My Heart Can't Be Broken If It's Not Beating

Chapter 4

Pete and I returned to the warehouse an hour later only to find a worried looking Patrick sitting in the kitchen waiting for us. He looked relieved when we came in.

"Where have you two been?"

"Oh I just had Pete violate my mind" I replied matter-of-factly.

"Hey I saved you life!" he defended whilst getting out the ingredients for his blend.

Obviously we hadn't become best friends since Pete 'helped me out'.

"Well maybe if you-"

"Can you guys stop for a second please?" Patrick interrupted "I have something you both need to hear"

Pete and I stopped and looked at him confused. Before he could continue Joe and Andy entered the kitchen and next thing I knew Joe was hugging me.

"I'm so glad you're ok" he looked me up and down "I thought you two had killed each other or something"

"Hey!" Pete and I objected together.

"I was just concerned about my friends' safety," he said simply.

"Ok now everyone listen" Patrick spoke up and we all sat around the table. Except Pete who stood against a wall, probably separating himself me.

"It appears we might be in a bit of trouble"

"What do you mean?" I questioned. Andy and Joe had the same concerned expression as Patrick so I assumed Pete and I were the only ones who didn't know.

"Well, while we were out hunting, the three of us ran into someone" he was hesitant to continue and before he could, Pete let out a growl and stormed out of the room, obviously having read Patrick's mind. Now I was the only on who didnt know.

"What is his problem? Who did you see?"

Patrick sighed, "Two words. William Beckett"

My heart literally stopped. Did he really just say that? I tried the shock on my face. Maybe he was talking about someone different.

"Who's William Beckett?" I decided to play dumb.

All three boys looked at me as if I had just asked who Santa was.

"He's the biggest, most dangerous vampire in Chicago" Andy explained, "he controls pretty much everything."

Most dangerous? Beckett? I tried to muffle my laugh. I was unsuccessful.

"What's so funny?"

"Oh nothing," I lied. "he just seems like quite the puppet master"

Once again they all looked at me strangely.

"Sorry, continue" I let Andy go on.

"Like I was saying, he controls everything, even the police. We hardly ever see him so thats why were so shocked to see him tonight"

I listened intently, still unable to believe what they were saying.

"It was weird that he just let us go without a fight, we think he's planning something," Patrick added.

"Like what?"

"It could be anything"

"Helpful. So what's he got to do with Pete?" I asked curiously, referring to Pete's dramatic exit before.

"Beckett is the one who turned Pete. The one Pete wants revenge on"

"So thats why he went all drama queen before" I realised.

"Yeh pretty much" Joe laughed.

"He's probably just pissed that he didn't get a chance to fight. I better go make sure he's ok" Patrick stood up.

"Yeh and I'm going to bed" Andy yawned and left leaving Joe and I in silence.

"Should we be worried about Beckett?" I almost winced when I said it. I havent said that name in years.

Joe looked up, studying my face, "No," he said and thought about it a bit more. "I think that as long as we stay out of his way, everything will be fine" he smiled at me weakly before kissing my forehead and wandering off to bed.

Why did his words sound like such a lie to me?

I stood up and headed to my room, turning off all the lights on my way assuming that everyone was now in bed. I silently got ready for another sleepless night and let my thoughts wander. I would have to work on that. I couldnt have Pete shuffling through my mind all the time, especially now that William is back in my head.

Why did he have to be here in this town?

Does he know I'm here? I thought he was gone forever. I guess I was wrong. Pete better not find out about this.

My main priority now is learning to keep my thoughts to myself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Scandal. Comments?