Intuition

The Beginning

At birth, the new life is given a necklace unique to them. Each necklace is different: some were small, sharp, and simple while others slid down their chest and around their waist. No matter what the design, you knew someone else had the matching necklace. It may not look exactly like yours, but that’s the fun of it. Their necklace would fit together perfectly with yours, just as their lives would. The other necklace holder was your one and only other half; your soul mate.
The beauty of the necklaces was that no one knew where they came from. They just miraculously started to appear overnight around the time the 150th president was elected. But we didn’t question them for they were always accurate. And they made dating a lot easier: if someone wasn’t looking for commitment and you were you had the option of looking at their necklace and seeing how radically different it was and you could move on your way. But, most people didn’t show their necklace off to the world: it was a very personal part of you. The only people who would see your necklace, typically, were your family. But if you met someone special, and you knew you two were meant for each other, you’d pull your necklace out of hiding and they’d do the same. Joy would spread across your face and the magnets in the necklaces would activate as you initiate a long embrace, forcing the necklaces together in beautiful grace. Making the step into matching was huge and risky, but in the words of my mother, “When you know, you know.”
And I knew.
His name was Amon. Winter skin and a summer smile, he was everything I could ever want. He would hold me in the safety of our pillow and blanket fort whispering impossible stories into my ear. He settles the storm inside my soul. My insecurities deteriorate in front of his very eyes. Those perfectly imperfect eyes: one crystal blue and the other green. Beautiful. Our feelings were strong, as was our faith that it was time to make the next step: it was time to match. We were to do it after a nice dinner under the stars.