The Woman in Red

Blackwater Station

The harsh dull greys of the stone city slowly spread into green before green was all I could see. The trees grew taller and more free not planted in straight lines and trimmed to eye appeal. Floyd's hand stayed on my knee the entire trip in a sign of comfort though comfort for me or him I wasn't sure. As we entered Virginia I felt this excitement begin to bubble. Things began to look familiar and before I knew it I saw the creek. The rolling water creating white caps over the smooth rocks under the surface.

The car pulled off the main road and followed the river before pulling up a driveway. A two story dark wood building appeared a couple gas pumps stood outside the building. My eyes scanned up the steps to the porch admiring the signs that hung from the front. Floyd stepped out straightening his jacket and tie before offering his hand to me I accepted and stepped out as well. The rocks crunched under my red suede pumps as I stood straight the red dress I wore was simple but accentuated my assets visually and along the lines of comfort appropriate for travel. A matching pillbox hat with a veil sat neatly on my curls. Floyd offered me his arm and I took it as we climbed the steps.

"Welcome to Blackwater station, Fancy Rae" Gummy mumbled. Floyd squeezed my hand gaining my attention.

"Might be a good idea if you stayed out here, sweetheart."

I nodded and loosened my grip on his arm as he walked into the station Gummy and his smug mug followed Floyd but remained on the inside of the door. I remained on the porch and turned around to admire the area. It was quiet, much different than what I had grown a costume to in Chicago I had forgotten what crickets and frogs had sounded like as they hummed in the distance. The sky was setting into a runny red and orange mixture it reflecting and twinkling off the river. Tears pricked with tears remembering the promise he made me '...I'm gonna open up a station right by the creek...' That was a promise he kept. The other about marriage seemed to have fallen short. I pressed my freshly painted lips tightly to hold back the depressing sigh that warned of escape along with the brewing tears.

A soft wind began to blow rough enough to billow my skirt slightly and blow up some dust but subtle enough for enjoyment. The smell of wild flowers lingered and I relaxed at their comforting scent.

I heard two sets of footsteps approach from inside and my heart raced my breathing became slightly labored as I attempted to look as calm as possible. Closing my eyes and lowering my head I focused on my breathing as the steps came closer.

"...She means the world to me and I'm entrusting you'll keep her safe" Floyds muffled voice was interrupted by the screen door opening. "Glad to see we have an understanding Mr. Bondurant."

I inhaled deeply to turn to the two men that waited and with a graceful placement of my foot I turned around and felt my breath hitch. Beside the sleek dressed Floyd Banner was him. A hat shaded most of his face but I could make out it was him. His blue green eyes flashed recognition for a moment before pulling back to unreadable depth. A cigar was pursed between his full lips and a golden stubble grew around his jaw and mouth. A cardigan encasing his thick muscled frame. With a deep reassuring breath I felt a small genuine smile pull at my lips as I offered a hand out.

"Hi Forrest."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for your comments! This is where I begin to lose my plan for the story and again I would really appreciate your ideas and thoughts.