My Heart Can't Be Broken If It's Not Beating

Chapter 1

It was daytime. Everyone else was asleep. I sat fully clothed on the bed watching the door.

Thinking.

I had been hunting for 3 years when I travelled to Chicago where the infestation was worse.
I tracked 2 of them to an alley east of Riverside. They were young, female, and easy to hunt. They were targeting a young man when I interfered.

I took one of them unexpectantly from above landing hard on her back. Her companion immediately attacked, fangs bared but I managed to knock her to the ground and send a stake fiercely into her heart, becoming dust instantly.

The other was back on her feet and obviously angered. She sent me back against the cool brick and I struggled to stand. Luckily, she pulled me to my feet and I managed a swift kick to her stomach.

Thats when I noticed there was another among us. He was male but I didnt track him with the others. I took a vile of holy water from my pocket and threw it at the females eyes. She screamed and struggled through the pain. I took this as a chance to stake her. As soon as she was taken care of I attacked the male much to his surprise. I threw him against the wall and pointed the stake at his chest. I took one last look into his eyes and noticed they were a hazel colour, different to the dark shades I see in the others eyes.

He growled before I heard movement to my left. As I went to stake him I heard a loud noise and something painfully hit my arm. I groaned in pain and stepped away from the figure in front of me looking down at my left arm. Blood was beginning to erupt from the wound and an arrow lay motionless on the ground behind me.

"What the fu-" I began to say and looked to where the arrow had come from but stopped when I noticed 3 humans standing in the alley, one with a crossbow in hand, the others with various weapons.

"Shit, she's human," the guy with glasses said worriedly.

"Are you ok?" they all asked running over, "We thought you were a vampire" I was confused and looked over to the vampire I had almost killed. He went to their side.

"He's with you?" I spoke through the pain in my arm.

They nodded still shocked by my humanness.

"Who are you?" the vampire asked angrily.

"I'm the one who got shot, I think Ill be asking the questions"

"Yes and we'll answer them later but right now I think we need to get you fixed up" the one who had shot me approached and inspected my wound.

"Why should I trust you?" I asked, turning away from him.

"Because we wont hurt you" he looked at my arm, "...anymore"

I gave in realising that I was losing a lot of blood from my arm and would need help patching it up.

"By the way, Im Patrick, this is Joe, Andy" he gestured to the two carrying weapons "and Pete" he indicated to the vampire who still had a menacing look on his face.

"Im Riley" was all I told them before they led me out of the alley.