Status: I'll update as often as I can!

Secret Heroes

Chapter Four

"Vic? Is that you?" I asked, my voice full of surprise. Surely that wasn't Vic. It couldn't be him. I probably just thought it was him because I had been thinking about him. I was hallucinating. That makes perfect sense. Of course that's what's happening.

"U-um... Kellin?" He asked. I was wrong. It's Vic. I would recognize that voice anywhere. "What're you- How is- What the fuck?" He stammered.

"I feel the same way... Lets go somewhere and talk." I said, and started to fly in the direction that he came from. He didn't follow, so I gave him a little push to get him going.

"What was that for?" He asked angerly, rubbing his chest in the spot where I pushed him.

"I barely even touched you!" I lied, because it was definitely more than a "little" push. He has no reason to get all mad, though.

"Whatever." He grumbled and flew along with me, neither of us saying anything until we reached a fairly tall building with a flat roof, and landed on it. I didn't know what to say right now. I didn't even know that anyone had powers like me, not to mention Vic having them. I was fairly sure that I was having a dream, so to test the reality of this situation, I leaned over and pinched Vic's arm.

"Ow. What the fuck, Kellin?" He glared at me.

"I was just making sure that this was all real. I guess it is." I smiled cheekily.

"You're supposed to pinch yourself, dumbass."

We went back to silence after that, neither of us making any sound. I dangled my feet over the ledge of the building, watching them swing back and forth. I came here pretty often, this rooftop. It was one of my favorite places. It overlooked the entire city, and it was a beautiful city, especially at night, when all the shops turned their lights off, and everyone went home. You could see the stars so clearly, and there was nothing to distract you from it. Unfortunately, it was not night time yet, so I could not see any stars at the moment.

"So," Vic broke the silence, "You can fly... What else can you do?" He asked slowly.

"Well, um, I'm really fast, and, uh, strong." It soundedd so stupid when I said it out loud, but how else could I have phrased it?

"Me too." Vic said, looking over at me once again.

"When did you find out?" I was curious.

"I was twelve. I fell out of a tree, and right before I hit the ground, I just... Flew up. I found out about the strength when a bookshelf almost fell on Mike so I caught it and threw it across the room. The speed, I don't really know. I guess I was just running one day, and I started going really, really fast. You?"

"Thirteen." I answered, not quite ready to divulge the fact that I found out I could fly as I was trying to kill myself. You see, things were really hard at home. I had just started taking care of Kailey, and my mom stopped caring about us. I was getting bullied pretty badly, and I couldn't take it anymore. I took a train out to Chicago, snuck up to the roof of a tall building, (I forget which one, they all look pretty similar) and jumped. I started flying before I hit the ground. Sometimes I really wish that I didn't have these powers. But then I realize how much my sister needs me to be there for her, and I'm glad that I didn't kill myself.

"Yeah, but how did you find out?" Vic prodded.

"It doesn't fucking matter. Okay?" I snapped.

"Alright. I'm sorry." He said with a confused look on his face. "Well, at least we might be able to do more to find them, now that we know about eachother." He offered. I nodded slightly, not saying anything. I don't think that there was anything that I needed to say.

"So... Does Kailey know? Or, your parents?" At the mention of my parents, I had decided that I was done here. I stood up and jumped off the side of the building and flew upwards as high as I could possibly get, and far away from Vic.

Predictably, he followed me, flying faster than I was, and getting closer by the second. I really just didn't have the energy to go much faster right now. "Kellin, wait. What's wrong?" He finally caught up to me.

Tears pricked at my eyes, but I was determined that I wasn't going to let them out. I will not cry in front of Vic again.

"Nothing is fucking wrong, Vic. At least nothing that you'll care about." I said the last part quietly, so quiet, in fact, that I wasn't sure he heard it. I hope he didn't hear it. I honestly don't know why I said it. I mean, it's true, but still, I didn't want to say it.

Of course, he did hear it, though.

"Kellin, I do care. Whatever it is, you can talk to me about it. I know that we haven't been the best of friends, but I want to change that. We're gonna have to be pretty open with eachother if we want to work together. So come on, tell me what's wrong." There was such a caring look in his eyes, and he honestly sounded like he was concerned about me.

I decided that I didn't really care if he found out anymore, and I threw all caution to the wind, telling him everything. Everything about my family, that is. About how my dad left because my mom found out that he was cheating, and he hasn't tried to contact us in years. Not even a card on our birthdays. I told him about how my mom is always working. How she just uses it as an excuse not to deal with us. That she doesn't even care that her daughter is missing, and she might never see her again. How I'm basically a parent to my sister, and she's the only thing that I have left.

While I was talking, we had flown back to the building that we had been sitting on previously, and landed on top of it. I finally finished, and looked down at my feet, slightly embarrassed that I had just told him all of that. I'm not sure what I expected him to do - maybe laugh at me and fly away. I certainly didn't expect what he did. He wrapped his warms around me, enveloping me in a comforting embrace, and rocking us back and forth. I hugged him back, putting my arms around his waist and my head on his chest. He rested his chin on top of my head, and whispered, "It'll be okay. It's gonna be okay. We'll find Kailey and Mike. I promise you, Kellin, I swear on my life, you are going to get your sister back."

"Thank you, Vic." I pulled away from him a little so that I could look at him. He just pulled me back towards him, rocking us back and forth again. After a little while, we sat back down, dangling our feet off the roof.

"Kellin," He said after about a half an hour of us sitting in silence, "I have to get back to my family. Do you wanna fly home with me?" He asked, but I really wasn't in the mood to be in my empty house right now.

"Actually, I think I'm gonna stay here for a while. Just to... think, and stuff. You go, though. I'll see you at school tomorrow?" I didn't want to go to school, but I knew that I had to. I really didn't need them to start calling home because of too many absences or something.

"Yeah, definitely." He smiled, and did something that I really did not expect - He kissed me. Just a little peck on the lips, but still a kiss. I felt myself blushing, my cheeks turning red as a tomato. "See you tomorrow, Kel." He gave me one last smile before taking a running start to jump into the air, gracefully gliding through the sky. I watched him until he was just a speck in the distance, and then he eventually disappeared.

I brought my hands up to my face, fingers lightly brushing over my lips. He kissed me. Vic Fuentes kissed me. And I liked it, a lot.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please, please, please comment and tell me about anything that I can improve on or what you think of the story.
Tumblr: dancing-on-the-track
-Colleen