The Woman in Red

Tumor and a Fever

The birds chirped happily in the breaking sun as the sound of bouncing tires and screeching brakes. I curled further into the blanket attempting to block out the intruding noise I was far too exhausted to deal with anything at the moment. Footsteps sounded on the ground before echoing onto the porch.

Surely my mind was playing tricks on me, no one would intentionally arrive here. The cabin was all that was in this area for at least a mile. Noticing the footsteps had silenced I decided the person of question had realized their mistake and had left without me apprehending. I pulled the quilt higher up my neck to fight off the shrill morning breeze and had begun to doze off when I felt fingers trace down my cheek. My eyes pryed open gently and met the familiar hazel green orbs. They were shiny with concern, an emotion that had avoided his form for some time it seemed.

He called out to me but his voice seemed distant and far off I just blinked and closed my eyes again curling further into the blanket in attempt to block out the world and shrivel back into my world of darkness. I made out grunt from my left before I felt my body be lifted from the dusty floor. With the quilt still wrapped around me Forrest carried me to the truck and placed me gently on the seat. I pried my eyes open as my head rested on the door. In the daytime light the two gravestones were obvious and I felt a twinge in my heart.

“Bye Momma” I whispered barely audible as Forrest threw the truck into gear. Moments passed in complete silence.

“Momma’s dead” I whimpered glancing over at him from under my eyelashes.

“Yeah” Forrest voice was a low grumble as he did everything he could to avoid looking at me, seeimg to be at a loss for words so saying as little as possible to be safe. “She passed off in the Spring the year you left.”

I tried to hide the flinch the racked through my body at this fact. It was my fault I had left her there alone. Alone, scared and sick.

“And Reba?” my voice squeaked.

“A service took her, adopted her off to a good family bout a month after you.” He nodded.

“How did she-“

“Tumor.” He answered simply casting a quick glance to the rearview mirror. “Ma and Daddy went to check in on her after they took Reba and said she was real thin skin and bones ‘sept for her stomach. Was huge like a big ole balloon was under her shirt. They-“

Forrest stopped short glancing back at me and seeing my shaking shoulders the silent sobs the cause. His tone changed to a more comforting subtle manner.

“They was with her when she passed. Them and the preacher prayed over her as she went said it was real peaceful.”

“I never thought she died. I mean I guess I knew but didn’t want to accept it, ya know? Trying to keep myself in the dark.” I rambled before whispering and staring out at the passing scenery “Ignorance is bliss.”

When in Chicago I tried to not give much thought to my past in Franklin feeling it would distract me from my future having me wallow in self-pity. I had convinced myself momma had taken Reba back to the reservation to live with the rest of her people. Sure it wasn’t the best but at least it was something.

“You had bigger things going on Fancy” his tone was comforting and calm but the statement hit my hard. What could possibly be bigger in life than your mother dying without any of her family around her?

I shuddered a breath before coughing “I was just trying to keep myself from going into the ground with her.”

The rest of the drive was silent before we arrived back at the station. It seemed dead no sign of life not even Howard or Jack. As Forrest put the truck in park he walked around to my side to help me. I caught sight of my reflection and nearly yelped in surprise. My skin was pale and chalky stark against my limp curls and dark half-moons stained the skin below my eyes.

Forrest helped me up the steps my ankle still swollen and a nasty purple color mixed with the dried blood that had caked around the area. I didn’t question his sudden generosity. I bathed and changed into a clean nightgown and went to my room falling into bed with a sigh. My body ached terribly as I shifted my position and Forrest entered the room with medical supplies before sitting at the foot of the bed. He silently began to wrap my ankle.

“Thank you” I whispered as he finished .
He grumbled in response collecting the supplies back into the box. I watched him closely silently begging him to say something.

“You know we should probably talk about all this don’t you?” I strangled out my throat constricting as a cough raked my form. My eyes clenched shut and I covered my mouth as a scratchy cough crackled to life. Forrest didn’t say anything instead stood, placing the supplies on my nightstand and placing his large hand on my forehead before placing both on my cheeks.

“You’re running a fever.” He concluded before standing straight. “Stay in bed don’t get up for anything. Ill go bring a doctor.”

I watched as he drew the curtains to the room before closing the door as he left. I sighed falling back into the pillow before sleep finally overcame me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment, rec, subscribe!

Well as only my third day of senior year I'm already facing the worst week of my life. I lost my job at an aftercare where I had kept children for almost 4 years and they had grown to be a huge part of my life and even bigger piece of my heart. I also ended up in detention for the first time for helping a girl spell a word she needed to know for a test. So needless to say I'm a little down in the dumps yalls comments mean the world to me and would most definitely lift my spirits!!