Kiss Me, Kiss Me

nine.

In Devin’s time as manager he never failed to reach a disgusting level of creepy. He would always allow his hand to rest on my skin for too long. His shifty eyes would always stare for too many seconds to be innocent. I wanted to speak up time and time again but I didn’t want to cause any trouble. I needed this job. I didn’t mention this to Michael because he just started his Rock Out with Your Socks Out tour with Broken Mirrors. I couldn’t distract him – not right now. Tonight Mikey and I had a Skype date so we could catch up. I could not wait to leave Earth Bound so I could rush home to see his face for the first time in days.

‘Hey, McKenzie.’ Devin calls out coming from the back room, ‘did you get those tasks done yet?’

‘Finishing right now.’ I reply laying a fresh level of sand for the hermit crabs. ‘I did inventory a while ago as well as cleaning out the supply closet. I put the tags on the jewelry too.’

‘Wow, if I didn’t know any better I’d think that you were in a hurry to get out of here.’ He barks out a laugh that sends chills to my core.

‘No, not at all, sir.’ I shake my head with an uncomfortable laugh, ‘I just can’t sit still for too long.’

‘So, it’s Friday night – do you have any plans?’ Devin wonders leaning against the wall near the hermit crab tank.

‘Something like that.’ I stand to my feet and brush the sand from my jeans. ‘What about you?’

‘Something like that.’ He repeats with a sly smile.

‘Sounds cool. I’m gonna get the broom from the back and clean this up.’ I step away trying to break from Devin’s gaze.

‘You do that.’

I scurry into the back room to retrieve the broom and dustpan without turning back. I close the door behind me and pull out my phone to text Michael.

Cannot wait to get off so I can go home and see you. – McKenzie.

Hurry up lol im bored! – Michael.

I smile at his text before coming back to the main floor before Devin came looking for me. I sweep the sand up and put all of the display items away for the day then make sure every thing else is taken care of.

‘Good job today.’ Devin says as we walk to the glass double doors to lock up for the day, ‘I will see you on Sunday.’ He runs a hand up and down my back.

‘Excuse me.’ I hiss yanking my body from his grasp.

‘It could be our little secret, you know?’

‘I’m pretty sure that’s against store policy.’ I say aloud, causing Tony from Hallmark across the hall to look our way.

‘What? I simply touched your arm to get around you. I really don’t want you to get the wrong idea. I mean you’re an attractive girl and all but I’m not trying to get fired. You know company policy and all.’ Devin defends giving me a look that I couldn’t decipher, ‘If you cost me this job, you’ll be sorry. I am not someone you want to screw around with.’ He mutters harshly before locking up, ‘Have a good weekend.’

I couldn’t get out of the mall fast enough. I practically fall into my car and lock the doors behind me. My hands shook as I tried to start the car. I could feel my heart pounded rapidly, I swear it was going to fall right out onto the dashboard. Devin is a slippery snake. That slippery snake was my boss. I had to answer to him. He borderline threatened me. How was I supposed to look him in the eye on Sunday? I make it home about twenty minutes later then immediately go into my room to Skype with Michael.

Made it home. Are you free? – McKenzie.

It’s about time dammit! Turn your laptop on – Michael.

I plop my down onto my bed and pull my laptop out in front of me. I click on Michael’s username and wait as it dings. Within an instant Michael’s face flashes onto the screen. His bright blue hair was scattered all over his hair making him look irresistible.

‘Hi!’ I singsong waving into the camera.

‘Hi.’ He repeats with a laugh, ‘you look pretty.’

‘Thank you.’ I smile running a hand through my hair, ‘you don’t look bad yourself.’

‘How was your day?’ Michael questions moving around in his small bunk bed on the tour bus. ‘Tell me – I wanna hear all about it.’

As I look into Michael’s eyes through the screen I thought about what I could say where I wouldn’t be lying to him. That’s the last thing I want to do is lie to him or make him not trust me. On the other hand, he has enough on his plate without me dropping my problems on him. Especially since we weren’t dating. Michael and I are friends, unfortunately, but just friends.

‘Uh oh – I know that face. What are you thinking about Kenz?’

‘It’s nothing.’ I shrug, hoping Michael will drop the conversation, ‘How was your day off?’

‘Wait, wait, wait. I’ll tell you whatever you want to here after you tell me what’s bothering you. I can clearly see it’s something so spill it.’

‘Okay.’ I sigh, ‘Promise that you won’t get wound up over this because I am thinking of how to handle it.’

‘I promise.’ He holds his hand up in the air with curious eyes.

‘So, you know my new boss Devin…?’ I start before going into the last few days of work and Devin’s shady behavior.

‘Why in the hell didn’t you tell me the first time it happened?!’ Michael nearly shouts.

‘Michael…’

‘No McKenzie! I am flying there the first chance I get and I’m going to beat the hell out of this guy. I swear to God I’m going to make him regret even looking at you.’

‘Mich-…’

‘I cannot believe the nerve of some people. Asshole. I am about to look for a flight right now. Just give me a couple of hours and I will be on my way.’

‘Michael!’ I finally manage to interject, ‘Listen to me! I need you to let me handle this in my own. Okay? I appreciate your willingness to help but please I need to do this right. As much as I want to see you kick his ass, you’ll end up in more trouble than it’s worth. I just need some time, okay? I’m going to figure this out.’

‘McKenzie.’ Michael stares, unconvinced.

‘Please, Michael. I really need you to trust me on this.’

‘I can’t sit back and do nothing.’

‘Just give me a few days.’

‘A few days.’
♠ ♠ ♠
eight months! eight long months and this is only chapter nine! i've decided to bring this story back because i just love michael that much. i hope that you enjoyed the latest chapter and come back for more. Kiss Me, Kiss Me will be updated on Sundays and Wednesdays along with my Harry Styles story "Still the One"- be sure to check that out as well if Harry floats your boat.

A/N: this is just a fanfic and it doesn't accurately portray Michael or anyone else mentioned in this story. I have nothing but the highest level of admiration of Michael and I would never write something to display him in a bad light. Anything in the story is strictly for entertainment purposes only.