man’s brain and if she let’s go it will blow.”
It was silent , and then he barked a “what?”
“wha... I’m , fuck... Trina I’m not even in California. Will she live? She’s not gonna die right? Tell me right now she’ll get out unharmed. Tell me!”
I can see why Mea has always joked that for people that don’t know Matt , he can look and sound very intimidating.
“The bomb squad says she’ll be fine , as long as she keeps holding the bomb. They won’t let her die. I promise. But you can’t come back , Mea won’t want you too. Just... Matt finish your tour. According to her you only have 2 days left.”
I heard him sigh in defeat , “yeah. But you keep me posted. Tell Mea to call me as soon as she gets out. Tell her I love her okay?”
I smiled sadly , this had to be torture for him. “Alright. I will. She won’t die Matt. She has way too much to live for. Bye”

***
“Matt? What’s wrong?” Michelle asked panickly.
“Mea... fucking shit... Mea she has her hand stuck inside a man’s brain trying to fucking dislocate a bomb! The fucking hospital told me to stay put. I..fuck”
The guys and girls stood up abrubtly , “tell me you’re kidding Matt... fuck” Johnny snapped.
“Why? Why her? God she has bad luck. She always complains how much she hates Mondays and now she has a fucking reason to” Leana barked , and swore like she never has before.
“She better not die. I can’t lose her and I’m fucking far away. I’m so far away from Huntington”
Zacky patted my shoulder , “What should we do? Cancel the tour?”
I shook my head , “no. We finish. Mea would want us to” Brian finished for me , knowing what I wanted to say.

****
“Okay Mea. I want you to move your hand until you feel a wire. Can you do that?”
I nodded and did as told.
I traced the bomb carefully until I felt a wire. “Okay I’ve got it”
He nodded , “okay now you have to softly and carefully take the wire out of the bomb. Remember soft movements”
I sigh and closed my eyes for a second , a single tear fell from my eyes as I thought of everyone I loved.
Kim
Gary
Amy
Robert
Leana
Michelle
Zacky
Brian
Jimmy
Johnny
Vince
But more importantly
Matt.
He and I didn’t even talk this morning , I just sent him a quick text saying how much I miss him and I hope he enjoys tour. I haven’t even bothered looking at my phone for a reply. I was in such a hurry , I didn’t even speak to him this morning and now..
Now it might be my last. Let’s face it – I don’t know how to dislocate a bomb.
I started pulling on the wire , softly and quickly. I knew that if the bomb moved from my movements it will go off so I tried to keep steady and still.
After anticipation and a few droplets of tears I pulled it out. It made a tick sound that almost send me over the edge but I tried to keep calm.
I pulled the wire out and almost laughed from nerves , but just let out a sigh.
“Good job Mea” the bomb squad man breathed out.
“Now , all you need to do is take the bomb out. Carefully. Remember always soft movements and try to keep as still as possible. Then you hand the bomb over to me. Okay? While doing that , try to keep your mind off it. Tell me something – something happy”
I nodded and made my grip on the bomb tighter. I then remembered a story that will keep my mind off what I was doing.
“Matt – my boyfriend. He’s in a band , they’re really successful..”
“Oh? What band is that Mea?”
“Uhm Avenged Sevenfold. He’s M.Shadows”
The bomb squad man grinned , “You’re the doctor dating M.Shadows? I’ve heard about you!”
I chuckled but it was out of nerves and stress. “Y-yeah I am.. anyway Matt – he told me one day that as long... as long as his brain functions and his heart beeps that he will always be mine. Now.. now it might be my last and I didn’t even talk to him this morning. I sent him a text. A lousy text”
“I’m sure he knows you love him”
Tears fell down , “I c-can’t think of anything happy. On this moment I’m everything but happy”
He smiled sadly at me , “just keep talking”
I was trying to keep as still as possible but it was hard and I’ve used all my nerves.
I quickly but softly pulled the bomb out. It was kind of slippery because of the mass blood but I managed.
It’s just a brain. It’s just a brain. You see it everyday – think of it as a brain.
When it was out I gave it to the squad man I’ve never catched a name off and he smiled at me , thanking me before walking out of the room.
I had no idea what to do so I did the only thing I could think off and closed up the patient. I closed him and walked out of the room.
Just in time to see the bomb blow up , and I fell to the ground.
Everything turned black before i regained consciousness.
Blood dripped from my forehead and oozed out of my arm from the glass that shattered. It was nothing bad.
I looked around the room , there was no trace of the man. He was just gone – blown to pieces.
I hated Mondays before.
Now , I fucking loathe it.

***
I didn’t even bother checking on the patient still in the OR , I just walked out to the lobby where everyone was sat.
“SHE’S OUT!”
I heard yells of congratulations and cheers but tears kept falling out of relief , stress , anxiety and panic.
“Mea , Mea you’re bleeding” I heard someone say but I was in a daze.
“I’m fine. Few cuts. I’m f-fine”
One of the male doctors held me tightly as tears still kept falling.
“Dr. Williams , the wife says thank you for saving her husband.” An intern told me. I nodded and remembered that she was also in the accident.
“The... uhm ... the patient , he’s in the OR. I-I closed him , he’s fine” I told the chief.
He smiled at me , “you’re not. Go home Mea. Take the days off , and hang out with Matt. Take a week off , please”
I nodded , “thanks Chief. I-I... I’m—“
“Go home Mea. We’ll be fine and believe me , nothing will happen to you for taking a few days off. You deserve it. You’re a brilliant surgeon and you’re a brave young woman”
I nodded and with a daze , Trina and I fetched my things from my locker and the chief told her to drive me with my car while Simon , a resident , drove with her car so she could come back or whatever.
I gave her the directions to Matt’s house. I know it seems crazy , but Matt’s house was more home to me than my own house. Even without him , it was safe.
I couldn’t wait to get the dog Matt and I have talked of. We agreed to buy her [ I only want a girl] when he gets back.
We already chose on a name : Bella.
I thanked her as she pulled into the driveway and handed me the keys. I said goodbye and locked the door , unlocking the house and stepping into it.
First thing I did was call Matt , while drawing myself a nice warm bubblebath.
It rung only once before he answered :
“baby? Are you okay? Are you hurt?” He asked immediately.
I nodded and sat down on the bed , “I-I’m fine. Just a few cuts and I’m a little shaken up. Actually a lot but I’ll be fine”
“You sure? Baby I can come home. We only have one more show and that’s tonight , we can cancel. They won’t care”
“N-no Matty , you’ll be here tomorrow. That’s good enough”
“Are you sure? Babe...” he sigh then dropped it. “Okay , where are you now?”
“At your house. I just drew myself a bath”
“You sure you’re okay?”
“I’m fine babe. When you.. when you get back , remember we need to get—“
He cut me off , and I could just see him grinning “get a labrador named Bella. I know”
I laughed slightly. “Yeah , uhm Chief gave me off. For a week”
“Oh?”
“Hmm.. I needed it today , I just thought he’d give me today off and expect me back at work by tomorrow but apparently not”
“That’s good babe. It gives us more time together before you have to work again.”
“Yeah” I breathed , “so what you do today?”
I heard him chuckle softly , “well , we had an interview today. Kerrang mag. They talked about tour and when our next album will come out”
“They already asked that?” I laughed , “you’re promoting your album on tour and they’re already asking that?”
Matt laughed , “I know right. But , we told them that we’d be relaxing at home for a few days or weeks before going back into studio. Maybe do a couple of hometown shows”
“That’ll be nice. Hometown shows I mean. But studio as well”
Matt laughed , “got yourself a rambling fit hey babe?”
“Sorry. You know how I get when I don’t understand myself”
“I love you babe” He chuckled
“I love you too. You guys are having fun?”
“Oh plenty. I just miss you.”
“I miss you too”
I heard Larry calling for Matt. I chuckled softly when I heard Matt’s frustrated spat at Larry that he was on his way.
“I’ll let you go babe. Please don’t kill Larry”
He laughed , “I’ll try. I’ll see you soon baby. Love you”
“Love you too. Bye”