Kiss Me, Kiss Me

one.

The alarm assaults the slumber that I couldn’t remember. I was out of bed with a groan and a quick roll. Within the next half hour I was heading out the door. The untouched mail sticking out of the mailbox caught my attention as I locked the door. As I walk to my car I flip through all of the junk mail. A pink slip inside of a white envelope stares at me. $101.37 was due by this Friday or else the electricity would be cut off. I call the 800 number on the piece of paper and start the car up. On the way to work I beg the operator for an extension until payday Monday morning.

‘Okay thank you so much.’ I breathe hanging up the phone just as I pull into the parking lot of Galleria Dallas.

I lock the doors and begin to walk across the parking lot. There was a line of girls waiting near the entrance of the mall. I snake my way through them and their squeals of joy as I wait by the door.

‘Good morning Mackenzie.’ Don, the elderly security guard pushes the door open and lets me inside.

‘Morning Don. What’s with all the girls outside?’ I readjusted my purse on my shoulder looking back through the glass. ‘They’re pretty early for any sale.’

‘A band’s stopping by this morning for a signing.’ Don replies messing with his black tie. ‘Some even came out at six this morning.’

‘Wow, must be some band.’ I retort looking at the time on my phone, ‘I better get going. You know how Shelia is without her coffee.’

‘That’s not one of your responsibilities.’ Don speaks, his voice laced with annoyance.

‘Yeah, I know. I’m just here until I find something better.’

‘That’s the way to think. Have a great day Mackenzie.’

‘You too Don.’

I order my boss’s usual venti-sized cup of coffee from Starbucks before lightly tapping on the door of Earthbound Trading CO. Shelia’s dark eyes fall on me as she slides off of the counter and slowly trudges toward the door. The blue piece of gum nastily falls around in her mouth as she unlocks the door.

‘Well it’s about time.’ She grabs the coffee without a thank you and moves out of the way.

‘Yeah, sorry about that.’ I grab my nametag from the counter and let it fall around my neck.

‘Just don’t let it happen again.’ Shelia warns returning to her seat on the counter.

Shelia Warren, or just Shelia is my boss here at Earthbound. Just a mere few years older than me and a complete bitch just don’t let her know I said that. Shelia and I go way back, we used to be neighbors. Her dad has it in good here at Galleria Dallas so that’s how someone like her got a manager position. Someone like her meaning someone lazy, cheats to get to the top, and gets everything handed on a silver platter. In high school she was a few credits shy of graduating but her dad came in and waved his finger to Principal Medina and voila she walked across the stage. Even though I was just a small sophomore at the time I know that’s what happened. Everyone in the school did.

‘Oh Mackenzie,’ Shelia calls as she admires her perfectly manicured hands, ‘there’s some boxes in the back that need to be set out. Go ahead and get on it before the store gets crowded.’

‘Right away.’ I grumble walking towards the back of the store.

Five large boxes greeted me as soon as I stepped foot in the storage room. I grab the rusty dolly from the corner and load the boxes onto it. I go around the store setting up the displays just before the mall opens up. Shelia sits in her office while I continue to assist customers and finish up with the displays. As she did every delivery day.

‘Lunch time!’ she calls a little after noon.

‘Oh thank God. I’m starving.’ I exhale standing to my feet.

‘Not you, me.’ She corrects me digging through her purse, ‘you can go once I’m finished and since I can’t leave the stupid store unattended run down to Little Katana and get me the usual.’

‘Alright. I will be right back.’

‘You better and ask for that little dipping sauce they have.’ She hands me her debit card before directing her attention to her iPhone.

‘Okay Shelia.’

I walk down the mall to Little Katana’s Sushi Bar then wait in the long line. Outside of Little Katana’s there were several squeals and claps. Across the mall was Hot Topic, where the line grew and grew.

‘Busy day huh Parker?’ I nod towards the usual cook once he hands me the bag.

‘That band’s really bringing people in today.’

‘I can see. Thanks Parker.’

I casually walk past Hot Topic trying to see who’s the musical guest of today. All of the bodies were blocking the view inside of the store. As I’m walking I walk right into someone knocking Shelia’s drink all over the place.

‘Oh my God.’ I gasp, ‘I am so sorry.’

‘Shit, you’ve ruined my shirt.’ He laughs in return, ‘I’m kidding. Totally kidding. I guess it’s a good thing I’m going to Hot Topic.’

‘Ah, I’m sorry.’ I repeat fishing out the napkins from the bag. ‘Here.’ I begin to dab the wet plaid shirt. ‘Such a klutz.’

‘Really, I’m fine.’ He insists, ‘I really should get going but it was fun running into you. Literally.’

‘Haha, okay. I’m Mackenzie by the way.’ I say extending my hand out to the stranger.

‘Hello, Mackenzie. I’m Michael.’ They say, their accent more evident than a few moments ago.

My eyes fall on a tall-framed boy with bright green hair. He wore a red flannel, ripped black jeans, and a pair of black boots. Behind him there were dozens of girls taking pictures with their cameras and phones. I was face-to-face with Michael of 5 Seconds of Summer.

‘Alright, I’ll see you.’ He waves before the large security guards push him towards the entrance of Hot Topic.

I watch as he is ushered inside with the rest of the band before scurrying off to the other side of the mall.

‘There you are! What did you run into traffic?’ Shelia demands placing her hands on her hips, ‘What happened to my drink?’

‘Oh. Sorry.’ I mutter placing it down on the counter, ‘I had a bit of an accident on the way back.’

‘You are not paid to have accidents.’

‘Nor am I paid to run across the mall for you.’

‘Get back on the cash register. I’ll be in the back.’

The next hour seems to drag on and on before Shelia comes out and relieves me for my lunch break. I go down to Auntie Anne’s for a pretzel before returning back to the store. I sit on the counter while Shelia was on Facebook. Just as I go back to work an hour later the same familiar bright green hair steps into the store. A large security guard dressed in all black was right behind him with every step he made.

‘There’s a customer. Go.’ Shelia mutters briefly taking her eyes from the screen.

‘I see you bought a new shirt.’ I say awkwardly looking at the same rack of bracelets.

‘Yeah I did. I probably should’ve anyway since the one you ruined had holes all over it.’ He looks down at his Jimi Hendrix shirt. ‘This one’s cool too so…’

‘I’m sorry about that again. I really wasn’t watching where I was going and like I said I’m already a klutz and accident prone so put that all togeth- I’m sorry, I’m rambling.’

‘Don’t let me stop you.’

‘I’m actually on the clock right now so what can I do for you? Did you just come in here for that?’ I gesture at the bright blue cloth bracelet in his hands.

‘I actually got a good look at your nametag so I thought I’d find you here.’

‘Oh?’

‘Yeah, I’m in town for two days so I was thinking you’d like to come see us play tomorrow night.’

‘Do you invite all the girls to your shows?’

‘Just the ones who waste their drinks on me. So should I save you a ticket for tomorrow’s gig? It’ll be at the House of Blues.’

‘Sure why not?’

‘Great, just don’t bring some large drink tomorrow.’ He says after paying for the bracelet, ‘bye Mackenzie.’

‘Bye Michael.’
♠ ♠ ♠
so i've started yet another story! this one as you can tell will be all about michael clifford. i hope you like it!

remember, comments, recommendations, and subscribers are always appreciated! thanks (: