Status: just posting this here to see what happens ~

Of the Night

If Alien Abduction Were A Possibility...

“Elena, hurry up! Rebekah’s threatening to leave you here if you don’t get your ass in gear!” Caroline’s lovely voice, albeit nasally, drifted up the staircase and into my bedroom, where I stood applying some make-up and giving myself one last once-over before leaving for school. The forecast was supposed to be hot and sunny and I dealt with it by wearing a sleeveless collared shirt tucked into navy shorts, my hair thrown up into a bun. I always found Monday mornings to be particularly harsh, so I tried a little harder than usual.

“I’m coming! Haven’t you ever heard of a little patience?” I stomped down the stairs extra loud, taking care not to hit the weak step too hard. Mondays sucked, but broken necks sucked infinitely worse. I raised an eyebrow at Caroline once I hit the landing. “Maybe some compassion? Or possibly, I don’t know, both?”

“You’re hilarious,” Caroline said flatly, a small smile fighting to break her annoyed expression.

I grinned. “Aw thanks, Care. I can feel the love and support.”

Outside, a car horn beeped five times in rapid succession, meaning Rebekah was growing increasingly irritated. Caroline might’ve been joking, but I knew that Rebekah actually would leave me here if I made her wait too long.

“Bye Mom, Dad!” I called up the stairs, and heard muffled, sleepy shouts of farewell back. My parents were not morning people, and had the luxury of being able to sleep in most weekdays. That’s what happened when two trust fund babies decided to procreate and retire in their forties.

Caroline and I legged it to Rebekah’s car, which was in the process of pulling out the driveway.

“Jesus Christ,” I muttered, hopping into the backseat and throwing my bag across the seat. I glared at Rebekah’s headrest.

“Why do you take so bloody long?” Rebekah’s family originated in England, though she herself had lived in Mystic Falls for well over ten years. Her accent itself had become a little watered down, but she never dropped any of the colloquialisms. It was a little jarring at first, meeting someone like Rebekah in a little town like Mystic Falls, but you soon learned to embrace it with open arms.

“Why are you so bloody impatient?” I mocked, my voice throwing a poor imitation of Rebekah’s posh one. “Would it have killed you to wait an extra two minutes?”

She twisted around in her seat to look at me, leveling me with a flat look. “Yes. It would have.”

I rolled my eyes. “Stop being so melodramatic.” Rebekah only scoffed in reply. The car fell into silence for an entire three minutes before Caroline snorted, sounding fantastically like a dying donkey, setting all of us off in turn. Laughter bounced around the car.

I wiped a tear from my eye, one of my hands clutching my stomach. “Every morning this happens,” I said, “and we never learn. Ever.”

Caroline turned and smirked. “I think it’s pretty fun to watch, if you ask me.”

In unison, both Rebekah and I said, “No one asked you.”

“Did either of you see Jeremy leave the house when you got there?” I asked, realizing belatedly that I hadn’t checked to see if he was awake before I left. Jeremy, in all of his fifteen-year-old glory, slept heavier than a log. I was 100% sure that he actually fell into a coma every time he went to sleep, and waking him before he was ready resulted in brain damage.

“He mumbled a hello to me before hopping into a car with that Anna girl and her older brother. Are they a thing now or what?”

I shrugged. “No clue. You try getting something out of Jeremy when he doesn’t want to talk about it.” Jeremy had been hanging out with Anna more and more lately, and while he maintained they were just friends, one glance at Anna and you could tell that she was smitten. It was revoltingly cute and made me want to smack some sense into his little peanut brain.

“Threaten to destroy his Xbox unless he spills all his secrets,” Rebekah suggested casually. “Works on Klaus whenever I need something from him. And Damon, to an extent.” Rebekah was the better Mikaelson because she had her older brother eating out of the palm of her hand. The tables were turned in the loveliest way.

Mystic Falls High turned up on the left side of the road and Rebekah pulled in, snagging the good parking space next to the campus green and only a few feet away from the main entrance. Nothing was worse than having to walk across a hot and crowded parking lot after a long day.

I stepped out of the car, slinging my bag onto my shoulder. As I turned to shut the car door, a shadow engulfed me and I briefly wondered if maybe a UFO had passed over the sun and the human race was going to be abducted by prodding aliens, until a deep voice spoke.

“Good morning to you, Gilbert.”

Okay, so maybe there was something worse than getting abducted by aliens.
♠ ♠ ♠
:)