Intuition

When You Know

“I’m so sorry, Philomena.” I dipped my head low to fight back tears. It only took a moment to compose myself and straightened my posture.
“It’s okay, really, it is. We can’t all live forever.” I looked at the person trying to console me. I don’t even know who you are, why are you here? I cleared my throat and excused myself. Walking up to the coffin, I felt numb and incomplete. Amon’s long arms wrapped around mine and kept me in control. As I took each step, his grasp became tighter. Then, all at once, his embrace disappeared like smoke in the air and I leaned over to look at him.
His wrinkled skin now looked plastic and fake. His suit neatly tailored and the wretched pendant of his displayed every so neatly upon his neck. His hair white and slicked back, and his eyes closed in an eternal rest, a rest without me. My sweet Amon. Why did you have to go? I hesitantly reached my aged hand over and touched his cold face. The composure I held together shattered with the impact my fingers made to his cheek. I began to wail in sorrow, begging and pleading for him to come back to me. People tried to lead me away from him but I wouldn’t let them. They couldn’t take me away from him.
“Grandma, he’s gone. You have to let go.” I screamed in agony and latched onto the coffin, hugging his corpse. But in the midst of all the crying and holding, a small click echoed in my ear. I silenced myself and slowly pulled away from Amon to see what had just occurred.
Our necklaces were connected, grasping onto each other ever so tightly. I brushed my fingers against the joint and whispered.
“When you know, you know."