My Heart Can't Be Broken If It's Not Beating

Chapter 2

There were no windows so I couldn't tell if it was day or night. It didn't affect me anyway. When I reached the kitchen I grabbed some food and was surprised to hear voices coming from the living room.

"What are you doing up?" Patrick immediately asked, pausing in his conversation to Joe and Andy as I walked in. The three looked at me as I went and sat lazily in a chair across from them, cereal box in hand.

"Insomnia remember?" I replied casually. "What about you guys?"

"Patrick has some new ideas for weapons," Andy answered in a tired voice. I chucked him the cereal and grimaced.

"I still think you should stick with the simple, 'stake through the heart', 'axe through the neck' thing" he took a handful and chucked the cereal box back. I stupidly went to catch it in my left hand but groaned in pain as I withdrew my hand and let the box drop to the floor.

"Are you ok?" Joe asked concerned, hurrying to my side.

"Its fine, its fine" I reassured him but his hands went to the bandage on my arm.

"Its still painful" he said, more of a statement than a question.

I had been staying here for 2 weeks since that night they found me. They were hunters as well and seemed shocked that I did it on my own. I originally planned to stay for 1 night but when I returned to the apartment I had been renting, my stuff was all over the place. Someone obviously didn't want me in town. When I didn't have anywhere where to go they suggested I live and hunt with them permanently. I accepted, even though I knew I would have to live with Pete. Pete, the filthy bloodsucker who immediately hated me after I tried to kill him. I don't blame him though, its not like I treat him like a basket of kittens. He was always angry but when it came to me it was like a whole different situation. The other guys try to stay out of it whenever we fight but sometimes they get caught in the middle.

"What are you all doing up?" Pete asked bitterly walking through the doorway. Speak of the devil. Literally.

"Weapons" Andy replied simply.

"What about her?" he gestured to me with a look of disgust on his face.

"Bite me" I replied nastily.

"My pleasure" he spat before briskly leaving the room. I pulled a face and threw a handful of cereal at the space he had just vacated. I noticed the silence and looked towards the others who were now looking displeased by my actions.

"What?" I asked defensively, "He deserved it"

They shook their heads before Patrick sighed and adjusted his hat. "You're going to have to get along with him sometime"

"It's not like he makes an effort" I pointed out.

"We'll talk about it later, in the meantime it's almost midday. We should get some rest."

Because of the infestation we had been forced to take up the vampires sleeping patterns. Not that I sleep anyway.
Day became night and vice versa. We were here first but we have to live by their rules.

"Are you sure your ok?" Joe asked again as he was about to leave.

"Yes, I'm sure" I smiled at him and they all moved through the warehouse I now call home. I also went back to my room but not to sleep. I went into the bathroom and looked in the mirror. My brown hair was falling past my shoulders and my eyes were as green as ever. I changed into jeans and a simple t-shirt before heading for the only place I felt comfortable going.

The training room was near the back of the warehouse and was also where we stored the weapons. I had only been hunting with they guys a couple of times but they sure had a different style of fighting. They used fancy crossbows and nets when all I needed was a stake, holy water and, if I was lucky, an axe.

All around the room were targets and things you could beat up. Definitely my kind of place. I tied my hair back and walked toward the weapons cabinet selecting a few stakes. Making my way to the centre of the room I positioned myself and threw a stake at the target on the wall, hitting straight in the chest.

Pete. Thats who I thought of as the stake flew across the room.

Suddenly I heard the door open behind me.

"What do you want bloodsucker?" I questioned not turning around. I didnt need to. Only one person would bother me while I was training.

"You dont sleep," he said simply.

"You dont piss off," I countered.

"Patrick says were going hunting tonight" I turned to look at him only to realise how close he actually was. The only other time we'd been this close was when I first had him against that wall in the alley. What I never noticed was how his dark hair fell perfectly around his face. His eyes still confused me with their hazel colour. Vampires should have dark eyes. Almost black.

"Great, so you can leave me alone to train then" I stated, breaking the silence and turning back to the target.

"Whatever" he snarled before I heard the door shut behind him.

Why does he always appear when I hate him most?