Jockey

Rejection

The busiest bar in Montgomery also happened to be the dirtiest. The chairs were unstable and often damp with unknown liquid, but this didn’t stop Vince. He slouched down onto a stool and pounded the bar.
“Don! The usual and I am in no mood to wait.” He barked at the young bartender. Being used to this, Don had a shot of whiskey ready and slid it over. Vince didn’t give any sign of gratitude, but instead circled his neck releasing a symphony of cracks and pops. Vince peered through his furrowed brow to scan the people. Narrowing his sights didn’t take long. She had a tight, black dress on and a face worn with sleep deprivation and disappointment. Her skinny fingers shook as she flicked ash off her cigarette. Vince shrugged his shoulders, readjusting his stiff, leather jacket and moved to the stool right of hers.
“You. Wanna get out of here?” She whipped her head around in disgust to see no one. It wasn’t until he repeated the question that she realized he was sitting right next to her. She looked down and saw him scowling at her. His weathered skin wrinkled in a look of discomfort.
“Excuse you, but I have a husband.” Vince grimaced at her answer and decided it was the right time to consume his drink.
“Bet he’s a chump. Aint’ half the man I am, baby.” He slid his hand onto her leg and squeezed her knee. Her eyes grew wild in anger as she reached for the nearest drink to transfer onto his face. Vince shook the rejection off along with the drink and burped in displeasure. Still not letting go of her leg, he continued to try and vex her into escorting him home. But before she could slap him her husband swooped over her shoulder and planted his fist into Vince’s already crooked nose. Vince tipped off the stool but quickly stood back up. The man went to punch him again but was stopped in awe by his height. Vince puffed out his chest to try and hide the fact that he only came up to the husband’s pectoral muscles. The couple stood stunned and began to laugh. Vince stormed out of the bar, this always happened to him. He needed to calm down: and he knew exactly where to go.
“I don’t understand why this always happens. I got people. Why’s it always you I go to?” The only response he got was a nuzzle on the shoulder. Vince grunted and continued to brush his horse in the dark barn.
“Better luck tomorrow, right?”