I'm Just a Reject.

Trois.

Maisie rushed into the steaming hot shower and washed her hair and self in record timing.
She threw on an outfit, grabbed a bag and was quickly running down the stairs.

She grabbed her lunch bag from the fridge and an apple from the fruit bowl in the kitchen and ran out to her car. Mentally thanking herself for pre preparing her lunch the night before.

Maisie drove expectedly first to pick up Sam and then to school while Sam chewed her ear off about being late on their first day of year 12 - their last year at secondary school.
She ignored him and parked up the car, at the back of the lot thanks to Maisie’s lateness.

They both walked quickly to the school entrance, Maisie subconsciously checking her skirt hadn't ridden up her arse during the car ride by running a hand to smooth out the back.

They made it to homeroom with seconds to spare despite being late but it meant neither had been to their lockers yet.

They chatted idly as the class schedules were being handed out.
“Hm, English, Maths, Biology, Lunch, Photography and a study block.” Maisie nodded to herself, happy with her timetable.

“Astronomy, Geography, Study block, Lunch, Photography, and Art” Sam sighed. “Why do you have to be such a fucking nerd?” He rolled his eyes at his best friend, annoyed that they only shared lunch and one class together.

“Why do you have to be dumb as fuck?” She retorted, laughing at the pouting boy.

As the bell rang, signalling the homeroom was over, the pair stood up and walked to the hall.

“What you doing later?” Sam asked the petite brunette walking alongside him.
“Um home, gym then nothing”
“‘Kay, meet me at the pub at 8” He said and walked to astronomy leaving the girl slightly confused and to walk to math alone.

Sam always demanded a lift to the pub given that he can’t drive and refused to get the bus. Ever.

Maisie refused to dwell on such a small topic though as she settled into her seat - at the back of the room - and got out her necessary books.

Classes droned on for what felt like forever. Every teacher going through the same procedures for the first day back.

Class rules, term outlines and getting to know you're fellow classmates.
It’s not like they had spent the last 6 years together or anything.

Maisie was somewhat very popular in the school but she refused to acknowledge that - she brushed it off saying they only knew her through the rumours. Which was mostly true.

Most people didn't actually talk to her, she was just known.

Maisie had received a sort of reputation for sleeping around. And she’ll admit, she did/does have her fair share of sexual encounters, but no where near as much or as often as these rumours around school portrayed it.

But she let it be. She allowed people to think what they would like to think about her - she and her best friend knew the truth and in the end thats all that matters.

At the end of the day, she was never going to see these people again after graduation so who cares if they thinks she's some slut. Not Maisie thats for sure.

So she sat in the back for as many classes as she could and stayed there during all of the ‘fun’ class activities the teachers had forced them to partake in.

That was until a familiar looking blond boy came to sat next to her in Biology - therefore making him her lab partner for the rest of the year.

At first Maisie didn't acknowledge him, staring intently at the doodle she had been working on all day, but she wasn’t rude and so finally looked up at him when he spoke to her.

“Hey” He spoke up.
“Hi” She smiled at the boy and took in his features, he looked familiar but she couldn't remember where she had seen him before for the life of her.
“I’m Michael, we met at Stella’s but you were pretty wasted so I’ll assume you didn't remember” Ah. That was it.

“Oh yeah right, now I remember” Her smile seemed less fake now. “I’m-”
“Maisie - I remember” Michael cut her off.

“So how come I’ve never seen you around school before?” She asked, turning in her chair to properly face the boy.

He shrugged “You probably have, just never noticed me I guess” He fiddled with the sleeve of his pullover and Maisie instantly felt bad.

“Oh. Don’t take it personally - I’m literally the worst person when it comes to making friends and shit. Hell, I only have like one friend!” She chuckled, making him crack a smile too.

Michael opened his mouth to respond to the girl but before any words could come out, the bell rang.

“See ya ‘round Michael” Maisie said as she stood up from the bench.

“Call me Mikey, and you too Maisie”

They left the room and Maisie made a bee line for her locker - desperate to unload some of the weight from her bag.

She left her lunch bag in her now much lighter bag and set off to her and Sam’s usual lunch spot outside.

“I don't understand why you always eat so healthy” Sam commented at Maisie’s salad. “Like, just indulge for once Mais”

He shoved some of his fries at the girls face, to which she responded by turning her face away in disgust.

“Oh come one, I indulge - I just don't like greasy, fried, school canteen crap”

“Bitch please, you consider a scoop of dairy-free ice cream an indulge” Sam shovelled more fries into his mouth.

Maisie rolled her eyes at Sam and changed the subject, refusing to take part in this argument for the thousandth time.

&&&

“So? Did you talk to her?”

“Yeah”

“Well what did she say?” Ashton exclaimed at the blond who had just walked into the basement for band practise.

“Oh well, I didn't ask her what you wanted me to” Michael mumbled fidgeting with the sleeves of his jumper.

“What why not?” Ash whined.

“Because Ash she didn't remember who I was and I couldn't just go ‘Hi I’m Michael we met when you were smashed but would you ever consider going on a date with some guy you nearly hooked up with?’ could I?”

Ash sighed and shook his head.

“Wait. Are you talking about Maisie?” Calum spoke up from his position on the couch, next to Luke - who were both confused as to who the subject of the conversation happening between their bandmates was.

Michael didn't say anything but after a few moments Ash turned to face the boy and nodded his head. “Yeah, why?”

Calum started laughing in his seat, making the older boy glare at him slightly.

“What? What’s so funny?” Ash whined.

“You don’t ask a girl out on a date after you've nearly hooked up with her. And you just don't ask Maisie Fields out on a date. Period.”

All three boys looked at Calum in confusion now. They didn't know much about Calum’s friendship (if it was that) with Maisie. So they definitely didn't know about their ‘thing’ last summer.

Calum and Maisie had met at a party one night when they were both somewhat sober but they still hooked up anyway. And due to their sobriety, both of them clearly remembered the night vividly, so they decided to make a thing of it.

They hooked up a lot that summer but decided to call off their arrangement when it started to become a bit to relationship-y.

They remained friends though and still hooked up occasionally at parties sometimes.

“Why can’t you ask Maisie out?” Luke spoke up. The boys were now far too intrigued in Maisie than practise now and they were all sat on the couches, facing each other.

Calum sighed and ran a hand through his hair, unsure who to word the next sentence “Maisie doesn’t do relationships” he finally spoke.

The boys stared at him, silently requesting him to explain what he meant.

“Look, I don't know much about her personal life and shit, all she's said to me is something about not liking commitment and relationships in general. Sorry Ash but it’s probably for the best anyway” Calum stood up to get his bass and actually start practising since they had a gig in only a few weeks.

“What do you mean it was for the best?” Ashton asked Calum quietly as they exited Luke’s basement once band practise was over.

“It’s just - you're not very committed to girls and relationships and thats totally okay because neither is she which is why you two wouldn’t work out. You’re exactly the same and neither of you would be able to stay in that relationship for long. I just want to make sure neither of you ends up hurting each other or yourselves.” He watched as Ashton digested his words.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” He mumbled. “Thanks man, for saving me from that humiliation though” He cracked a smile and walked over to Luke and Mikey who were intensely playing Fifa.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this is late, short and very fillerish, I was experiencing a slight block with writing this chapter. I'd originally planned this to turn into a Luke fic but with the way this chapters gone I don't know if I should just let it be an Ashton fic or I should stick with my original plan?

Please comment your opinions on that and this chapter and the story in general!
Love you!xo

Maisie