My Heart Can't Be Broken If It's Not Beating

Chapter 15

"What! Why?" I exclaimed looking between the two.

Without another word, Pete easily picked me up and moved me further over in the bed as he hesitantly got in beside me.

"Why are you in my bed?" I asked slightly scared and trying to create as much space between us as possible.

"It’s the only way Riley" Patrick said simply.

Pete took off his shirt and I immediately moved even farther away from him so I was nearly falling off the bed.

"Hey I don’t think sex with Pete is the only way!" I pleaded.

"We're not going to have sex Riley," Pete cringed "I'm just going to cool you down"

"Umm, alright then, I guess…" I said, slightly worried as I relaxed more in the bed.

"I'll leave you guys to it" Patrick smiled and left the room, shutting the door behind him.

"Ok so now what?" I asked Pete as we sat uncomfortably next to each other.

"I think you need to be a little closer…"

"Great" I muttered sarcastically as I unwillingly moved closer to him.

"Hey, I don’t want to do this anymore than you do"

Then all of a sudden his arms were around me, his body instantly having a cooling affect on mine.

"Better?" he asked nervously.

"You don't even know" I sighed. He laughed a bit.

After a few minutes like that we both lay down in the bed to get more comfortable. The fact that Pete and I were this close didn't really bother me as I was too focused on how much better I was feeling. It was like being in an ice bath, but I needed more.

Absentmindedly I released myself from Pete and sat up, taking off my shirt and slipping out of my pants so I was only in my bra and underwear. Pete just lay there staring at me in shock and beginning to look a little embarrassed.

"You don't tell anyone about this ever" I warned as I moved closer to him again, welcoming even more cold than before. Pete was still for a moment but seemed to relax. I flinched slightly as his hand came around and rested on my bare back whilst I put my hands around his neck and pressed my cheek against his, our legs entwined. We sat in silence for a while, ignoring the awkwardness and focussing on not making any wrong moves.

"I'm only doing this so you can fight again and I can kick your ass" Pete said into my ear.

His breath gave me welcome chills down my spine and I prayed that he thought it was from the cold.

"Thanks, I'm glad you care so much" I replied sarcastically. He laughed a bit and I felt his chest move against mine. My breath caught in my throat and my heart started to beat faster. Why was my body acting this way? Its Pete. Yuck. Ok so maybe being half naked and pressed up against him wasn’t really helping my train of thought right now but he doesn’t know that. I just really hope he thinks my reaction to him has to do with the fever and not me beingattracted next to him. Then I realised something.

"H-hey Pete?" I stuttered, swallowing nervously.

"Yes?" he questioned in my ear giving me chills again. I took a deep breath before continuing.

"You're not reading my mind right now are you?"

He went still for a second but quickly recovered.

"No, I can't. I think the fever has messed with your mind or something"

I breathed a sigh of relief. Finally some privacy. It's too hard to concentrate on blocking him out whilst being sick and this close to him.

"Why? Thinking about me naked?" he teased and I felt him smile against my cheek.

"In your weird vampire dreams Pete" I laughed.

"Don't you think its weird that a month ago we couldn't even look at each other and now we're lying half naked in bed together?"

"Don't remind me" I groaned realising how much I didn’t mind that statement. Yep, this fever is definitely messing with my mind.

"Aren't you getting hot?" I asked curiously. Pete laughed.

"I'm not that turned on"

"Gross Pete. I meant because of my temperature"

"No, it's amazing to finally feel some warmth after so long. It probably feels just as good to me as it does to you."

Minutes passed. Maybe hours. I was feeling remarkably better.

"Why did you leave?" Pete's voice suddenly brought me out of the trance I had seemed to be in.

"Because of Brendon" I sighed thinking about how ironic this situation was. I left to make sure Brendon didn't get to the guys when in fact it was him who had pushed me back to them.

"Don't do it again ok?" I stayed silent contemplating why he said that.

"Because Joe missed you and stuff" he quickly finished and I sighed. Of course that’s why.

"Hey Riley?" Pete whispered.

"Mmm" I mumbled noticing how heavy my eyelids were and the relaxing effect Pete's voice had on me.

"Why don't you go to sleep?"

"I can't" I replied simply, finishing with a yawn.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean I physically cant. I haven’t been able to sleep in months. It's incredibly annoying. The only sleep I've gotten was when I passed out before and lets just say that wasn’t the most pleasant experience" I remembered the girl from my dream and shuddered.

"Well why don't you close your eyes and try" he suggested.

"Whatever Wentz, it won't work" I sighed and for once did what he asked, getting more comfortable against his body.
♠ ♠ ♠
My English exam is over! I'm happy. I probably didn't do too well but whatever. Anyway now I'm at home and about to study for Maths but thought I should post this for you guys because I won't be getting to post again for a while coz of exams and stuff. I can't believe I wrote this chapter like over a year ago...

Thank you to every single person who comments this story, it means a lot and I'm really enjoying getting to know the new friends I'm making because of it.

I'm off to see Bloc Party and Van She in a few hours, both of which I LOVE. Hopefully it won't go too late because I have a maths exam early tomorrow morning.

xx