Wander Past the Eyes That Define You

911

Sometimes if your mind slips away, everything can change. Sitting in one spot makes the brain yearn to wander and explore like a feral cat. It can slither through the air, sneaking in-between the particles of dust. It can climb up and over the walls making up the foundation of civilization, confining everyone’s imaginations with reality. But, on unfortunate occasions, the wandering mind can plunge into the abyss of subconscious where thoughts fester into monsters too strong to control. While all this is happening, the outer shell just sits and waits in blank euphoria.
Anna sat in her room, a prisoner to her thoughts. Nothing could faze her – she was as empty as the echoes that rang through the halls of her home. She was alone, as she spent most of her days, but this didn’t bother her. Solitude was a familiar friend that she embraced over time. As she mindlessly flipped through the pages of another book, the whisp of a shadow rushed past the corner of her eye. Instantly, she was at attention. Panic violently surged through her veins as she threw herself at the phone, quivering after every digit she pressed.
“911, Where is your emergency?” The woman behind the voice seemed unenthusiastic and hollow. Anna froze for a moment to ponder the woman’s demeanor. She doesn’t care about you. She's speaking with no fervor, apathetic. You’re bothering people again. With great hesitation, she stuttered,
“Yes, there is someone in my house? 8579 Sequester Street. Please hurry.” She slammed the phone onto the table and stood at attention, prepared for anything or anyone to be standing behind her, waiting to attack. But instead, the spin of her heels revealed the sight of an empty doorway. Easing out of her room, she peaked further out. On either side stood darkness stretching across the house. Ideas of malevolent creatures crawling into sight began to fill her head. Anna’s fear sprung her back into her bedroom, pressing her against the wall. She slowly crawled back to her bed and propped herself onto a pile of pillows in relief and slight embarrassment.
Just as the waves of panic began to settle, a harsh snicker reverberated in the air. Her lungs froze and her head rose up to see her reflection. Anna gazed at it as it glared back at her.