Status: new story x

My One and Only.

CHAPTER ONE.

hey! it's luke. i'm glad i came over today. maybe we can hang out some time. i don't want you to all alone in sydney. just let me know :)


Elise looked at her phone, smiling brightly at the text message she had just received. She had only recently moved into her new home in Sydney, Australia and she already had a friend. This friend was already looking forward to getting to know her and he was going to show her the city. Her mind flashed back to only an hour or so ago when his family came to her doorstep.

"Hello!" The woman had chirped once Elise's mother opened the door. The girl with the ginger hair was in her new bedroom, placing up posters of band including Green Day, blink-182, A Day To Remember, just to name a few. After pinning up her 'The Endless Summer' poster, her mother knocked onto the door.

"The Hemmings are here." She stated with a smile. Elsie's eyebrows furrowed together, but her mother clarified the situation, "They're from across the street. They're welcoming us into the neighborhood. Come say hi."

Elsie sighed dramatically, then smiled gently, "Fine, I can put up my Sons Of Anarchy poster up later. Who's in the family?" She asked, following her mother down the steps.

"Well, it's Liz, the mother. Her husband is at work, just like your father. And their son, Luke. I guess the other two sons are somewhere else." She shrugged, soon growing a friendly smile. The blonde woman and the son were standing by the door. Guessing the older one was Liz, Elsie waved to her first before giving her a handshake and greeting herself. The second her eyes made in contact with Luke's ocean blue orbitals, she felt a shock of electricity running up her spine.

"'M Luke." He greeted with a smile on his lips. On his right cheek, a small dimple was dug into the skin. Her heart seemed to stop at that very moment as her eyes moved from his blonde hair that swooped. A small giggled escaped her lips as she looked at him. Was this even real life? This had to be a dream or maybe this was some sort of sick joke. Her life was not a movie. Her life was anxiety, hiding in her closet or even crying her eyes out before going to school. She was even surprised she had the strength to head downstairs. She hated meeting new people. Maybe it was the vibe of the move; she was starting new.

"It's - uh - nice to meet you, Luke. I'm Elise." There it was... the anxiety creeping up her veins, filling her heart and pumping it. With a small lip bite, she tried to push the thoughts away. She needed to start fresh. But her awkwardness wasn't a turn off for Luke, he only just smiled at her and laughed under his breath. Not in a way to upset, but as in 'You're fucking adorable' kind of laughter.

"Why don't you guys go to Elise's room?" Elise's mother said with a smile. The two teenagers looked at each other before nodding their heads. The girl smiled, gesturing him to follow her. It was silent as they made their way into the lilac walled bedroom.

She smiled as she turned to face him, "This is yo dormitorio." Luke raised his brow as he looked at her, but she only giggled in response, "This is my bedroom. Sorry, I was taking Spanish back at home and I'm trying to use it in conversation." Her cheeks stained a pink as she realized how much she was rambling, "Um, you can sit on my bed."

Luke did as he was told, sitting down onto the bed. His eyes roamed the bedroom, "I like all the posters you have. You have a great taste in music." His lips pulled at the corners to show his pearly white teeth. That smile was it; Elise's heart thumped out of her chest as she thanked him.

The conversations went toward all different tangents, but they all met one part: they agreed on everything. Maybe Luke didn't love Jack White as much as Elise might have, but he admired his artist ability. He was talented, but Elise was in love with him. When she talked about him, Luke couldn't help but smile at her attitude. It was fresh to see someone so lovely, welcoming and adorable. Even though they shared likes, Luke wanted to know if this was a facade; he met many girls that faked happy for him just so they could get a kiss or two. He enjoyed her company, he'd be devastated if she was not like this.

"What's your story? Where are you from? I want to know everything, Elise." Luke asked with a smile. Elise's eyebrows shot up, completely shocked by the sudden question. It wasn't like her to express her past, this was a way to run away even if it was really for her father's job. This was her chance to forget about the Elise who cried in the bathrooms at school and was never looked at. But the eagerness in Luke's eyes and the genuine conversations that they were having made her think 'maybe he won't hurt me.'

"Well, I moved from Virgina. I would say that's in the United States, but I'm pretty sure you know that." This made Luke smile, but he continued to listen and not say a single word, "We moved there to here because of my father's job, but for me, it was like... I was putting my past behind me. I'll just jump right into it. I'm the girl who used to cry in the bathroom almost every day. I didn't have friends. No one gave me a chance... but at the same time, I think it was my fault. I have anxiety and I don't think I wanted people to know who I was."

"How come?" Luke asked, narrowing his brows. It seemed as her pain transferred over to him.

Shaking her head, Elise sighed gently, "I don't know. I'm a little weird. I geek over Jack White, Doctor Who, Star Wars, and Sons Of Anarchy. I write. I'm obsessed with musicals. I want to be on Broadway. That dream isn't worth dreaming over. See... at least 5 Seconds Of Summer is.. like going somewhere and I can assume you guys are fucking talented. I'm just there. I'm not as tal-"

Before Elise had the chance to continued to put herself down, Luke cut her off, "I bet you're incredible. I really want to hear you sing. Like now."

Her eyes widened, her hazel eyes gleaming in the light, "What.." She was shocked; no one ever asked for her to sing.

"Yeah... I really want to hear you sing. Just a chorus of something." Luke seemed sincere, not someone who would hear it just to make fun of her. She nodded, taking a deep breath before moving to the keyboard that was already set up. This instrument was her get away. Whenever she felt like she was going to have a panic attack and had time to release her feelings, she pressed on the white keys.

"Have you seen Twilight?" Elise laughed, sitting down on the chair. All she heard was Luke laugh, which made her assume that he did, "Did a girl make you watch it?" He nodded, a small blush onto his cheeks, "It's okay." She replied, turning on the keyboard.

She closed her eyes for a second before starting the chord of the chorus, " Have I found you? Flightless bird, jealous, weeping... Or lost you? American mouth... big pill looming."

There was a silence and with her thoughts, it was something bad. Luke hated her voice, he had to have. She turned off the keyboard, afraid to even look at him. "I - um..." Elise started but like before, Luke cut her off.

"You have such a beautiful voice." Luke replied, "Sorry, I was speechless for a moment." He smiled softly at her, which only made her heart melt. This wasn't like her; to open up to someone, especially a boy and be okay with it.

"Why don't you sing for me?" She asked, a small smile on her lips. With a shrug, he agreed before asking for a guitar. Opening her closet, Elise took out one of her babies: a Fender acoustic. She had gotten it for Christmas when she started high school.

Taking the guitar gently, Luke admired the instrument before starting to strum, "Gravity is working against me... and gravity wants to bring me down. Oh, I'll never know what makes this man with all the love in his heart can stand. Dream of ways to throw it all away."

His voice was like an angel's. It was deep, but it made her heart flutter into the now night sky. Knocking on the door, Elise's mother asked if Luke was going to stay any later.

"I'm not so sure. Maybe like ten more minutes, if that's okay?" Luke asked, his eye contact darting to Elise before back to the girl's mother. Her mother smiled at the boy and reminded him that he could stay as late as possible before heading back down the stairs. He handed her back the guitar before she placed it back into its rightful spot. Luke was now standing as he looked out of her large window with a smile, the moon shining brightly.

Elise moved to stand beside him and looked out at the night sky. Luke smiled as he looked over, trying not to laugh, "What?" Elise asked, shaking her head.

"What is it you want, Elise? What do you want? You want the moon? Just say the word and I'll throw a lasso around it and pull it down. Hey... that's a pretty good idea. I'll give you the moon, Elise." Luke said while still remaining in character. Elise could feel herself melting to the floor. How could he know It's a Wonderful Life so well? She didn't know how to reply, but soon, Luke walked to her desk, taking a sharpie before taking her hand, placing the marker into her palm, "Write your number for me. We can talk until the moon is down. But let's hope it forgets to fall down."
♠ ♠ ♠
song of the chapter; fred astaire by san cisco.
the song she sang; flightless bird, american mouth by iron & wine.
the song he sang; gravity by john mayer.

thanks for reading. leave your thoughts.
jess x