If I Said Your Smile's All That Mattered, Would You Save My Life?

Preface.

As I lied there, I could hear Konstantine playing softly in the background. From the moment I heard that song for the first time, I knew it would always be my favourite.

I remember most of the time when people would ask what my favourite song was, I would tell them and they would reply: "Oh, yeah, because you have the same name as the song."

With every person that would say that to me, I'd try to explain that it was so much more than that. And also, my name itself was spelled different than the song, I having a 'C' instead of a 'K'.

And then there were the few that understood the genius of Andrew McMahon. He was one of them. He fell in love with the song the moment I forced him to listen to it. From then on, the two of us would always spell confusion with a 'k' an inside joke to all Something Corporate fans.

And of course, he was the only one that would have understood how important it was for me to hear the song as my heart beat slowed beneath my chest. He was the only one that knew I wanted---needed, even---to fade away to the sound of Andrew's voice.

Neither of us cried, despite how fast death was coming. We simply looked at each other, small smiles on our faces as he held me in his arms.

"I love you." His words surprised me, but my smile grew regardless.

"I love you, too, Jack," I whispered, my voice almost inaudible. "And I always will," I added, moving my body closer to his.

Silence entered the room as the song ended. Jack lifted his arm off me and pressed play once more. Pain slowly over came my body once more as the sound of Andrew's voice flooded into my mind and heart once more.

I used the little strength I had to sing along. Jack soon joined me, the sound of his voice sending goosebumps up and down my spine.

The song continued. Half way through the song, I couldn't sing any longer. Jack continued on without me. "It's to dying in another's arms and why I had to try it."

I smiled at the words, Jack holding me closer, as if his life depended on it. As if all of humanity depended on this very moment.

And then, finally, the end came.
♠ ♠ ♠
So thank you for reading the preface of my new Jack Barakat story. Meaning, everything after this chapter will have happened before. And thanks my dear Michelle for that banner you see over there and the username on there is from my Quizilla account.