The Woman in Red

Feelings and Shit

"Do you have to go so soon?" I whispered in Floyd's neck my voice shaky as I fought to keep my tears at bay. Forrest's welcome did not go as I was expecting at all and utterly led to my deflating enthusiasm, I didn't feel welcome here at all. After offering my hand he merely looked me up and down ,a flash of disgust washing over his face before a growl of some sort produced from the back of his throat and he walked back into the station.

"Sorry to say I do, dollface." he mumbled into my hair as he ran his hands up and down my back soothingly. Of course I had told Floyd of my life in Virginia but never gave such as personal information of names but based upon my eager willingness to come and my sudden emotional fall I was sure he was piecing it together. He pulled away slightly "I have to make it back into Chicago asap to try and handle this shit with Willie. I'll come and visit or hell at the least send Gummy."

I pulled away and looked up at him "How long do you think this is going to take?"

Floyd sighed ringing the brim of his cap in thought "Not sure sweetheart. 'slong as it takes to make you safe."

I released a deep sigh before placing my head in his chest again clutching onto him for affection and love seeing as I wouldn't be receiving any while I was at Blackwater station.

"Hey now how bout a kiss goodbye for sweet ole Floyd, huh?"

A soft chuckle escaped my lips before I leaned in my hands on his biceps and placed a strong, firm kiss on his lips.

"I'll be back as soon as I can, but I'll keep in touch promise." Floyd swore as he descended the steps backwards and placed his right hand to his heart. Gummy opened the door for him and Floyd disappeared into the vehicle behind the tinted glass. Gummy tipped his hat to me before he too disappeared into the car.

I crossed my arms under my breast and watched as they disappeared down the tree lined dirt road. Finally deciding I couldn't ignore the man inside any longer I entered back into the station and looked around. It was simple and empty and currently that's what I loved most about it. After deciding Forrest wasn't going to come find me and I sure as hell wasn't going to try and find him I climbed the stairs to the second floor and to the room Gummy had been instructed to place my things. It too was simple, a twin sized bed placed center of the back wall a dresser to the right of it a chiffarobe on the left wall and a wash basin on the right. Fresh sheets and a good thick quilt laid folded on top of the old box spring mattress I began there making the bed before unpacking.

I reached daddy's old suitcase and placed It on the bed and unclasped the locks. I retrieved the picture frame from inside and smiled slightly at the old yellowed picture. The only picture in existence of my family. We were dressed in our finest Sunday outings. Little Reba, barely a month old, was swaddled in a white blanket and bonnet her mouth full of her fingers as she lay on momma's lap propped against her arm. Momma's smile was breathtaking and full of love, love for life and her family. She looked so much younger than the last time I had seen her. Daddy had his permanent look of mischief behind his sly smile but clearly behind that mischief was pride. His black Irish characteristics stark against the white backdrop and then me. I stood centered behind momma and daddy my dark curls pulled to one shoulder and my face full of still crumbling childhood youth. I was young then, young and naïve. A happy family mere weeks before daddy died and my everything changed forever.

I placed the framed picture on the dresser and turned back to suitcase. A yelp escaped my lips as Forrest's body stood in the doorway. His eyes scanned over the room shielded under the shade his hat provided.

"See you made yourself at home." He spoke his voice gruff as he walked in and sat on the edge of the bed.

"Well" I wringed my hands together nervously "I tried to find you after Floyd left but couldn't and thoug-"

"Why'd you leave?" his question was simple and direct a hint of accusation lingering in the air as he looked up to meet my gaze for the first time.

"You know why I had to leave Forrest." I whispered and looked at the floor.

"No" he snapped. "Quite frankly I don't. You could have stayed here."

"I would have died had I stayed here" the unshed tears of the day were brimming threatening to break free. " I had to get out of here. I wouldn't have survived the first frost, I would have starved."

"You think I would have let that happen to you? Damn it Fancy how thick is your fucking skull?"

His harsh words, though probably deserved, were enough to push me over board the tears began to fall rapidly as I held a manicured hand over my mouth.

"But clearly you got what you wanted." He continued on. "Look at you, dressed to the nines and Fancy got herself a rich man now. How many times did he pay you to fuck him before you finally gave in to his lifestyle? Or is he still paying you hell I bet he is! I thought I knew you..."

"Forrest.." I choked. "Its me" I pleaded placing both hands on my chest. "Its your Fancy I haven't changed!"

Forrest stalked to me in two easy strides and placed both hands on either side of my head trapping me between him and the wood. "You ain't nothing of mine..."

I placed both hands on his chest and pushed him away enough to run out of the room. Halfway down the stairs I heard the screen door open and slam closed followed by a bellowing voice.

"Forrest! Where are ya brother?" I reached the final step and saw the tall 6 ft something giant with curly hair and bleary eyes. His gaze fell on me and a dumbstruck look fell over his face.

"Aw hell" he whispered "Fancy Rae!" his voice rang loud in my eyes before his arms gulped me up in one swift movement and held me to him swinging us around the room. A laugh emitted from my throat as he finally placed me back on my feet and cupped my face.

"Damn girl you're a sight for sore eyes! God girl I've missed you!"

"Hi Howard" I smiled at the oldest Bondurant my voice cracking slightly from my previous outburst.

"Hey now whats with the tears?" he asked as I heard Forrest's boots thud down the steps and Howards eyes flash over to them "I know my brother's one ugly motherfucker but that ain't no reason to cry."

I softly pushed Howard in the chest and laughed slightly "Its nothing I guess I just got a little emotional being back."

"Ah women with all your feelings and shit.." he mumbled pulling me back into his chest. Feelings and shit was right. I inhaled the deep stench of moonshine and sweat as I clutched his jacket as more tears threated to fall and grief took a cold grip on my heart. Poor Howard...the war had driven him to drink.

"Forrest you come didn't tell me we was housing Fancy Rae for Floyd Banner? Hell I would have made sure to freshen up and look presentable for my sweet Fancy"

Forrest leaned his thick strong arms against the rail of the stairs and looked at the two of us. With his hat removed I could fully appreciate the rugged beauty of the man I once loved. His hair was combed carefully and cut short on the sides. His eyes locked with mine a look of determination and ruthlessness mingling with the green and blue.

"I didn't know myself....."
♠ ♠ ♠
Slowly trying to piece this story together but I'm rather proud of how this one turned out for the idea to have come to me on a whim. I still would appreciate your thoughts on what you think or would like to see happen! Your feedback has been overwhelming and so inspiring!

REC, SUBSCRIBE, COMMENT!