Driving Miss Catherine

Brazil

“Cat?” She lifted her head at the mention of her name.

“Yes?” She called and turned around to face whomever was disrupting her. She did not remember ever being more stressed in her life and actually thought she would crack. This was supposed to be ‘the happiest day of her life’ but she felt like she had a thousand things to worry about.

“I’m here to do your hair,” the voice behind the door responded, and Cat opened the door with a very tense smile. The hair dresser set about brushing and combing her hair, and it was a little relaxing, except Cat was worried about the caterer, the florist, the third bridesmaid who had not reported in for hair and makeup yet, and about a hundred other things.

“Hold your head still,” she was instructed and put down her phone. She closed her eyes and took the opportunity to rehearse her vows. For some reason, Cat had let Seb talk her into getting married in German, despite the fact that his relatives all understood English, and her family did not speak German. However, she felt it would make a good impression on his family. They all thought the wedding was too rushed, that they hadn’t known each other long enough, or that perhaps there was something else going on. Cat had never had to explain so frequently that no, she was not pregnant. Although Seb often followed up her denial with “not yet!” and a cheeky smile.

His mother came in and dabbed her eyes. She claimed she had been crying nonstop since that morning and hoped to get it all over with before the wedding. However, seeing Cat’s dress hanging in the corner of the room encouraged a new round of tears. “Mein Gott, you are so beautiful with your hair like that,” she whispered to Cat and cleared her throat. “I came in here not to cry in front of my future daughter in law,” she sniffled again, “but to inform you that Britta has Seb and they are on their way here from the airport. Should be here in maybe an hour, but you know Seb- he’s never on time. You are so brave doing this all on your own. Sebastian is so impatient! I say, ‘wait until the end of the season at least, so you can properly plan the ceremony with Cat!’ But he is too impatient.” She shook her head and muttered something in German Cat did not understand. “And poor you not having a mother here to help you! I don’t know how you have managed!”

“Mrs. Vettel, I’m fine,” Cat tried to answer calmly with a smile, but Mrs. Vettel only broke down crying again.

“And now you are Mrs. Vettel too! This is too much for me,” she fanned herself with her hand and tried to stop the tears from pouring down her face by batting her eyelids. “I cannot imagine how I will be at Fabian’s wedding, he’s the baby after all.”

“Can you go find him for me actually? I want to make sure he has the rings safely,” Cat instructed her nearly mother-in-law. Turning back to the mirror she was surprised to see the stylist had finished her hair and was waiting to get started on her make-up. “That actually looks really good,” she said to the stylist who held up a mirror for her to see the back.

“I think we’ll go with a light brown theme for your make up, with a soft light pink lip tint,” the stylist started, and Cat nodded. She had no opinions on this matter, as long as she didn’t look bad.

Over the next half hour various people came in to check in and update Cat on the progress of the set up. The flowers were ready, all the decorations were in place, and some of the early guests had started to arrive. Cat checked the time anxiously and hoped Seb was not late. She smiled, it would only be appropriate if he were late, though. He had almost missed the hot air balloon he had arranged for the sole purpose of proposing to her. It was quite romantic, even if they had missed the sunset.

Fabian poked his head around the corner and held up the rings. “See? I’ve got them.” He smiled and Cat tried to smile back at him.

“Thank you.” Cat said through nearly clenched teeth and checked her phone again. Still nothing from Seb, or Brita since Seb isn’t really supposed to see or talk to her. He should have been her 5 minutes ago. The ceremony should start in 15 minutes. Where is he??

“You think he’ll be late?” Fabian asked and grinned at the thought of his brother being late to his own wedding.

“Nope. I told him I’d marry someone else if he didn’t show up on time,” Cat smiled and winked. “Has the package arrived yet?”

Fabian winked. “The package is in the nest.”

“What?”

“Yes,” he nodded. “It’s here and ready to go.”

“Excellent. Make sure Seb does not see it.” Cat instructed and Fabian we shooed from the room so she could change into her dress. It was loose fitting, but tight enough where it needed to be. She was given some finishing touches, and finally handed a green and white bouquet.

“Are you ready?” The stylist asked.

“Is he here?” She had not yet received confirmation of Seb’s arrival, and they couldn’t start without him. Her stylist nodded.

“He’s just changing into his tux now, and he’ll be out there in time for you to walk down the aisle.”

For the first time in weeks Cat relaxed. It was finally happening after months of preparation and planning.

“Aunt Cat!” A little girl yelled and came running down to see her. She had bright blond hair, and blue eyes just like her father. This was Heikki’s secret, what his mother had used as leverage to make him go along with her schemes to make money. She was the illegitimate child Heikki accidentally fathered seven years ago with someone he really, really should not have even been seen with. However, that was all in the past now. Mina and Albert were still happy, Heikki and Cat were over what they’d been through together the previous summer, and now they were an unusual and, not quite happy, but almost, family. Cat had still not quite forgiven her father enough to let him walk her down the aisle, but she had found a suitable replacement.

“Hello little flower girl!” Cat said to her step-niece. “Your dress is very pretty.”

“I like your dress too,” the girl smiled up at Cat before being ushered toward the entrance of the church. The three bridesmaids followed slowly, and Cat heard the sound of a cane come up behind her and stop.

“Ready?” Kimi asked and held out his left arm, his right hand supporting himself on a fancy cane. This was her surprise for Seb- Kimi. Cat nodded and took his arm, her bouquet in her left hand. The doors to the church were opened and her heart stopped when she saw Seb standing at the front looking impeccable, as if he hadn’t just gotten off the plane from Brazil.

He was so distracted by Cat he almost didn’t see Kimi. Cat knew Seb would be the first to cry during the ceremony, but she didn’t realize seeing it would make her cry too. She blinked her eyes and tried not to ruin her makeup and Kimi offered her his handkerchief as they reached the front.

“Miss Catherine, you look beautiful,” Seb said as he took her hand. He nodded to Kimi, unsure of what to say, although with Kimi, not much needed to be said. The pair stood in front of their friends and family and pledged to love each other for the rest of their lives. By the end they were both crying, his mother was bawling, and Cat could have sworn she saw her father’s eyes glimmering with tears. They hopped in a bright red Ferrari with “Just Married” scrawled on the back, and drove off into the sunset and lived happily ever after.
♠ ♠ ♠
I finally got around to writing more of this now that I've finished my book! (And this may not be the last chapter.....)

The book is based off of this story, but with new characters and a better plot. I have recently re-edited it and released the whole story as one part. If you would like to read it, it's on Amazon for $1.50
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01COC7FC2?ref_=pe_2427780_160035660

Thanks for reading my fanfiction, hope you check out some of my other works!! : )