The Woman in Red

Angie's

“Tell me again why you wanted to head into town?” Forrest drawled, his green eyes shaded under his hat kept focused on the dirt road. His thick arm was thrown across the back of the truck seat, his fingertips ghosting over the skin of my arm affectionately.

It was Spring, and Franklin had warmed up enjoyably and colorful flowers that littered the lush green hills were joyful to the eye after the frigid months of snow.

“I was getting cabin fever.” I mused grasping his roaming fingers and planting a kiss to the back of his hand. “And besides I haven’t been to town since I got here.”

“ why the hell do you want to go see Franklin? Full of nothing but gossipy ole hags.” He mumbled around his cigar.

“oh hush. Chicago had its share of gossipy ole hags too.”

“But these ole southern bats meaner than a rattlesnake.”

I chuckled as Forrest parked the truck outside Bucannon’s. He slammed the door shut and discarded his cigar as he met me on the other side and walked with me inside the store. The smell of sweet feed was intoxicating as Forrest approached the counter. I staggered back observing the stocked shelves. The rows of hard candies, jarred fruits and vegetables used to resemble golden treasures I could only hope to taste as a child, but now they were just a casualty of life. Nothing spectacular at all. I collected the few things needed for the kitchen at the station and met Forrest back at the counter placing the items beside him as he was scrawling his orders down on a spare sheet of ripped paper.

“Ah Mr. Bondurant” the tall, lanky Ted Bucannon waltzed out from the back of the store. The top of his head shined like a new penny and bright blue eyes, that wrinkled in the corner due to all his smiling, stared kindly behind circle rimmed glasses. “Good to see you.”

“Mr. Bucannon” Forrest acknowledged as he listed his last purchase before offering a large hand to shake.

“Hows the station?” the store owner asked as he began to read off the list under his breath.

“Better than ever. I could blame it on Franklin’s vacation appeal or this little charm right here.”

Forrest said wrapping an arm around me. Mr. Bucannon, seeming to jump as if he just realized I was there, began to study me in wonder.

“I’m sorry but have we met before?” Mr. Bucannon asked politely, seemingly pained that he couldn’t place me. As I opened my mouth to reply a shrill voice interrupted.

“Bless my soul! Fancy Rae Baker! Teddy how can you not have recognized this gorgeous girl.” A bodacious, older blonde dressed in a blue number walked into the store, her heels clicking on the dusty flooreboards. “Course she hasn’t been around these parts since she was little shy of eighteen.”
Lucille Bucannon was a snake in the form of a Methodist preachers daughter. A Sunday service never met without her leading the pack, although, while leading, she was talking any pour soul’s reputation into the ground.

I faked a smile as I turned to her and squared my shoulders. “That’s right Mrs. Buccanon. I went to Chicago.”

“Oh is that right?” Lucille smiled sickly sweet, her eyes burning for more knowledge. “Whatever for, darling?”

As if she didn’t already know.

“Education.” I smiled feeling slightly superior. “My mother sent me to live with a private tutor. I work with him now.”

At least it wasn’t a total lie.

“Well how very fortunate of you! My, my however did your mother afford that? I know our Ella May would adore to go off somewhere exotic like Chicago.”

I felt my jaw clench. “She had been saving up for it.” I answered. “And the last of Daddy’s work money covered the rest.”

“Well Im so happy to see our prayers worked! After you up and disappeared the church prayed for you darlin.’”

“Well, thank you Mrs. Buccannon I do appreciate it.”

Forrest could sense the tenseness in my voice and placed a hand on waist in a sign it was time to leave.

“Er, Forrest I’ll have those order ready in about an hour alright.”

“Thank ye Ted.” Forrest responded with a wave of his hand as he guided me out the door before another word could be exchanged between the peroxide blonde and I.

The sun warmed my skin and eased my body’s tension. Forrest popped the top to a frosty Coca-Cola bottle and raised it to his lips.

“You gonna make lyin’ a common thing now?”

“Technically it wasn’t a complete lie. Floyd did have me tutored and I do work for him. I don’t particularly care to have Lucille Bucannon know my life story, do you?”

Forrest grunted in response as we took a seat on a nearby bench. I rested my form into Forrest’s as he lit another cigar. Forrest passed me the glass bottle and I lifted it to my lips.

“I mean its not like anyone else needs to know.” I began, my eyes focusing into the distance in thought. “As long as you know the truth, does it matter who else does?”

I brought the bottle to my lips once more. A drop of cold sweat of the bottle slid down my chin to my neck. As I realized Forrest wasn’t answering me I looked at him. His eyes were focused on the water droplet on my neck. A swirl of desire flashed in his eyes and a blush burned its way from my toes at the public setting.

“Lets get out of this heat and go look around in Angie’s.” I stuttered in a desperate attempt to break Forrest’s train of thought.

Once we entered the little dress shop I scurried to the furthest dress rack to separate myself from Forrest. I could still feel the burn in my cheeks and heat coursing through my veins. I tried to look busy as my eyes skimmed through the dresses. I didn’t need one, Floyd had spoiled me with rich fabrics and silhouettes over the years and had enough dresses to last me a lifetime without ever having to repeat an outfit. Yet, it still never hurt to look. My fingers stopped on a light, feathery fabric and I pulled it from the rack. It was a deep blue number. The light feeling of the fabric was a far cry in difference from the expensive garments I wore but it would be more appropriate for country life.

“You gonna try it on?”

I jumped at Forrest’s voice. I blinked and looked up at him.

“Uh- I don’t think so. I have plenty of dresses. I really don-“

Forrest grabbed the garment from me and walked to the attendant in few strides.

“The lady would like to try this on.” He responded flatly.

“Forrest!” I scolded.

“Sure” the woman beamed. She accepted the garment from Forrest and I followed her to the back throwing a glare at Forrest along the way. The woman opened the small changing room and placed the hanger on the hook.

“You can wait right out here sir.” She directed Forrest to a armchair outside the changing room before turning to me. “If there’s anything else I can help you with please let me know.”

I glared at Forrest again before closing the door. I changed from the blouse and skirt into the dress. I pulled my medium cut hair up off my neck and admired the outcome. The color was nice on my skintone and made my eyes seem to sparkle. I reached for the door and Forrests eyes looked up.

“Well?” I asked “What do you think?”

Forrest’s eyes scanned up and down but he said nothing. Maybe he didn’t like it. I felt my smile fall as
I turned to close the door when Forrest shot out his hand to stop me. He pushed the door wider allowing him room to enter the already tight space before closing the door.

“Forrest what are y-“

His lips met mine with such force I fell back into the wall. I tasted the smokiness of his cigar and the sweetness of the cola linger on his lips. His fingers tangled into my hair and his tongue took power over mine. His body hoisted mine higher onto the wall, his lower body pinning me in place.
I kissed back hungrily, running my fingers through his hair, making his hat fall to the floor. Forrest pushed my underwear to the side and I gasped in surprise, allowing him to bite my lip tenderly.

“Oh..” I moaned as his fingers toyed. My head fell back, eyes shut. Forrest latched to my neck suckling and biting. My nails dug into his hair tighter.

I heard a zipper and then his cock running the length of my wet core. I shivered in anticipation. Finally, Forrest lined himself up and entered me, hard and ready. Once he filled me to the hilt, Forrest maneuvered his hips in an erotic motion, his rough thumb working my sensitive clit.

“Forrest, Oh God! Forrest!” I bit into his shoulder in an attempt to quiet myself. Forrest spare hand worked on the few buttons on the dress releasing my breast before assaulting them in tender bites and kisses.

Forrest widened my leg and thrusted harder. I felt my legs shake and moans poured from both our mouths. I was close. Heels sounded outside the room and Forrest quickly covered my mouth with his hand as he continued to thrust into me.

“Ma’m is everything ok?” the attendant asked.

I took a deep breath as Forrest lowered his hand for me to answer. “Y-yes! I’m fine!”

I threw my head back as my climax began biting my lip in order to keep the feral sounds at bay.

“Where is your husband?”

I couldn’t answer as my body was overrun with pleasure. Forrest came soon after. He still held my trembling body against the wall and kissed me softly.

“Ma’m?”

I blinked realizing her last question had gone unanswered. “Uh, I believe he stepped outside for a smoke. I’m-I’m having a little trouble with this zipper.”

“Do you need help?”

“No! No thank you I’ve almost got it now.”

“Well, do you like the dress?”

I looked at Forrest and smiled. “I’ll take it.”

~*~*~

“Well I certainly feel spoiled” I whispered into Forrest’s ear as we left Angie’s. Three boxes filled the
bag I carried: the dress, new stockings, and a beautiful scarf.

“Don’t get used to it.” Forrest grumbled cutting his eyes at me with a small smile.

“Oh but I’ll have to think of some way to repay you.” I teased running my hands up his chest as I placed the bag in the cab of the truck.

Forrest smirked and slammed the door to the cab as we prepared to enter Bucannon’s again to pick up our purchase.

I left Forrest to discuss business with Mr. Bucannon. My eyes skimmed through the merchandise again. I waltzed over to a corner where fabrics were tiered on spindles. My finger-tips ran across a pale blue one. A small smile formed as I thought back to the dream I had had months ago. Children with Forrest…

“You know no one has seen her since she left that day? And now she strolls back into town with that Bondurant boy.”

“Well at least she looks well. Maybe she’s doing well for herself in Chicago.”

“If she was doing so well in Chicago why would she come back here Ann. She don’t got nothing here. Her daddy and momma’s dead and that sister of hers was shipped off God knows where. She ain’t got no family. And that bluff her daddy’s death paid for her to go to Chicago? Pft her daddy’s last dime went to putting food in her sister’s belly I know that for a fact. So what did she really do in Chicago? Nothing good I bet you. The Devil’s work. That’s why she’s back here to shack up with them Bondurants. Forrest is doing good you know? The station, his daddy’s farm, lumbar not to mention the moonshine. And do I dare mention Lee told me that she’s living in the station with Forrest? Unmarried and living alone with that man. It’s sinful. ”

“Such a shame.”

“I tell you it’s a blessing in disguise God taking her momma and daddy. Lord rest their souls. They would be ashamed to know that’s how their daughter turned out.”

“And what about my upbringing would be shameful exactly?” I asked my voice loud and clear. Lucille Bucannon, Ann Russel, and Gertrude Harrison all paled from their spot behind a bookshelf.

“Oh!” Lucille began. “I’m so sorry Fancy Rae! Everybody knows I let my mouth run away with me!”

“Yes mam. You always did have that Christian courage when no one can hear you isn’t that right Mrs. Bucannon.”

Lucille left her mouth to hang in an ‘o’ shape.

“My life is sinful, shameful? Does it not say in James 4:11 ‘Do not speak evil of one another. If you criticize and judge each other then you are criticizing and judging God’s law.’ And as far as your sin of gossip I would recommend reading Ephesians 4:29. And I’ll be sure to pray for you ladies. After all, it seems our favorite sins are the ones that do us in.”

With that, I turned on my heel and headed for the door.

“Sorry Ted, you can blame this sale loss on your wife.” Forrest said sliding the merchandise back across the counter. A horribly embarrassed Ted nodded in understanding and muttered a sincere apology.

I stared out the window as the sky darkened. Neither of us had spoken since our departure from town. I felt Forrest’s gaze on me from time to time. He reached across and attempted to place an arm around me but I shouldered it off.

“Fancy..” he sighed.

“Just don’t Forrest” I griped.

“Fancy don’t listen to them old cows. They’ve always been trouble.”

There was a long silence and Forrest growled in defeat and focused his attention back on driving.

“What if they’re right Forrest?” my voice broke through the silence like a child’s cry from a nightmare.

“ ‘bout what?”

“Momma and daddy being ashamed of me.. How I turned out.”

“Fancy you can’t go worrying yourself about things like that. We aint got no way of understanding this world. Nothing can change the fact the worlds happened to you all the same. The important fact is your life is changing.”

I raised a brow at him “Ever thought of becoming a write Bondurant?”

Forrest scoffed “fuck no.”

I smiled softly and moved the Angie’s bag to the passenger side. Sliding across the middle of the cab, I curled into Forrest’s open embrace. I settled my head under his chin as Forrest wrapped his arm around my body to hold me tight and pressed a kiss to my forehead.
♠ ♠ ♠
Trying to revamp it a little! Let me know what you think!