Status: I'll update as often as I can!

Secret Heroes

Chapter Two

I ran out of the house, and down the block to talk to the lady that drives Kailey home from school. She was walking out out of her front door, with her dauhter Jessica.

"Mrs. Walters! Wait up!" I called out, sprinting up to her before she could leave. "Have you seen Kailey? I can't find her anywhere." I asked frantically, hoping that she could help me find my sister.

"No dear. I was about to ask you why you didn't call this morning to tell me that she wasn't going to be at school. You're usually very good about that."

"B-but I dropped her off this morning. I watched her walk through the door." Tears were now streaming down my face. I didn't know what I was going to do.

"Jessica," Mrs. Walters said, turning towards her daughter, "did you see Kailey in school today? She is in your class, right?"

"No mommy. I already told you, she wasn't there. The teacher said she was called in sick."

I ran back to my house after hearing that. What do I do? My baby sister is missing, and I have no clue where she is. How could she have been called in sick? Who would've called and said that? I certainly didn't do it, and my mom has been at work all day, so it couldn't have been her. Maybe I should call my mom, but would she even care? I decided that it was my only option, and I dialed her number on my cell phone. She pickedd up after about three rings, and I was so glad that she was able to answer. She's a surgeon, so she could've been in the operating room, but thankfully, she was on a break or something.

"Hello?" She answered, probably confused as to why I was calling her in the middle of the day.

"M-mom," I cried out, "Kailey's missing. She's not at home, and Mrs. Walters said that she wasn't at school today, but I saw her walk inside the building. Her teacher said that she was called in sick, but I didn't do it, and neither did you. I'm so scared, mom." I sobbed.

"Kellin, calm down. I have do do an operation in ten minutes, so I can't come home. Go to the police station, and text me with what they say. I'll see you tomorrow." And with that, she hung up. I thought that maybe she would actually care about her kids for once, but I was wrong. She really doesn't give two shits about me or my sister.

I grabbed my keys off the counter, and hopped in my car, heading towards the police station. I lived in a fairly small town, so luckily nothing was too far away. I got there in about fifteen minutes, and parked in one of the many empty spaces. I ran inside but there were people talking to the only officer that I could see. And... was that Vic? Why would he be here?

He was with what looked to be his parents, and they all had tears running down their face. What was going on?

"My little boy, Mike, is missing." I heard his mom say. "I dropped him off at school today, I watched him go inside. But he didn't come out to the car when I went to pick him up. I went inside to try and find him, and his teacher said he had been called in sick. None of us called though, I mean, I saw him go inside the building. I called all of his friends, and none of them have any idea where he is. Please help us." She started crying harder. This is weird. Their story was so similar to mine, how could this have happened? There has to be something going on here.

"I don't know, ma'am. Let me go check on a few things." He said and walked away, going into what looked like an office.

"I-I'm sorry to interrupt," I interjected, " But how old is your son?" I asked quietly.

"Today is his tenth birthday. Vic said, giving me a dirty look.

"And he goes to Lakewood Falls Elementary School?" I asked, because that was the same school that Kailey goes to.

"Yeah," Vic said, raising an eyebrow. "Why are you asking, Quinn?"

"Because the same thing happend to my sister today. And today's her seventh birthday." I said, tears streaming down my face again.

Vic grabbed my arm and pulled me outside, right in front of the station.

"Kellin, you better not be lying to me. I know you don't like me, but this isn't fucking funny, okay? I can't find my little brother, and we're all scared as hell. If you're saying this just you mess with me, I swear to god I will kick your ass all the way to Jupiter." He said, looking dead serious.

"Vic, why would I lie about this? I love my little sister more than anything, I can't handle it if something happens to her. I'm just as scared as you are." I said with an equally serious expression on my red, blotchy face.

He nodded at me, and we walked back inside the station. The officer was back out, talking to the Fuentes parents. He asked them to sit down in one of the hard blue chairs and wait while he talked to me. I told him my story, and he thought that the cases might be linked. He asked my to go sit by the Fuentes' while he checked on some more things.

"Kellin, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister." Mrs. Fuentes said to me as I sat down.

"I'm sorry to hear about your son." I said back to her.

My parents used to be really good friends with the Fuentes', until my dad left eight years ago, and my mom started working. So I wasn't surprised when Mrs. Fuentes asked "Where are your mom and dad at? Shouldn't they be with you?"

I know she meant well, but the question made me really uncomfortable. I didn't know how to answer this. You can't just tell someone that you haven't talked to in eight years that you have a dad that left you for some blonde bimbo, and a mom who literally could not possibly care less about you.

"Oh um... I don't know where my dad is at and my mom is at work. She was about to go into the operating room when I called, so she said that I should just come down here myself." I said, trying to make it seem like she actually cared that her only daughter was no where to be found.

"Well, we're here for you if you need anything." Mrs. Fuentes said and gave me a knowing look. Thankfully, the conversation ended there, because the officer walked back out. Don't get me wrong, the Fuentes' parents are very nice people, but it was just so awkward.

"I'm very sorry," the officer said. "but we can't start an investigation until the child has been missing for at least forty eight hours. We'll keep an eye out for them, though, and we'll call if we see them. "

"Thank you." I mumbled and walked out, sliding down the brick wall of the police station, and burying my head in my hands, letting out a loud sob. What if I never see Kailey again? So much could happen to her before they start investigating, and even then, they might not ever find her. She's all that I have left. There's no point in living if I don't have her anymore. I just need my baby Kai back.

I continued sobbing outside of the station for god knows how long, until Vic walked up to me, sitting down on the other side of me.

"Kellin, shut up. We need to talk." He said, nudging my shoulder.

"W-what?" I asked him, trying to stop crying, to no avail.

"Look, I don't like you, and you don't like me. I get that. But, I don't think the police are gonna do anything. That whole forty eight hours thing is bullshit. They could be dead in forty eight hours, hell, they could already be dead. I think we're gonna need to work together to find them."

I agreed with him, and we decided that he would come over to my house tomorrow, and we'd skip school to talk about this and try to figure out what could've happened.

After he finally left, I went out back of the building, took a running start, and hopped into the air, hoping that a fly might clear my head.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys, thanks for reading! I appreciate all of you who subscribe, comment, and recommend this:)
You can expect another update between Friday night and Sunday afternoon
You should totally go follow me on tumblr at dancing-on-the-track
I love you all sooooo much <3
-Colleen