The Woman in Red

Always More

The wind was crisp and light as it danced delicately across my face, the potatoes in one hand being skinned by the sharp knife in the other, the skins falling into the bin below me. Humorous laughs brought me eyes up to see three boys running up to the porch of the station. All three with cropped dark hair and blue eyes.

The oldest, about 14, was a good head a half taller than the middle with a mischievous gleam in his eyes as he carried a bat over his shoulder tossing a worn leather baseball up in the air and catching it. The second was merely a few years younger than the first with shorter hair and stockier build freckles still ever present on his cheeks and nose. The third was the youngest of the bunch with hair that was hidden under a cap and fuller, round cheeks his eyes still large and bright with innocence as he followed his brothers to the open grass. I watched on content as they took their places and began hitting the baseball to each other. A soft crying caught my attention and a slight panic struck my heart like a hot knife, but soon faded at the cause of the mournful cry.

Walking from the same way the boys had come from stalked Forrest. In his arms was a bundle of light pink material that made up the toddlers dress. The bright auburn curls bounced with every hiccup and step as she buried her head further into the crook of his neck.

“Oh Marleigh May…” I cooed, the name slipping from my lips with ease and familiarity as I stood wiping my hands on the apron around my waist and walked to them. The girl looked up, her bright blue eyes shiny with tears her full apple cheeks flushed and trembling along with her tiny pink lips.

“Mama..” she whimpered reaching her chunky arms out to me. I took her from Forrest’s arms and held her to me cuddling the chubby girl as I took my seat back on the edge of the porch. Forrest followed and sat beside me . After a few minutes of whispering sweet nothings into her ear she calmed down and pulled away her head from my neck. Forrest reached and pushed a curl from her face her small hand grabbing his fingers and playing with the gold band around his ring finger.

“What happened sweet girl?”

“ ‘ett pushed me down.” She hiccupped.

My head snapped up to the three boys my voice changing “Rhett Grayson Boundurant! Did you push your little sister?”

The youngest brother looked up his face paling and eyes wide under the cap he wore. “No mama!” he shook his head furiously “I didn’t!”

“Honest mama he didn’t touch her.” The oldest piped in.

“Its her own fault anyways! We told her not to follow us and she did anyways, she don’t listen!” the middle grumbled.

“That’s enough out of you Beau!” Forrest barked pointing a finger at the boy who was mouthing off about his sister. Forrest turned to the oldest “What happened Dalton?”

The oldest sighed wiping at his sweaty face. “Marleigh followed us into the woods Rhett was infront of her and he tripped over a root in the leaves then Marliegh fell over him.”

After the little tiff was settled Marleigh sat in the grass playing with the hound Rosco as the boys continued their game. Forrest sighed heavily and positioned himself behind me, resting his head on my shoulder.

“What we gonna do with ‘em all Fancy?”

I chuckled looking out at our four children. “Feed em, clothe em, and raise em like they should be.”
He sighed heavily his hands falling down to my waist. “This is the last one now, ya hear me.”
I chuckled placing one hand over his, they protruded out because of the small bump. “That’s what you said about Beau. Besides you know you love being a daddy as much as I love being a momma.”

“I do love em. I don’t always like em though.”

I laughed heartily at his confession and leaned back into him. “Dalton Michael, Beau Manson, Rhett Grayson, and Marleigh May.”

“My own personal three ring circus.” Forrest chuckled.

“You know you love it.” I sighed. “What are you hoping for? Another boy or girl?”

“Hell at this point I don’t care. I’ve had my taste of both not sure I’m ready to pick my poison yet.”
I looked up at him and smiled, at this moment I noticed how aged he was grays beginning to highlight his dark hair and soft wrinkles marring his skin under his loving eyes.

“I love you.” I whispered.

He opened his mouth just as a loud crack echoed and Forrest pushed me into the dirt as the sound of glass breaking split through the air. My body began to shake in uncontrollable laughs as Forrest glared over his shoulder at his sons who gave a sheepish look before running off.

“You better not run off boys! I catch you run off to Uncle Howard’s or Uncle Jack’s I’ll have your hide!”

Looking back at me he offered a gentle smile, seeing me smiling like I was. Grasping a hand full of the moist dirt I reached the hand up and caressed his cheek smearing the mud into his skin.
He chuckled, leaning down

“I love you too Fancy Rae.”
~*~*~*~*~*
My eyes gently opened to take in the sunlight peeking through the curtains. It was early morning and the grey November sky was chilly and dismal. Pulling myself upright out of bed I pulled a robe around me and headed to the kitchen to make breakfast and have a cup of coffee. The breakfast I made was simple eggs and toast and just as I was serving the breakfast on the plates the boys arrived in the main room. As they sat and ate I took comfort in my coffee.

“How ya feelin’ Fancy?” Howard mumbled around a large piece of toast.

“Better” I answered giving a small smile. “I had to get out of that room, I was getting cabin fever.”

“You feel like taking a drive today?”

Forrest’s voice shocked me as I looked at him he shoveled another bite of eggs into his mouth and looked at me expectantly. “Sure. When?”

“After we finish breakfast and as soon as you get ready.”

I nodded and downed my coffee before climbing the steps to get ready. I looked through my clothes and decided on a tea length wool skirt and a sweater as I layed the outfit on my freshly made bed I dropped the robe and slipped the straps of my nightgown off my body allowing it to pool at my feet. I zipped the skirt in place and added stockings just as I reached for my brasserie the door opened I yelped and covered myself. Forrest’s frame occupied the open door space and the look on his face said it all. His face was as red as a beet as his eyes trailed up and down my frame.

“Forrest…” I whispered. He shook his head and apologized as he shuffled to close the door. I grabbed his hand and pulled him further into the room, closing the door as I did so. He looked at me curiously but never spoke a word. I looked into his eyes and gently captured his hand in between both of mine. Playing with his fingers gently as I contemplated what I was doing. The hand I held was limp as I brought it to my lips. My eyes locked with his as I grazed my lips over the rough calloused fingertips.

“Touch me Forrest.”

He mumbled under his breath and seemed to be debating his eyes scanning over the floor repeatedly, seeing he was making no effort to move I placed his hand on my collarbone and sighed closing my eyes. The warmth of his skin excited my senses and goose bumps erupted. I was shocked to feel his full lips suckle the space where my shoulder joined my neck. Forrest’s hand explored my torso softly, the gentleness and slowness of his movements overwhelming coming from the large, bulky 6’5 man. I gasped as he pulled me closer to him a hand tracing down my back to hold me in place. He trailed his lips from my neck nuzzling my cheek his lips hovering merely centimeters over the skin just as he reached my lips he pulled away.

“Dress warm. Its cold outside.”

Turning on his heel he retreated from the room without another word I looked at the closed door surprised and suddenly freezing without his warm touch. I dressed hurriedly and pulled my hair into a French twist looking in the mirror I sighed defeated. I looked a fright! My skin icy pale and lips blood red my eyes dull . I pinched at me cheeks to add some color and retreated downstairs.

“Ready?”

I nodded at Forrest and pulled on my coat following him outside to the jalopy and climbed in the middle in between Forrest and Howard. We drove in silence down the dirt road the tree’s looking dreary bare of leaves their grey arms reaching out to drag us into the abyss. We finally pulled down a jarring dirt road and I noticed we were at the farm the boys grew up on.
As we stepped out I shivered wrapping my arms around myself as the wind picked up.

“What are we doing here?” I questioned as Howard wandered off to the barn and Forrest stayed near me shoving his fists into his cardigan.

“Thanksgiving’s coming up. Since you’re staying thought it might be nice to have a real dinner again.” He puffed on his cigar as he looked around. The farm was large and opened surrounded by woods making you feel as if you had been pulled into a secluded island hidden from the world. Where family and hard work was all you needed to make it through life. The old farm house looked the same as it ever had along with the barn. An occasional moo of the cattle and cocky chirps of the chickens filling the silence.

“I’m not sure I follow.”

“The cook” Howard smirked as he exited the barn offering me a cleaver “picks out the bird.”

My eyes widened in realization as I looked back and forth between the two. “Oh no” I shook my head “I can’t do that!”

“Oh yes you can!” Howard smiled pushing toward the wire pen where the turkeys and chickens.

“No Howard please I-“

“Oh now come on Fancy! Don’t tell me living in the city has turned you into a little pussy cat!” He bellowed out a deep hearty laugh.

“Howard” I struggled for him to release my arm. “STOP!” he did and let go of my wrist, tears glided down my face and I wrapped my arms around me before returning back to the jalopy. Forrest followed telling Howard as he went.

“Go kill the damn bird.”

He opened the door and looked in at me. My body was shaking and whimpers falling from my lips.

“You want to tell me what that was all about?” He asked.

I looked at him and our eyes locked “That’s how Willie began sending threats.” I swallowed hard “He would cut up animals and send them to me wrapped in nice packages. Said he would hate to have to do that to me.”

“There’s more aint there?”

I paused a moment before nodding. “There's always more, Forrest. Just give me time.” I whispered before locking eyes again “I’ll tell you, just not now.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment, Rec, Subscribe!