My Heart Can't Be Broken If It's Not Beating

Chapter 11

The past week, things have turned out pretty odd. Well, as odd as you can get when you live in a world of vampires. Firstly, I've seen Lena every night this week and now we get on like we used to, before she died. Mostly we just reminisce but it's also nice to have a break from all those boys.

Then there's the whole Joe thing. Honestly, I like him, but when we're hunting he's way too overprotective and I'm so used to being alone most of the time that its weird to have someone always holding my hand and talking to me.

But the thing that’s bothered me most this week? Not speaking a single word to Pete. Usually I'd be more than happy to not speak to him at all but in some sick, twisted way I kind of miss our arguments…

"Riley? Are you up?" I sighed as Joe tapped on my door. Sitting up on the bed I swung my legs over and began to put on my shoes.

"Yeah I'm coming, give me a minute"

The one release I did get from all of this drama was hunting and right now there was nothing I felt like doing more than beating the shit out of some vampires.

I stood up and moved to the small cracked mirror that had been set up in my room, staring warily at the girl before me. Every time you look in the mirror you're supposed to notice something different about yourself, or something you want to change. For me, every time I look in the mirror I saw a different person and I wanted to change everything about her. Slowly, I ran my hands through my slightly greasy hair before tying it up loosely then using my long fingers to poke at the almost permanent purple bags that had settled under my eyes. Nothing I could do about that one.

Sighing heavily I exited my room and headed for the kitchen where they guys were loading weapons and psyching themselves up.

"Where's Pete?" as soon as I asked I immediately regretted it. Why should I care where Pete is?

"He's with the priest…" Andy answered, confused by my question.

"Of course he is. So what's going on tonight?" I quickly changed the subject.

Patrick answered as he double-checked the crossbow in his hands, not quite meeting my eyes. "Well, we're trying something different tonight, something to draw them out"

I narrowed my eyes at the 3 boys in front of me, all busying themselves with something so they didn't have to look at me.

"And that something would be?"

Joe sighed and walked over, taking my hands in his own and facing me.
"Pete thought that since you and I are together now we might be able to use it to our advantage…"

Immediately my eyes went wide and I could feel the anger rising through my body.
"He wants us to be bate?" I shouted disbelievingly. "I can't believe him! I'm going to kill that son of a-"

"Riley calm down," Joe reasoned, holding my hands tighter so I couldn't storm off. "I won't let anything happen to you" he whispered, leaning in closer to kiss me softly. I wanted to tell him that it wasn't me I was worried about, but almost instantly I felt calmer as my mind focused on the kiss.

"I'm still going to kick his ass" I muttered against Joe's lips. He chuckled and pulled away, remembering the others in the room but not letting go of my hands.

"I'm sure you will"

"Speaking of which, Riley could you go and grab Pete from his room? I think we're ready to head off" Patrick questioned, pulling us out of our 'moment'.

"Don't kill him" Joe whispered jokingly in my ear as he pecked my cheek and let me go.

I smiled and rolled my eyes at him before walking back towards the bedrooms. It got darker and quieter back here as I heard the voices in the kitchen become softer with each corner I turned, leading me deeper into the warehouse.

"Pete hurry the fuck-" I began to shout but ended up colliding with someone and falling roughly to the floor.

"Are you right there?" I spat angrily assuming it was Pete. Standing up I began to brush the dust from the back of my jeans but came face to face with someone much taller and from what I could tell from when I ran into them, much more built then Pete. Even with the shadows hiding most of his appearance and even though I'd only met him once, I knew it was the priest.

Without even acknowledging me he just walked past like nothing happened, a blank expression on his face. I watched him go before turning back and this time finding myself face to face with Pete.

"Whoa where did you come from?" I asked, rubbing my now sore shoulder.

"What happened?" Pete questioned, concern evident in his eyes as he looked to my shoulder.

"Your boyfriend seems to be made of bricks and I just happened to walk straight into him"

Pete sighed, obviously not amused, "1. He couldn't be my boyfriend because hey, he's a priest and 2. I'm not gay. Now, pull your shirt down."

"Excuse me? I get it, your not gay, you don't have to prove it" I laughed nervously stepping away from him. He just rolled his eyes.

"To check your shoulder you idiot"

"Oh right. Its fine though, just a little out of place," I assured him, rolling it out.

"Good. I don't want you slowing us down tonight. We have to try out the new plan." He began slipping past me and heading for the kitchen.

"Yeah, yeah I know. Use the happy couple as bate, blah, blah, blah" I sighed unhappily as I followed him back to the others. All I could think though was how our first conversation in a week was actually civil and I wasn't left wanting to rip his arms off.

*******

"Ok so you know the plan right?" Patrick asked for the eighth time.

"Yes. Joe and I are in the car, vampires attack, the rest of you jump out and kill them. That it?"

"In not so many words I guess…"

"Great! Can we get in the car now please? Its freezing out here"

The car was parked at the top of Miller's point, looking out over the city. It was the place all the teenagers came out to at night to do naughty things in their cars and the place where all the vampires came to do even naughtier things to the teenagers, like drinking their blood.

Pete's all so elaborate plan involved Joe and I being those said teenagers and luring out the vampires. Once they come out, Patrick, Andy and Pete are pop out of their hiding spots with crossbows and such and kill them. Simple enough right?

"I cannot believe we're letting Pete do this" I sighed, resting my head back against the seat and closing my eyes as Joe slammed his door.

"Don't worry we'll be fine" he assured me, squeezing my hand drawing my attention the multiple weapons we had on the backseat, let alone the stakes I had stashed in my coat.
"Besides, its kind of like a date for us" he winked, giving me an incredibly cheesy grin. I just laughed and shook my head. Since we were hunters and it was pretty much impossibly to do social things these days, Joe and I couldn't really go out on dates.

"So how long is this going to take?" I wondered out loud.

"Who knows. It could take- holy shit!" we both exclaimed as something big landed on the roof, rocking the car. Suddenly it was quiet and Joe and I began frantically looking around. I saw Patrick appear out of the bushes and raise his crossbow at the car, shouting something at us and then all of a sudden my window smashed and a female vampire reached in and grabbed my arm. She was growling and trying to pull me out but I sunk lower in my seat swung my legs around so I could kick her out. I heard Joe yelling and another window smash and I looked over to see him being pulled out of the car.

"Patrick do something!" I screamed trying to use my free hand to reach for one of my stakes. Then both my hands were free and the vampire was gone, Andy standing in her place, breathing heavily.

"Go!" I yelled at him as I opened the door and almost fell out. Looking up I saw Patrick fiddling with the crossbow, trying to make it work, his hands trembling. Looking under the car across to Joe's side I could see feet scuffling around before the body of a vampire dropped to the ground, but only for a second before it jumped back on its feet and the scuffling began again.

My arm was stinging and I noticed the deep, bloody scratches from where I had been grabbed. That was the least of my worries. Patrick was still standing there, in front of the car, trying to make the crossbow work. That's when I saw the vampire run for him.

"Patrick, behind you!" I warned, but then there were hands helping me up, lifting me to my feet. But they weren't helping hands, they were cold, pale hands attached to the gangly arms of a seething male vampire, pulling me away from the car and out of view.

"Brendon was right about you" he said in a husky voice, eyes trailing me up and down before stopping on my arm and licking his lips.

"What do you mean? What did Brendon say?" I questioned hurriedly, trying to distract him from the blood flowing from my arm with every quickened heartbeat I was feeling in my chest.

"He has great things planned for you" he chuckled darkly to himself. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Pete rounding a tree and spotting us, eyes dark and ready to strike. I shot him a look and shook my head slightly, warning him to stay back. He looked confused but stood his ground.

"Are they plans from my brother?" I could feel the blood loss starting to get to me. I wouldn't last much longer.

"Not quite," the vampire smirked "but either way, it will be an honor for me to have the first taste…" he trailed off as his lips lowered to my arm and I felt dizzy. Next thing I know I'm falling to the ground and Pete's got the vampire pinned to a tree, that stupid smirk still on his face.

"What's Brendon going to do! Spit it out or you're losing a limb" Pete demanded, stake poised at his chest.

"Whatever you do to me will be nothing compared to what Brendon will do to her" the vampire laughed before pushing himself onto the stake and falling lifelessly to the ground.

Pete just stood there shocked and annoyed, clenching his fists.

"How are the others?" I asked, getting to my feet.

"They're fine" Pete muttered, not offering to help me as he headed back to the car.

I began to follow him wondering why he hadn't offered to help me. Then I looked down at my arm and groaned, "That's a lot of blood".
♠ ♠ ♠
As my class loves to say, "ooooo foreshadowing"
I wrote some of this whilst watching CSI with my mum. I'm so cool.
And thanks to the 2 people who commented my last chapter lol, at least you made me smile.
The Fever is coming! Only Krish knows what that means but as a hint it involves a lot of physical contact with shirtless Pete.

xx