Kiss Me, Kiss Me

two.

‘Where are you headed?’ my mom looks up from her drink in her hands.

I was actually surprised she’s left out of her room today. Recently there were some cutbacks at the used car dealership she worked for and the ending wasn’t pretty. For the last two weeks she’s locked herself inside of her room, stressed about all of the bills that needed to be taken care of. Her hair was in a messy ponytail and she wore her usual dark blue cardigan like some kind of security blanket.

‘I’m just going out, no big deal.’ I say attempting to grab my purse and jacket to make an escape out of the side door.

‘You look pretty nice just to be going, out.’ she presses with a knowing smile, ‘what’s his name?’

‘There’s no name mom. I’ll see you when I get back.’ I shake my head and continue towards the door.

‘I love you.’

‘Love you.’ I say before the screen door closes behind me.

The drive to the House of Blues was about forty minutes long, twenty of those minutes I waited behind a long train of cars trying to get into the parking lot. After finally finding a parking space in one of the last rows I head towards the ticket window.

‘Hello, my name’s McKenzie and I should be on some sort of list?’ I say both quietly and awkwardly not knowing how this worked. All I did was run into Michael with a drink and exchanged names. Nothing to fancy.

‘Yeah, you and a thousand other people.’ The cashier behind the glass window grumbles, ‘stop wasting my time. Next.’

I move out of the way for the girls who actually had tickets of their own. They squealed once the man gave them the wristbands to go inside of the building. I just needed to find Michael and get all of this straightened out. I’m sure he could tell the people what’s going on here. I stalk my way to the side of the building and wait for the door to open. Some man in a suit comes out of the door aggressively talking into his phone failing to acknowledge my presence. I slip through the door where there were dozens of people walking around. Girls dressed in skin tight clothing with VIP passes paraded backstage with clear cups of beer. Little girls pulled along their parents trying to meet the band. Interviewers held onto the pens and small notebooks as well as their large fancy cameras.

‘Where is your pass?’ some large bald man dressed in black glares at me, ‘looks like we have a stowaway!’ he calls out and all eyes were on me. ‘Alright, let’s go.’

‘No, you don’t understand. I’m supposed to be meeting Michael here.’

‘If only you knew how many times I’ve heard that.’ He laughs to himself, ‘come on. No pass – no backstage.’

‘Nice grammar.’ I scoff as his large hand is placed on my back. ‘How about you go ask him and see what he says.’

‘That’s enough out of you. Better luck next show.’ He gives me a small shove towards the exit door.

‘McKenzie?’ Michael’s inviting accent calls out down the hall and I was grateful.

‘See.’ I smile at the large security guard who suddenly became a thousand times kinder.

‘What’s going on?’ Michael wonders rocking back and forth on the heel of his boots.

‘Well I tried to come in through the front but the cashier wouldn’t let me in because I wasn’t on a list. Then I came back here and slipped inside to find you when this one tries to throw me out.’

‘List?’ Michael raises an eyebrow as he runs his hand across his subtle stubble. ‘There is no list. I realized I forgot to get your number before I left. I’m just glad you managed to get inside. Might I say, sneaking backstage – badass.’

‘Ha ha.’ I shake my head suddenly embarrassed, ‘you’re the one who failed to ensure that I got in easily.’

‘Well I apologize,’ he laughs, ‘come on and meet the lads.’

‘Okay.’ I follow Michael down the hall ignoring the gapping stares that I received. ‘Are you nervous?’

‘Nah, not anymore.’ He shakes his head, ‘maybe when we first started out but now I cannot wait to get on the stage.’

‘How long are you in town?’

‘I’m leaving tonight.’ He turns to look at me before pushing the door open that read “band” and I followed him inside. ‘So, guys, this is the girl who spilt her drink on me. McKenzie, the band, Ashton, Calum, and Luke.’

‘Hey.’ I nod politely glancing around the dressing room.

‘How’s it going?’ Ashton wonders with his drumsticks in the palm of his hands.

‘Good.’

‘Our friend Mikey here just wouldn’t shut up about the girl who spilt her drink on him last night after the signing.’ Calum reveals nudging Michael.

‘Yeah, you should’ve heard him talk about how hot you were.’

‘I hate all of you.’ Michael grumbles flopping down on the sofa, ‘come sit.’

‘So you were talking about me, huh?’

‘They’re exaggerating really.’ He mumbles beside me as he turns away. ‘And they are known to be habitual liars at times.’

‘So, where are you headed after this show?’ I decide to change the subject for Michael’s sake.

‘Chicago, New York, Toronto, San Francisco, LA, and some other ones. Not in that order.’

‘Wow, busy schedule.’

‘You have no idea.’ He stiffs out a laugh, ‘I get confused myself about where we are.’

‘I bet it’s nice.’

‘What’s nice?’

‘Traveling the world. You get to go to all of these places and see all of these things. That is probably the only thing on my “bucket list” – travel the world.’

Michael opens his mouth to respond when someone taps repeatedly on the door with a rhythmic beat.

‘Show time fellas. Let’s go.’

‘Alright, we can finish this conversation up later. Come on.’

I follow Michael out to the now less crowded hallway and watch, as the guys get ready to go onstage.

‘I almost forget, here you go.’ Michael jogs back over to me and slides a VIP pass around my neck. ‘So now no one will have anything to say to you. If by chance they do, tell them you’re with me.’ He grabs a Sharpie marker from the dressing room and scribbles his signature down onto it.

‘Good luck.’

‘Thank you.’ He smiles before rushing out onto the stage to catch up with his band mates. ‘Hello Dallas! Are you ready to spend the night with us?!’ Michael shouts into his microphone just as the lights go up and the music starts.