Status: Don't be a silent reader! :) Any comment helps!

Heart of Gold

Sleep

I'd fallen into the tombs below. The scientists took me back to the research center, where I puffed on my inhaler, waited for the pain to go away, and staved off their apologies. I hadn't broken anything but dark, hideous bruises flared out over my hipbone, shoulder, and arm. Ulric showed his blemishes more than Cupid. His looked like a yellow wilted spot on a plant.

It looks so ugly, he bleated. His voice came to me as clear as day.

"We are sincerely sorry," the tour guide said. "That has never happened before. We promise that we'll give you some compensation money for your injuries. Again, we are so sorry."

I started to refuse but Luca took their money without any politeness and marched us off. We spent the night outside for the first time since we left. I skipped my pokemon's nightly drills because they were so banged up. "Are you sure you're okay?" Luca said for the fiftieth time.

"I'm fine," I replied. He rustled into his sleeping bag and I stared at the stars. Even though I'd landed on my side, my whole body ached. I also had to move Cupid from her spot on my chest because her tears literally burned me. They were like hot tea water. She was sad, but understood. "Luca," I said, "you don't have to be worried. Something like this was bound to happen."

"I know, but it doesn't make it any less scary. When we're back at home the worst thing that happens is a pokemon bites you."

"Are you thinking about going home?" I said.

I turned my head to him and saw him with his arms behind his head, looking at the stars. They were a little light polluted since we were nearby Violet City, but they were much more visible than inside the city. Luca's face was relaxed and pale in the moonlight. He had short, soft black eyelashes.

"I don't want to go home," he said. His eyes flickered to me. They were almost silver in the night. "I'd rather be out here than back home. Do you think I overreacted, though?"

"Is that what you're worried about?" I laughed. "I think you reacted fine. If my spine was broken, though, I wouldn't recommend picking me up."

"I think the media romanticizes pokemon trainers a lot," Luca said. He closed his eyes. "We're basically out here without a home facing the elements. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of trainers died."

"You're so pessimistic," I said. "We have nothing to worry about."

"Ah." His breathing slowed.

I could never understand how Luca could fall asleep so fast. I tucked my arm under my head and closed my eyes. Would we get into more trouble out here? Probably.

I could handle it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait. It's been a holiday week, yo.

Anyway, so I have this conversation partner I practice Japanese with. We were talking about Pokemon one time, and when we video-chatted, he was like, "Do you remember when I told you my favorite pokemon was raichu, ne?" and I was like, "yeah" and HE PULLS OUT A RAICHU PLUSHIE THIS GUY IS A 24 YEAR OLD MATH TEACHER I COULD NOT BELIEVE THIS WAS REAL