Status: one/done

Ribs

ONE of ONE

My mum and dad let me stay home. It drives you crazy getting old.

It’s late summer now, and my anxiety towards the decisions I must face in the coming season are at an all time high. I am thankful when the group of children I had grown up in my suburban neighbourhood begin to arrive at my parent’s house one by one. It is a reunion of sorts as we return to a backyard we had once considered a sanctuary in our youth.

We're reeling through the midnight streets and I've never felt more alone.
Feels so scary getting old.


We find ourselves situated in my parent’s backyard, the group of us gathered on patio furniture and pool lounge chairs pulled into a haphazard circle around a makeshift campfire. We’re just a group of miscellaneous youth, struggling to find our spot in the world as we try and make the transition between student and adult.

I want them back; The minds we had.

None of us know what we’re doing, but we hide our fear well as we swap stories of the youthful years we all shared together. Stories of falling off bikes, calling parents to pick us up from sleepovers, and drinking too much vodka at senior prom. It’s a lifetime of memories shared between this group, my closest friends. We’ve all grown up in this neighbourhood, but this is the first moment we have had to come together and reflect since we all left and sacrificed four years of our lives to college. I almost feel like a child again and am thankful for this impromptu reunion.

You're the only friend I need, sharing beds like little kids
and laughing 'til our ribs get tough.


We can only share so many childhood stories before the laughs slowly begin to fade out and are replaced by pensive sighs. This is our escape from reality, but we can all see through it. Everyone here is masking their own fears and insecurities about the future ahead of them, we’ve just all reached an unspoken agreement not to mention it tonight as we all pretend to still be youthful and free. Tomorrow morning when we wake we will all return to our jobs and schooling, the memories of the night before and the youthful bonding will be nothing but a memory marked by a dull aching in our ribs from laughs we had previously shared together.

Laughing 'til our ribs get tough, but that will never be enough.
♠ ♠ ♠
xo