Status: I'll update as often as I can!

Secret Heroes

Chapter Three

I hadn't planned on falling asleep at all, but apparently my sleep-deprived brain got the best of me, because I woke up to the loud ring of the doorbell. I got up to answer it, stretching out my sore muscles, and walking up to my front door, seeing Vic. He gave me a weird look, and I realized that I must have looked like a mess. I'm sure that my hair was everywhere, I hadn't brushed my teeth, and I was still in my clothes from yesterday.

"Oh, um. Sorry. I just woke up. Come on in." I said awkwardly. He walked inside, following me over to my family room where he sat down on the couch. "You can, uh, stay here. I'm gonna go change really quick." I said, and with that, I ran up the stairs to my room, quickly putting on a newoutfit that consisted of skinny jeans and a t-shirt. I brushed my teeth, and thankfully remembered to grab a beanie before I went back downstairs to Vic.

He was sitting where I left him, feet tucked under himself, sitting indian-style. Now that I looked at him, he seemed exhausted. I'm sure he's just as scared as I am about this whole thing. I stopped staring before he noticed, and sat on the end of the couch opposite him.

"So, um..." I started off, not really sure where I was going with it.

"Where's your mom?" He blurted out, his eyes going wide after realizing what he had just said.

"Oh... She had to work." I said nervously. It was a touchy subject, my mom. She texted me last night and said that she wasn't coming home until this weekend because she had to "work." I personally think that she's just trying to avoid the fact that her daughter is missing, and her son is dealing with it all alone.

"But, I mean," Vic started, "isn't she scared for her daughter? Wouldn't she want to try and find her?"

"Just drop it, Vic." I said harshly, giving him a glare.

"Sorry." He mumbled, looking down into his lap. Neither of us said anything for a few minutes. I think both of us were too scared to bring up the real reason that we were here. I don't know about him, but I really did not want to accept the fact that my sister is gone. It's just too much for me to handle. There was something weird going on. Our siblings' disappearances were too similar for them not to be linked in some way.

I finally worked up the courage to speak. "Do you have any idea what could've happened?" I asked him with a shaky voice, too scared to look at him.

"I don't know." He said, shaking his head. "I just don't understand why someone would take Mikey- or Kailey for that matter. I don't know about your sister, but Mike didn't do anything wrong. He's a good kid, he gets good grades, has a good amount of friends, has a family who loves him. he was happy. There's no way that he ran away. He would've come back by now. Is there anyone who would do this to Kailey?"

"I... I don't think so." I said, trying to come up with anyone who was capable of this. No one came to mind. No one that I knew would ever hurt my baby sister. Why would anyone want to hurt a child? Tears suddenly sprang to my eyes at the thought that someone could be physically hurting Kailey, and I wouldn't be there to protect her.

Vic looked over, and he must have seen me crying. God dammit. This kid has seen me cry fucking twice in the past two days. No one has even seen me cry in years. I hate seeming weak in front of people, because I'm not. I need to stop acting so pathetic. I really do not need Vic to be seeing me right now. No thank you.

"Kellin," He said with a sympathetic look in his eyes, "What's wrong?"

"W-what if she's not okay?" I cried. "I can't live without her, Vic. She's everything to me. Someone could be h-hurting her right now. She could be dead, and there's no way for me to know." I pulled my knees into my chest and started sobbing uncontrollably, desperately praying for some sort of miracle for my sister. She has to be okay.

"Kellin, look at me." Vic said, but I refused to show him how stupid I looked right now. My eyes were most likely red and swollen, and my cheeks would be blotchy, and overall, it was an ugly sight.

When he realized that I wasn't going to look at him, he came and knelt in from of me, putting his finger under my chin and forcing my head up so that he was looking into my eyes. I tried to avert my gaze, but I couldn't turn away from the chocolate brown eyes staring up at me. I've never noticed how pretty his eyes are.

"Kellin, you can't think like that. They're gonna be fine, and we're gonna find them. It's gonna be okay. I promise." His eyes started to tear up.

"She's all that I have left." I whimpered.

He climbed up onto the couch, right next to me, and wrapped his arms around me. Ususally, this would be really weird, I mean, I hated Vic, right? I just needed the comfort right now, so I took it, burying my head into his shoulder, and crying into his shirt.

"Shh." He ran his arms up and down my back in a comforting manner. "It's all gonna be okay. It's all gonna be okay." His voice cracked on the last word, and he rested his head on mine. I felt his shoulders start to shake along with mine, and I knew that he was crying too.

I woke up to a pair of dark brown eyes fluttering open. I closed my eyes again, but that's when it hit me that those were Vic's eyes. I was cuddling with Vic. Oh god no. I rolled away form him, and ended up falling off the couch, landing with a dull thud. He was sitting up, staring at me with wide eyes.

"No one finds out about this." He said, pointing from him to me.

"Agreed." I nodded my head as fast as possible, and got up off the floor, standing straight up.

"I'm gonna go." He said quickly, and ran to the door, slamming it closed as he left.

I decided that I needed to clear my head, so I went up to my room, forcing the old window open. I pulled myself through feet first, and stood on my roof. I made sure no one was around, before I jumped off of the roof, waiting until I was about three feet off the ground before angling myself upwards and flying away from my house.

Flying was probably my favorite thing in the world. When I was up in the air, four hundred feet from the ground and all of my problems, my head was always so clear. The only thing that existed was the wind that was whipping through my hair, and the beautiful blue sky above me. Ususally, I would forget about everything. But today... I just couldn't. The sad thing was, I wasn't even thinking of my sister right now. I was thinking of Vic, as bad as that seemed. Why did he try to comfort me today? I thought he hated me. I know that Vic hates me. I think the more important question is, though, why did I like it? Why were there still butterflies in my stomach? I didn't like him or anything like that- that would be crazy. For God's sake, my sister is missing, I don't have time to start liking some stupid guy with pretty eyes.

I continued to fly for a while- I think I was somewhere near Naperville- until I saw a figure in the distance. It didn't seem too big, it was probably just a bird or something. But as I got closer, it kind of looked like... a person? No it couldn't be. I kept getting closer, trying to investigate. It turns out it was a person. Maybe they have powers like I do. It would be nice to know that I wasn't alone.

I kept getting closer, and the person looked like...

"Vic? Is that you?"
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you guys are still liking this story. Let me know in the comments or in my tumblr ask box?
Anyway thank you all so much for reading/subscribing.
Come talk to me! I don't bite, I promise.
Tumblr: Dancing-on-the-track
-Colleen
P.S.: Mibba keeps italicizing things that I'm not trying to italicize? Is this happening to anyone else?