Quite the Conundrum

The Witness

Her day had started out like any other. She got out of bed, padded to the bathroom, relieved her bladder, showered, styled her hair, did her make up and got dressed before finally grabbing her purse and her keys and heading out of her apartment. She got in her car and drove to work, sat in the office answering calls and fixing schedules and making sure her boss always had a steaming hot cup of coffee. She got lunch in the building cafeteria. She sat with her friends and made plans to go out that night since it was Friday. She clocked out, went home and changed and decided to take herself to dinner before going out for drinks with her friends. How she'd ended beneath a man, covered in his blood and staring at a woman she'd never seen before holding a knife, was beyond her.

She had to admit, it was all kind of exciting. Her life had become mundane recently as she made her way from day to day. But that didn't mean it wasn't terrifying, so terrifying in fact, that she realized she was screaming.

Twenty minutes later the other woman was handcuffed and in the back of a police car, grinning like a mad woman. She sat and she was giving her statement to the police. Apparently the man had been following her, and she'd been cutting across the alley in order to get to the club. She hadn't stopped at all and, even though she carried mace in her purse, she hadn't been fast enough to fend him off when he came at her and threw her to the ground. The other woman, it seemed, had come out of nowhere and just slit his throat. She felt like it was wrong but really she was grateful for the woman because if not for her, the younger girl would have been raped. She had tears in her eyes as she told the cop this and he just patted her sympathetically on the shoulder and shuffled her along into an ambulance to get a shock blanket.

She found her purse and although the police wouldn't let her keep it because it was "evidence", they let her have her phone and keys and wallet out of it, so she had placed the phone in her bra and held onto her keys and wallet. She set the wallet down in her lap and pulls her phone from her cleavage. She dials one of her friends from the office to explain what happened, and that she probably wouldn't be coming out tonight after all. Her friend expressed sympathy and said that she would relay the message to the other girls, but perhaps without all the gory details.

The young woman shook her head as she placed her phone in her lap. Today had started out like a regular and boring day, but maybe her life wasn't so mundane as she thought.