Status: Completed. This is the sequel of The First Cut is the Deepest, so if you haven't read that story, you should read that story first then come back here for this story. =) Third and final installment is already up.

Here We Go Again

Chapter 17

Usually lunchtime was something I always looked forward to. Lately though, it had become something I had been dreading. Months ago, I had gotten used to having lunch with Chris and Will, and everyone else. Since Will and I broke up though, it had been a bit painful for me to even see him. And though I wanted to eat lunch with Chris, he was going to eat lunch with Will and them. And I couldn't do that. So instead, I would either eat in the library or the PJY room. Chris and Hayley had joined me a few times, so I wasn't completely alone all the time. Today was one of those days though where I would be eating alone.

Marissa as well as anyone else weren't in the PJY room, so I really was alone today. I poked at the pasta on my plate with my fork before I took a few bites. I chewed slowly and then swallowed. Food was always a comfort for me but lately, it hadn't really been a comfort anymore. Now, it was more of a chore. I didn't want to eat anymore.

I sighed heavily as I pushed the plate away from me, dropping the fork on top of it. I covered the plate with a lid that the cafeteria lady gave me and set it to the side. I let out a big yawn and covered my mouth with my hand. Not only had I been eating a lot less, I hadn't been sleeping well either. I got maybe four to five hours of sleep the night before and three to four hours of sleep last night.

I let another yawn escape my mouth as I placed my arms on the table and rested my head on them.

Maybe I could catch a bit of sleep before sixth period starts.

Image


Chris


When fifth period ended, I picked up Hayley from her class before we made our way to the library. I was planning on picking up Nicole so we could eat lunch together. I noticed she didn't like to eat lunch with us at the canteen with Will there, so she would usually just buy her lunch quickly and then leave the canteen to go back to the library or go to the PJY room.

I was surprised to find that she wasn't there though. I found Travis, Annabella's old roommate, sitting at a table on the side. I had found out by Will that Annabella had moved back into his room, but I felt it wasn't necessarily to tell Nicole about it just yet. I walked up to him, Hayley trailing after me. Nicole had told me a few times that she had been talking to him more, so I figured I would ask him where Nicole was.

"Hey, Travis," I started as I stood in front of him. "do you know where Nicole went?" He looked up from packing up his bag and locked eyes with me.

"She left not too long ago to get lunch," he replied in a deep voice. I nodded in understanding. I guess we just missed her then.

"Oh, alright. Thanks, mate," I said with a pat on his shoulder. He just nodded at me as he turned back to his bag. As I turned away and started to guide Hayley back out, I stopped and turned back around. "Were you heading to the canteen?" I asked politely. He looked back up at me in confusion.

"Yes, why?" he asked.

"Let's walk there together then. We're all headed in the same direction." His look of confusion changed into surprise. "Is that alright with you?" I asked him as I wrapped an arm around Hayley's shoulders. She instinctively reached up and entwined her fingers with my hand that was on top of her shoulder.

"Um, sure," Travis finally said as he slung his bag over his shoulder. I grinned at him as I turned around again and headed towards the canteen.

As we walked, I noticed that Travis kept his distance and walked behind Hayley and I instead of next to us. I slowed Hayley and I's pace and fell into pace next to Travis.

"So," I started to make conversation. "you're in the same club as Nicole, right?"

"Aye, but we usually don't run into each other as often in the PJY room," he explained. I nodded as Hayley finally spoke up.

"What's your job in the club?" she quietly piped in as she leaned forward to see past me at Travis.

"I'm one of the journalism writers," he answered. She nodded as she moved back. We continued to walk to the canteen in a comfortable silence, keeping pace with Travis to not make him feel left out. If he was Nicole's friend, he was my friend.

When we got to the canteen, I noted the fairly long line. I groaned at the sight but we got in line anyway.

"Go sit down. I'll get your lunch for you," I said as I turned to Hayley. She just shook her head at me and didn't move from my side.

"No, it's fine. I'll get my own lunch," she said in her quiet voice. If I wasn't so close to her, I probably wouldn't have heard her over the noise of the canteen.

"Babe, I'm trying to be sweet here and get you lunch," I said with a laugh. She just grinned as she stepped closer to me.

"I know," she said with a knowing grin. I shook my head at her, a smile on my lips. I placed a hand on the back her head and placed a chaste kiss on her forehead before I turned to the lunch lady. This girl...

We got and paid for our lunch, and as Travis paid for his own lunch behind me, I glanced around the canteen. I found Will, Annabella, Sara, and James at a table near the center of the canteen. I made eye contact with Will and he waved us over. I shook my head at him and gestured my head towards the canteen doors, signaling that I wasn't going to eat in here but somewhere else. He nodded slowly as he probably realized I was going to sit with Nicole. He knew it was awkward with all of us at the moment, so he never questioned it.

After Travis paid for his food, he stood next to Hayley and I. "Where were you going to eat?" I asked him. He shrugged before he replied.

"Probably the PJY room."

"That's probably where Nicole went. Do you mind if we join you for lunch then?" I asked.

"That's fine," he replied. I nodded and we headed towards the PJY room.

When we got there, I noticed the room was empty except for Nicole. She had her arms on the table in front of her with her head resting on them. It looked like she was sleeping, so we entered the room quietly. I set my lunch down on the table next to her before I noticed her own lunch on the other side of her, barely touched. I furrowed my eyebrows in concern at that. I pulled out two chairs for Hayley and I as Travis pulled up his own chair across from us. Nicole stirred in her sleep and moved her head so I could see her face. I don't know what she was dreaming of, but it looked like something bad, because she had a somewhat pained expression on her face. I continued to watch as her face only contorted more into pain. I gently nudged at her shoulder to wake her up. If she was having a bad dream or something, I didn't want to just leave her like that. I nudged at her shoulder one more time before she jumped in her seat, her eyes opening suddenly. She looked dazed as she stared at her surroundings, a glazed look in her eyes.

"You alright then?" I asked as I patted her shoulder. She finally laid her eyes on me before she hesitantly nodded at me.

"Yeah, I'm fine," she replied as she relaxed in her seat. I didn't go into it as we started to eat our lunch.

Image


Nicole


I woke up to someone nudging my shoulders to wake me up. I was slightly confused as to where as I was at first, but Chris' voice suddenly brought me back to reality. I realized I was in the PJY room with Chris, Hayley, and Travis surrounding me. I replied to Chris' question if I was alright and told him I was before I relaxed in my seat. I glanced at the time on the wall and realized that I had only been asleep for about fifteen minutes.

I let out a sigh as I rubbed the back of my neck. In just a matter of fifteen minutes, I already had a nightmare. I was hoping that if I took a quick nap, I wouldn't get one, but I still did. I let out another sigh. This was just one of the main reasons why I didn't much sleep anymore. I was still getting nightmares. Ever since Will broke it off, I would get nightmares almost every night. And if I didn't dream of nightmares, I would dream of what Will and I did two days right before we broke up. So I would either wake up terrified or wake up feeling dirty and used. They were both equally bad and now I was starting to be afraid to go to sleep.

I tried to brush those thoughts from my head as I once again tried to eat my lunch.

Image


I told Erin when I got home that same day about moving back into the dorms and she was beyond surprised. I explained to her what Travis and I spoke about today. She somewhat understood the situation, but then she asked about the apartment. I told her it was still my apartment and that I would still stay there. During the weekdays, I would be in the dorms and on the weekends, I would be back at the apartment. I also told her that while I was gone during the week, she would have to take care of the place. She said she would, but she still questioned Travis. I said it would be fine and if anything were to happen, my best friends would have my back. She smiled and hugged me before she left me to pack my things.

I was somewhat glad she didn't hassle me about it. I was scared she would start to catch onto my recent habits. The not eating as much, the fewer amount of sleep I got each night, and just an overall lethargic attitude about everything. Hopefully, Travis wouldn't catch these new habits of mine.
♠ ♠ ♠
So here's the next chapter. Not much really happened here, so... =/
Anyway, feedback would be great! Comment, subscribe, and recommend! Please and thank you! =)