My Heart Can't Be Broken If It's Not Beating

Chapter 12

"What the fuck happened back there?" Pete exclaimed one we all made it back to the warehouse in one piece more or less. Joe had scratches on his neck, Patrick had some cuts and bruises, Andy had what appeared to be a sprained ankle, my arm was all torn up and Pete? Well whatever Pete had wrong with him had managed to heal on the car trip back, except the massive stick still wedged up his ass.

"Oh give it a rest Pete. We weren't expecting more than 2 vampires and some of the weapons didn't work. At least we're all alive" I tried to reason tiredly, not in the mood to get into an argument right now.

"But look what happened!" he gestured to all of us. I turned to the other guys who were looking pretty tired as well and in need of some supplies
.
"Why don't you guys go into the kitchen and get some yourselves fixed up?" I suggested to them, hinting that I needed to talk to Pete.

"What about your arm?" Joe asked huskily whilst nursing his neck. I looked down and saw most of the blood had dried, leaving a swirl of black and red down my arm.

"I'll be there in a minute"

They all hobbled off silently and probably expecting a fight between Pete and I. Once they were out of the room I turned to him and sighed.

"Is this about Brendon?"

Pete looked down, raising his hand and pinching the bridge of his nose before facing me again. There was a long pause before he spoke.

"It just means there's more for us to worry about"

"Pete you don't have worry about it. It's probably just Beckett trying to mess with us"

"But you don't know that!" he spat, suddenly angry again.

"Just leave it to me. The vampire didn't say anything about you or the others"

He sighed, "but if it involves you it involves all of us"

Pete was right. I was one of them now and if Brendon had something planned it would affect all of us and I couldn't let anything happen to these guys. They took me in and I literally owe them my life.

There was only one person I could talk to about this, but right now I needed to take care of the dull ache beginning to grow in my arm.

"You know, I would help you with that if it wasn't for… well, you know" Pete smiled sheepishly at my arm. It hadn't really occurred to me until now how difficult it must be for Pete being around all this blood. No wonder he didn't help me back to the car.

"I know. You'd probably stuff it up anyway" I joked, heading for the kitchen. As I passed Pete, I noticed something in his eyes that I never thought I'd see.

Fear.

*******

"Do you think Pete's ok?" Joe asked me as we lay on his bed. Joe's room was different to mine. His walls were painted a dark green color and there were band posters on the walls, as well as a guitar in the corner. There were various weapons scattered on his desk and just as many clothes scattered on his floor. A typical boy's room.

After everyone got bandaged up and parted ways to get some sleep, Joe and I had come to his room. I was tucked in against his side, my head resting on his chest while he dragged his fingers through my hair. It was very soothing and if I were anyone else I'd probably be asleep.

"I'm sure he's fine" I muttered before raising my head slightly to examine Joe's bandages. He winced as I reached up and my fingers ghosted over his neck.

"Sorry" I whispered and returned my head back to its place on his chest whilst his fingers returned to my hair.

"You two aren't fighting as much" he stated suddenly.

"I know. I think we've managed to get over the whole constant hatred thing. Its weird."

I could feel the movements as he nodded. "How's your arm?"

I looked down at the bandage almost covering my entire arm. It seemed I had to keep reminding myself it was there.

"It's numb. I think my body's used to the pain now"

"I'm still annoyed at Pete for putting you in that situation"

"And you as well! I'm not the only one who got an injury out of this" I reminded him.

"I still think it's his fault" Joe huffed.

"I'm not saying it isn't but I just think we need to cut him a bit of slack" I lifted my head to look at Joe. He narrowed his eyes, studying my face.

"Why are you defending him?"

I paused. Why was I defending him? Usually I'd want to blame him for the whole thing, and do it to his face as well. But this time, I think we were both just worried about the same thing.

"I should really go to sleep now" I lied, knowing I had no intention to. Breaking my gaze from Joe I kissed his cheek before hopping off the bed and straightening out my hair as I left the room.

********

Pete and I shared a common worry for Patrick, Andy and Joe. We both knew that if Brendon was planning something for me then it meant it was going to affect everyone else as well. I needed to find out what his plan was and stop it from happening before all of us were in danger.

The trip up to the roof was routine for me most nights, this one being no different. Talking to Lena was of the only things in my life right now which I looked forward to, an escape from the world of vampires and my friends. Ironically, Lena was both. This time, when I stepped out into the cool air and pulled my jacket closer around my body, I was actually a little scared to talk to her, scared of what she could tell me.

Just like always, she was there, waiting for me in her dress, still looking exactly the same.

"Do you ever wear something different?" I joked as I stood beside her and joined her gaze over the city.

She turned to me and smiled, "When you live forever it becomes mildly pointless to worry about changing clothes"

I just nodded, thinking about how to ask her. I needed to get to the point. Luckily, she beat me to it.

"There's something bothering you. I can see it in your face"

I breathed in deep and pursed my lips.

"Tonight I went hunting with the guys and we got into a bit of trouble," I explained, rolling up my sleeve and revealing the bandage. Lena looked at me concerned but let me continue.

"After this happened," I gestured to my arm, "a vampire pulled me away and mentioned something about Brendon…"

Lena's face froze for a second and she looked away quickly but only to look back at me with confusion and curiosity in her eyes.

"What did he say?"

"He said that Brendon had plans for me and I was wondering if you knew what they were"

She sighed and looked down.

"Well?" I pushed.

"Well what?" she met my eyes, "even if I knew something I couldn't tell you! It's like betraying my family!"

"But what about me? I'm your best friend!" I yelled, feeling like I was back in high school.

"But you're also the enemy!" she shouted back before going quiet and realising what she had said. The wave of anger that had taken over me was replaced as one of sadness as she shook her head.

"I don't think we can meet anymore" she whispered.

I nodded slowly, blinking away the tears that were threatening my eyes. "You're right," I agreed before turning around and heading for the stairs.

"Riley wait" she pleaded from behind me but it was no use, I was already slamming the door to the roof. All I could think was how she was right. We were enemies. We couldn't have it both ways. But I also felt betrayed that she wouldn't help me. Everyone's lives were in danger and it was all my fault.

But as I paced my room, suddenly the solution became clear.
A way that meant the others wouldn't get hurt because of me.
A way that meant everyone was happy.
A way that meant now I had to pack my bags.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow they're getting long. I think the next one is the beginning of The Fever.
I'm still sick, my voice is gone and I'm literally sitting in a pile of tissues. Oh and my brother yells at me to stop sniffing like every 5 minutes.

Thank you to Krisha, my only comment on the last chapter and thank you to all my silent subscribers because even though you don't comment at least I know you're reading :)

xx