Status: title may change at any time

Ill

Chapter One

It appeared out of nowhere, and all of a sudden the world was gone. I never thought I'd be alive to see the day when something like this happened, but I guess luck wasn't really on my side. I still cannot even fathom just what the hell caused this. And you know, honestly, I'm not sure I'll be alive to receive the explanation. I have to keep moving; we all do. As each day passes by, I forget more and more of what life used to be before it; before the epidemic.

It started on a regular, boring Tuesday, as unassuming as can be. I woke up groggily from beneath my comforter and reached over quickly to shut off the alarm I had set on my phone. I walked downstairs, rubbing the sleep from my eyes as I made my way to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I made coffee. I got dressed. I kissed my mother goodbye as she got into her car to drive to her job at the rehabilitation center two towns over. Everything was perfectly normal. I wonder if she made it out.

You know, it was really peculiar. I've watched movies and TV shows about them before. I'm pretty sure we all have. The premise was becoming as overused as the vampire romance trope that I ashamedly bought into back when everything was normal, and the only threat to humanity's existence was the corruption of big-shot corporations and the media. When it all went down I assumed the news stations would be all over it, and that we'd all have time to get things sorted and at least find somewhere safe to hole up. But things didn't happen like that at all. I really don't think anyone was ready for it, and if they were, they didn't bother telling anyone else. I'm not sure which one is worse.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh hello random new story.