Status: Complete

Tea on a Coffee Table

One/One

I walked around my home in my old lady sweater and penny loafers. This house that was once so full of love and laughter is now cold and the only sounds are made by the ghost from the past. As I look from the couch I can see every year flashing in front of my eyes. You know the saying ‘see your life flash before your eyes' well that holds true for me today. Frank has long since left leaving me to raise our child on my own. He has long since left as well. I am alone now and this is how I'll die. The sound of the tea kettle whistling brought me from my thoughts and I arose from my seat and went to quite it. As I stood I caught my reflection in the mirror. My once clear skin is now polluted with wrinkles and liver spots and my eyes that once held some much love and a zest for life are now tired. I wonder what Frank would look like were he still here. I remember the look his face as it were when we met that day, His black hair sticking up in a wild manner. His chocolate eyes held love for everyone and everything. His body was covered with tattoos, which was something people judged him by, but I loved every last one of the marks he had on his skin. I could describe them to you in so much detail even though it's been years since I last saw them. The sound of the front door creaking open jolted me from my gaze and my memories. I turned to see who had entered my home and saw my son standing there looking so much like his father at his age that I almost ran to him.

“Hey mom, how are you today?” John, my son, asked.

“I'm fine, dear.” I replied.
“Are you sure? You know you could always come and live with me and Missy.” he said as he took two tea cups from the cupboard.

“No, I'm fine here, John.” I declined.

“You must get lonely here though, mom.” He proceeded.

“I do, John. But I don't mind it. I like being alone with my thoughts.”

“I know you do but...”

“Let it be, John.”

“I guess you'll get your way in the end anyway, you stubborn old woman.”

“I fought hard in my life to get to be a stubborn old woman.” I said with a smile.

“That you did.” John replied with a laugh as he came and sat the tea on the coffee table, Tea on the coffee table, ironic.

“But I am going to stay here tonight.” he stated as he turned the television on.

I didn't argue, I'm not sure why but I didn't.

“Fine, but I'm going to lie down.” I stated as I got up leaving my tea and son behind me.

I lie down on my bed and let my mind run wild with memories pausing when I got to the one I was searching for. The day that Frank told me he loved me. His smile was so big and his brown eyes were so bright with life. I kept that image in mind and slowly slipped into a sleep that I would never awake from but at least I know my fear was never realized for I didn't die alone.