Chin Up, Sunshine.

i close my eyes and take a breath real slow.

“Autumn, get up you loser. We have the studio today.” I yawn, nodding as I rub the sleep from my eyes before I grab the notepad on my bedside table to jot down the lyrics from my dream.

“What time is it?” My groggy voice asks. Kayden grabs his phone from his back pocket, before announcing I had twenty minutes to get ready.

I grab my phone off the charger as he leaves, plugging it into my music dock. I press shuffle before slipping on a Neck Deep shirt I’m pretty sure was Zach’s and a pair of black skinny jeans.

“A withered past and a blurry future,
My hearts on an auction,
It goes out to the highest bid.”


I nod my head to the beat as I brush my teeth and slap on some makeup.

“I live too fast, and I know I will lose her,
But there is an option, to die is to live in her head.
So I'll hang on, never let go.
I dug this pain into my chest.”


Humming along quietly, I gather everything I would need for our session in the recording studio. Since instruments were already provided at the studio, all I really needed was my notepad with our lyrics and my lucky pick. It was the same pick I had gotten when I first picked up the guitar when I was fourteen. The same pick one of my favorite guitarists, Philip Manansala had signed when I had gone to Warped Tour in 2012.

Every show I had played with that pick had gone wonderfully, while the ones I had played without it hadn’t done nearly as well. So the band and I naturally deemed it my lucky pick and I refused to play a show without it.

“Autumn, hurry up!” I snap out of my thoughts, taking my phone off the dock and tossing it in my bag.

I speed out the door, nearly crashing into Zach. While Dylan lived with his girlfriend a few minutes down the road, Zach and Kayden shared the second bedroom in the apartment. They figured that I would need more space considering I was a girl, and for once I didn’t mind their slightly sexist views.

“Woah, slow down there killer.” I chuckle nervously, bouncing on my heels. I was just ready to record already.

“Dylan is gonna meet up with us there. We’re just waiting on Kayden to get down here.”

“Speak of the devil,” I chime, smiling as Kayden rushes out of their room, jacket in hand.

“Sorry, I stayed up late talking to Chrissy.” Zach and I share a look.

“Chrissy?” We ask in unison, arching our eyebrows.

He blushes slightly as we make our way to the downstairs lobby.

“Just a girl I met at the Springston gig.”

“What’s she like?” I sing-song, stopping to check our little mailbox before leading them out of the revolving doors.

“She’s amazing. She’s feisty, and she’s brave, and don’t even get me started on how hot she is.” He sighs happily as he climbs into the back of our van.

“She’s just...amazing.”

I giggle quietly as I lean forward in the passenger seat to change the radio to a heavier station.

“Sounds like you really like this Chrissy chick. So when are we gonna meet her?” Kayden pales as if we had just pushed him in front of a firing squad.

“I’m planning on stalling that as long as possible.”

“And why’s that?” Zach asks, looking over his shoulder as he reverses out onto the street.

“Because you guys are embarrassing. You’ll just bring up every stupid thing I’ve ever done and then she’ll never want to date me.”

Zach breaks out into a fit of laughter and I have to join in. Zach’s laugh is just one of those laughs that makes you start giggling as well.

“I’m sorry,” he apologizes as we stop at a red light, “it’s just that you sound disturbingly close to a teenager girl right now. We won’t fuck your relationship that much.”

“No promises,” I murmur, my nose crinkling as I smile.

Kayden groans before collapsing dramatically into his seat. “Just drive to the damn place already.”
♠ ♠ ♠
comments are really appreciated! thanks for reading! :))