If I Said Your Smile's All That Mattered, Would You Save My Life?

Chapter Four.

"Courtney," I said, the word sounding more like a growl than an actual word.

"Coney, how nice to see you." She ignored everyone around her and made her way over to me, her perfectly manicured nails sliding against each chair as she walked up. She wrapped her arms around me in a hug and I just simply stood stiff.

"I thought you moved," I said as Courtney let me go. Her fake smile had returned as she made her way back to where she had been sitting, pulling me with her. I sat down in the seat next to her.

The bell then sounded, but our teacher had yet to arrive. No one paid any attention; they were all talking to Courtney, who had completely ignored my comment about her moving. I cleared my throat and said, louder than before, "I thought you moved."

Making sure no one else saw, Courtney rolled her eyes and said, "I did." She didn’t go into any detail and I didn’t bother forcing any out of her. She was currently laughing at something Zack said. I simply glared at her.

Not too long after, a sub came in and class started. Halfway through class, Alex threw a wad of paper at me. I picked it up and read his almost illegible script. He didn’t write much, but what he did angered me and I sure didn’t want to read it again.Jack will sure be glad that Courtney's back, won't he?

x/x\x

The two of us smiled at up at each other. We held hands tight. It was the first time the two of us would be going to school together since kindergarten. I was so excited to see her again. She was my best friend beforemy dad left and we moved.

She and her mother had moved here for the same reason I had, her mother and mine having kept in contact the whole time. My mum had told hers that moving her was such a help after he left. So Courtney and her mum came, wanting to be happy.

And Courtney and I were both happy together. I was so excited to have her meet Jack and Zack and Alex and Rian. She said she was just excited and happy to be here and away from her father. So it worked out perfect.

And then it slowly stopped being perfect. All starting with the moment she met Jack.

There was some strange connection between the two of them, something that many people would consider love at first sight. Of course, that wasn’t it. Future events would only prove that fact.


x/x\x

Alex was right. Jack was ecstatic to see Courtney. She was just as happy to see him, hugging him tighter and closer than she needed to. Of course, Jack didn’t care. He enjoyed it.

"So why are you back, Court?" Zack asked as we sat down for lunch, Courtney practically sitting on Jack’s lap. I sat as far away from them as I could, forcing me to sit next to Alex, who also was wearing a shirt that reeked of feet.

"My mum just didn’t like being any where but here." She smiled her fake smile and I knew she was lying. No one else would ever think so, but I knew it. I knew my mum would soon tell me the reason she was back.

"Well, we’ve missed you," Jack said. It was only the millionth time that he had told her he missed her, that he was so happy to see and yada yada. I was sure she had gotten the point, but Jack just couldn’t stop saying it.

"So does that mean that you and your mum will be over for our annual Tuesday night dinner?" I asked.

"Oh, no," she said, rushed. The comment slightly surprised me. Her mum was all for tradition. There’d have to be a big reason she wouldn’t want to start it back up right away. I just added to it to my list of things to ask my mum when I returned home.

"So, Alex," I said, trying to keep all of my attention off Courtney, "when’s the next gig?"

"Not for, like, two weeks or something crazy. It sucks," Alex said, his voice free of the aggravation most would expect there.

"Oh, that does suck. Have you worked on any new songs?"

Alex raised an eyebrow. "You’re there at every practice. You’d know if we had anything new." He paused. "Is something wrong?"

I just nodded my head slightly up in Courtney’s direction. "Ah," Alex said, nodding his head. He understood. He didn’t say anything else, he didn’t need to.

Soon lunch ended and we all began to head off, no one actually ready to begin class again. None of us wanting to. As we walked, Courtney pulled me aside, motioning for everyone to go on without us.

"I’m not back because my mum missed it here," she whispered, making sure that no one heard. It wasn’t something she wanted to get out, I could tell.

"I know." I said. "Then why are you here?"

She glanced around once more, her eyes darting every which way. "I ran away."

My mouth dropped open on its own accord. I just stared at her, lost for words. "Why?" I eventually asked.

"My mum and my dad got back together this summer. I couldn’t stand to see him again. He said he changed, but I know he hasn’t, I just know it."

I nodded my head, right as the bell for class to began rang. Neither of us moved. "I understand." Despite my hatred for Courtney that would never subside, this was something that I understood completely. It was probably the only reason I could stand her at all. I knew what she had gone through and my empathetic heart just could leave her because of it.

Despite how much she wanted to leave me.

"Don’t tell your mum I’m here. I have a place to stay and everything will be all right. I just don’t want it all ruined by your mum telling mine."

"Okay," I said.

Courtney pulled me into a hug. "You’re just so wonderful." And as we stood there hugging, I couldn’t help but wish she still meant that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so much for reading.