You Made Me Feel Butterflies

Two

Kate’s eyes were struggling to stay open as the end of her shift rolled around. She crammed her peaked cap further onto her frizzy head of hair, the muggy summer air dancing playfully with the tightly curled strands and beckoning them to make a bird’s nest of themselves.

“Welcome to Baker’s Delight,” she spoke cheerily at the new customers entering the store, a too big grin plastered to her face, “how can I help you?” Her eyes flickered to the large clock on the wall, the monotonous ticking taunting her with the promise of escape in fifteen minutes’ time.

Once the customers left, she returned to the kitchen area, kneading dough that was almost ready to be baked. She shaped it into loaves and made a few shallow slices in them, putting them into the oven. She leaned against the work table and glanced at the clock again. Seven minutes. She almost groaned aloud. She couldn’t wait to finally quit, as soon as she finished her advanced diploma. She wanted to be an interior decorator / designer, and couldn’t wait to finally begin her work experience.

Her diploma was due for completion in June, a mere four months away.

Kate stuffed her apron and cap in her locker, grabbing her phone and wallet and stuffing them in her back pockets. No Scott, she thought gleefully, walking across the street to the tram platform. She planned on playing music loudly whilst writing one of her assessments. She was on a mid-trimester break for a week; something she valued greatly in catching up on work. Juggling thirty hours of work a week and full time study was enough to make her head spin, as well as staying on top of bills.

The tram ride passed in a blink of an eye, and soon she was climbing the worn stairs to her apartment. The carpet on them may have been a lively red once, but the building was over fifty years old, and it could only take so much wear and tear. The now tattered, red-tinged grey carpet had the tendency to be rather smooth and slippery, and Kate took care to hold onto the rail as she climbed the seventh to fourteenth stairs between the second and third landings; she had stumbled too many times to want to repeat the experience.

Kate hooked her music player up to the dock, deciding on blasting rap music. Scott hated rap with a passion and all but banned her from playing it. Kate bit her lip to try and stifle a smile; Scott would kill her if he heard and saw her, swinging her hips and stomping her feet to the steady beat. After changing into cooler, comfier clothes, Kate turned the music down a few notches as she began her assessment task, the pen flying across paper.
♠ ♠ ♠
Slow and steady wins the race, really. It'll pick up next chapter.