Kiss Me, Kiss Me

ten.

Michael’s Point of View

I sat in my bunk waiting for the show. I look at the time, knowing that McKenzie was probably at work right about now. The thought of some scumbag, prick touching her made me want to punch a hole in the wall. I insisted on coming down to Texas to set him straight but McKenzie practically begged me not to. We finally came to an agreement that she had three days to handle it herself before I came down and handled it for her. I didn’t like this agreement, not one damn bit. I hated just sitting back waiting like this.

‘Michael!’ Luke shouts from the bunk over, ‘going with Calum and Ashton. Do you want to tag along?’

‘Not right now.’ I call back, ‘I’ll just catch up with you guys before the show.’

‘See ya.’ Luke calls, as the bus’ door slams closed.

The door soon opens again and someone’s footsteps tap against the wooden floor of the bus.

‘Michael.’ Celeste calls and I attempt to hold back the oncoming groan of annoyance, ‘I just ran into Luke and he said you were in here.’

‘Yeah.’ I reply shortly throwing my phone into the air again and again, ‘why?’

‘I just wanted to see what you were up to. Is that a crime?’ Celeste murmurs pulling back the short sheet to my bunk, ‘Why are you all in here by yourself?’

‘No reason.’ I subtlety move myself closer to the wall, ‘Don’t take this the wrong way or anything but why are you in here? Surely you and Jonah have better things to do.’

‘Not exactly.’ She singsongs leaning further into my bunk, ‘I was thinking maybe you and I could do something?’

‘I don’t think that would be the best idea…’ I start off slowly not making eye contact, ‘For either of us.’

‘Why are you in your bunk all by yourself pouting over some girl?’

‘One – I am not pouting. Two – McKenzie is much more than some girl. Three – I’d highly appreciate it if you got out of our bus. With the highest level of respect that is.’

‘Suit yourself, Mikey.’ Celeste singsongs, ‘but you do know where to find me.’

I watch as Celeste sways her way out of the bus. I definitely wasn’t in the mood for Celeste’s shit. I couldn’t possibly try to handle McKenzie’s sleazy ass boss and Celeste’s bullshit. I am so over my damn head.

McKenzie’s Point of View

Today I was going to face Devin again. Luckily, I had yesterday off where I didn’t have to see him. I wish I could have every day off.

‘Good morning, Mck.’ Devin grins jingling the keys in his palm, ‘how are you?’

‘Good morning.’ I reply giving my shirt an uncomfortable tug.

As much as I despised Devin – this was my job. I couldn’t come in giving him an attitude; he could easily make my life a living hell here. From the corner of my eye I could see Devin’s dark eyes gazing in my direction. Chills rise up my spine as a chuckle fills the air.

‘Everything okay?’ Devin wonders pushing the doors open.

‘Just a little tired.’ I answer with a nod.

When Devin informed me it was my lunch hour I practically ran out of the store. On my way to Panda Express I ran into Sheila. Sheila was my former manager at Earth Bound. As much as she was a bitch she was a thousand times better than Devin.

‘Oh, hey.’ She actually acknowledges my presence taking me by surprise, ‘I haven’t seen you around much.’

‘Right.’ I nod, ‘how are things at Body Central?’

‘I definitely don’t miss all the creepy things at Earth Bound if that’s what you’re hinting at.’

I offer her a weak smile suddenly missing Shelia barking orders from her office while she filed her fingernails. I didn’t have to sit on edge with every minute of my eight-hour shift.

‘Everything okay?’ Shelia wonders, again, taking me by surprise. ‘How are things at Earth Bound? Is the manager decent?’

‘He’s, okay.’ I swallow remembering Devin’s haunting words in the back of my mind.

Shelia opens her mouth to respond when the worker calls out her name for her order.

‘See you around. You know where I work.’ Shelia says retrieving her food and drink.

‘Bye, Shelia.’ I wave stepping forward in the line.

I slightly smile as Shelia walks off. She actually cares. I never thought I would see the day. Maybe she could help me with this whole Devin problem. Just maybe.

‘Oh, good, you’re back.’ Devin stands from behind the register, ‘I’m going to get lunch so I’ll see you when I get back.’

‘Okay.’ I respond quietly not making eye contact with Devin. ‘See you when you get back.’

‘I must say – I am enjoying this pleasant attitude of yours today. I thought for sure that I would I have to reprimand you after that stunt you pulled at closing the other day.’ Devin speaks with the smuggest grin spread across his face, ‘I’m glad you and I can see eye-to-eye.’

I felt like sending Michael and “okay” text just to watch him beat the hell out of this guy. He definitely deserves it. I use the free time of Devin being gone to text Michael.

How’s your day going? – McKenzie.

It’s better now – Michael.

You are so lame lol – McKenzie.

You like it! – Michael.

Maybe… - McKenzie.

How are those three days going? – Michael.

I text Michael for a while longer before Devin slithers his way back into the store after his lunch break. For the rest of the day I managed to do my tasks while steering clear of him. At the end of the day Devin and I walk out of the store together like we have since he got there.

‘Good work today. I would say it was a very productive day, wouldn’t you?’

‘Yes, sir.’

‘Hm, sir.’ He stiffs out a short, amused laugh, ‘I could definitely get used to that.’

I could take it anymore. I needed to get rid of him some kind of way. When I make it home my mom is sitting down at the kitchen table with some romantic novel in her hands.

‘Hey mom, how was work?’

‘It was all right I guess. I’ve been looking at new positions within the company- I think I’ve gotten the whole receptionist thing done at this point.’

‘I think that would really be good for you.’ I smile in return.

‘How was your day sweetheart?’

‘I’ve had better.’

‘Do you want to talk about it?’

‘No right now but thanks. You will be the first person I come to when I do.’

‘Good.’ My mom replies while I head to my room to plug my phone up before it dies.

I had two days before Michael decided to take matters into his own hands – two days.