Chin Up, Sunshine.

the consequence is if i leave i'm alone.

“Alright, let’s try going over that second verse again.” I sigh, frustrated as I try again to get the stupid riff right. I just wasn’t doing very well today.

My fingers move along the fret swiftly and I smile with satisfaction as Dylan gives me a thumbs up from outside the recording booth.

I play the rest of the song perfectly and the band erupts in cheers after we quit recording.

“Sweet!” Our producer, George, congratulates before herding the boys out. “We just need you to go over the clean vocals for Whole. Since we’ve got the instrumentals we can play that track for you as you sing?”

I nod in answer, taking a long gulp of water. “Let’s do it.”

I gather every memory of anger in my life and gear it towards this song.

I take a deep breath as I count the beats before I come in.

“Let it out.
Tell me what you want me to hear.
Push it out.
Tell me that you still want me here.”


This song required so much emotion. It was written when the band as a whole was at a pretty dark time in our lives. We were so close that that happened - when one of us got in a shitty mood, we all get in a shitty mood.

“Deep inside this hole,
I will offer you my soul.
Waiting, hoping with each breath
That you will leave it in my chest.”


I hear my guitar track I had recorded earlier this morning come in and smile.

“Lie to me.
Make me see.
Deep inside this hole,
I will offer you my soul.
Waiting, hoping with each breath
That you will leave it in my chest.”


I lick my lips before singing the final verse, trying to put all of my soul into it.

“Lie to me.
Make me see.”


~~~~~~

“You want a shot, Aut?” I shake my head no, holding up my Diet Coke in answer.

“I’m all set. Thanks though, Kaydes.”

Katelynn, Dylan’s girlfriend, tilts her head to the side, confused as I refuse the alcohol.

“Why don’t you drink?” She isn’t the first to ask, and she probably won’t be the last.

“I like to be in control of my body. Drinking takes that away from me.”

And I’m afraid of what too much of it would make me do. I silently add, cringing.

“Hey, ladies. Can I buy you a drink?” A guy who looked to be about twenty five asks. He was cute, I’ll give him that. Blonde hair, blue eyes. A bit too preppy for my taste, but still.

“I’m fine,” Katelynn and I chime in unison, giggling.

“No, I insist.” He moves closer to me and I lean away from him.

Dylan walks up at this moment, slinging his arm around Kate’s shoulders.

“Hey, babe. You having fun? I - oh. Hey.” He says, noticing the stranger that was uncomfortably close to me.

“You banging both of these chicks? Nice.” The guy asks brazenly, making my draw drop.

“Excuse me?” Is my outraged reply. I stand up from the barstool.

“Oh,” he says, cutting an admiring look at a stunned Dylan, “this one has fight in her. Nice.”

And that’s when I swing my rather small fist at him. It collides easily with his jaw and I smile in satisfaction as I hear a small crack! I ignore the pain as he clutches his hand to his cheek, looking pissed.

He raises his hand, open palmed like he’s fixing to slap me and I flinch. I wait for the hit to arrive, but it doesn’t.

“I would suggest you not do that.”

The bartender, Luke, threatens. He was a pretty close friend. He was hot too, what with his baby blues and tatted arms. Not to mention his lip ring. Talk about yummy.

“Really? Why not? What are you gonna do about it?”

Luke shrugs, looking as casual as ever.

“This,” he waves forward the bouncer, David. We visited this bar often after shows, so we pretty much know everyone here.

The douche is kindly escorted out. Everyone pretty much ignores the harsh way David elbows him in the ribs on the way out.

I turn my attention to Luke, dramatically clutching my hand over my heart as I lean against the bar top.

“Oh, my hero!” I exclaim, using my southern belle voice.

he laughs before replying in an equally ridiculous voice, “Anytime, my lady.”