The Woman in Red

White Lightning

The next morning I rose early and dressed in my simpler clothes and pulled my hair into a messy bun. The station was silent, not knowing what else to do I began cooking. Using what was in the meat box I had eggs scrambled, ham frying and biscuits browning in no time. A few locals were already seated and enjoying their breakfast, including Howard, when Forrest walked down the stairs. He looked around the station confused before heading to me, his face growing red. I sighed wiping my hands on the apron before pulling out a cigarette and lighting it praying that somewhere mixed with the tobacco was the strength to not let him make me cry.

He gripped my arm roughly startling me "What the hell do you think you are doing?"

Pulling the cigarette from my lips I answered "Doing my part." I blew the smoke to the side of us before continuing "I'm not going to live off of you Forrest. I may be a lot of things but a leech ain't one. Now, I woke up early and thought the best thing I could do was cook breakfast."

He tightened his grip lowering his face closer to mine "You ain't going to do anything around this station do you understand me?" his voice was dangerously low and his grip tight "You are not going to mess with my livelihood. You are not going to ruin what I've worked my whole god damn life to build."

Howard, sensing the trouble brewing, stood from his spot at the bar and walked around to us placing a hand on his brother's shoulder. The hate in Forrest's eyes was enough to break a wild stallion into a obedient, loyal hound.

"Come on now Forrest Fancy was just trying to help. Why don't you come on and sit down eat a bite? Shes a helluva cook."

"I don't give a fuck if she can cook or not." Forrest barked back at his brother before turning back to me. "You go up to your room if I need any god damn thing from you I'll tell you."

"Yes sir." I spoke smoothly before picking up the plate he had interrupted me making and shoved it into his stomach. "Enjoy and thank you so much for allowing me to stay with you I understand how big of a burden I am."

~*~*~*~

'he hates me. I can see it in his eyes, his posture. Words I never dreamed would leave his lips, directed to me at least, are nothing short of expected now. The hands I believed would only ever love and protect me hold my body his judgment the only thing keeping him from breaking me. As for now he chooses to shatter my foundation and watch my fall at his hands. He wants to be the reason I crumble..'

I lay the pen down and release a deep breath before folding the paper and placing it in the drawer of the dresser. Pulling my knees to my chest I stare out the window at the woods behind the station. Small yellow and white wild flowers dot the grass that leads to the dense woods, the wind swaying them in the breeze,

"I'll be god damned..." I hear. I turn my head and feel the smile tug at my lips. Standing in the doorway to my room is the youngest Bondurant. He's slender built with dark hair and a baby face. He's clutching a paper bag under his arm as he stares at me unbelievably.

"How you doin' Jack?" I asked softly. His smile brightens his grimy face as he walks in.

"Fine Fancy how'r you? Havent seen you in years!" he responds walking to me for a hug. I return it gratefully.

"Yes it has been a long time. Whatcha got there?" I question pointing to the bag.

"Oh!" he unfolds the lip of the bag and produces a mason jar of liquid. "Cricket Pate and I are trying to whip up our own moonshine. Go on have a taste!"

I eye him nervously before twisting the top off and taking a gulp. I immediately began coughing as the liquid fire burns down into my empty belly.

"Is it bad?" Jack asks sheepishly.

"No, no" I cough "Just.. just strong."

"God damn it Jack. What you doing giving Fancy that horse piss for? I could hear her coughing and hagging from downstairs" Howard appears in the doorway and rushes in grabbing the jar and closing the lid on it before throwing it back in the bag wrapping an arm around me he pulls me up and ushers me out the door.

"You wanted some shine all you had to do was tell me." Howard mumbled appearing out of the station with a crate full of white lightning. I reposition myself on the rocking chair and thank him as he hands me a jar. The gulp of this moonshine is much better than Jack's I was said to say.

"You ok?" Howard questions my silence.

"Just worried Jack's moonshine might make me go blind. Just making sure I can soak in everything before it all goes black." Howard and his friend Danny both throw their heads back in deep howls of laughter as Jack emerged from the station.

"Whats so funny?" he asks.

"Nothing baby brother nothing." Howard chuckles as he takes another gulp of shine and Jack takes a seat at my feet.

I spend the rest of the night with Danny, Jack and Howard listening to their tales and retelling a few of my own that were worth telling. We were all laughing of a story Howard was telling about his platoon when out of the corner of my eye I noticed Forrest lurking in the shadow of the screen door. His face was grim as he looked out at us, unaware of my gaze upon him. I turned and looked back at the group as I lit another cigarette.
♠ ♠ ♠
COMMENT WITH THOUGHTS, REC AND SUBSCRIBE!!