Status: Chuggin' along. P.S, comments make mama happy.

Summer Has Come and Passed

FOURTEEN

Kris had decided that she'd lock up the coffee shop, she was lying of course because her and I had spent about another hour or so just talking. It was almost as if she and I had been friends for years rather than just meeting each other an hour or so ago. That day I had basically spilled my guts out to her, leaving out certain details. Mainly pertaining to Billie.

I had spewed out what I had been feeling recently and Kris summed it up that I was basically homesick and needed a break from the big city and soak up some sun down back in California. I remembered I had laughed aloud at this, I was in no way financially able to just pack up and head home for a visit.

However, just a couple weeks afterward--almost a month, looking into my savings account, I realized I had accumulated a nice chunk of change. Enough change that I could buy myself a plane ticket for Oakland along with a little bit of money to spare. I decided that now would be a nice time to take some well deserved time from school. It was just the first week into January.

However, I decided to just take off from the cold and return back to school when the temperature wasn't biting cold. It was just for a little while, and I had truly missed home along with my friends and my mom.

So, here I was, at the airport. I had told Ashley about my little trip home and I wasn't even allowed to leave the dorm until I agreed that I would keep in contact by either phone or email. I was sure to miss Ashley's wild antics while I was gone.

"Flight 2980 to California is now boarding at gate 13. All passengers who are flying to California on flight 2980 please proceed to gate 13 for boarding." A male voice instructed loudly over the tannoy, which were located almost everywhere in the airport.

I wrapped my fingers around the handle of my rolling bag as I started to proceed to the forming line in front of the gate. I rose on my tip toes just a bit to look over the heads of the people in front of me. I could visibly see the tired looking air hostess at the front of the line as she greeted each person with the same fake smile.

Wheelchairs, toddlers and or infant filled buggies all went to the front of the line. I could hear grumbles come from the others in line.

"Please keep the line moving." A husky set man with chocolate like curls sticking out from underneath his uniform hat had instructed everyone to do so. He murmured thank you's as each passenger handed him their ticket. It was the same thing with me once I made it to the front and handed over my own ticket. Before I entered the gate, out the corner of my eye, I witnessed the same husky man have his foot run over by a pink rolling bag belonging to a little girl. I giggled to myself as I entered the gate, boarding the plane.

I settled myself down in my assigned seat, which was thankfully by the window, after I had stuffed my luggage in the space above my head. I had noticed that the other two seats beside me were empty. Hoping that today would be my lucky day and neither person would show up, allowing me to have silence and solitude on the upcoming 6 hour flight.

I shuddered at the thought of being squished by utter strangers.

"May I please have your attention," A female voice spoke up. I rose out of my seat just a little and was able to see two air hostess' at the front of the plane, a man and woman. "We'd like to go over the safety and emergency procedures for this flight."

I zoned out completely during their demonstration, having been on planes many times before. A few moments before what I guessed would be take-off, another body was seated beside me. We then began our last moments on the run way, accelerating with top speed. I heard the gasps of various children as we shot into the air. I pressed my face against the window beside me, marveling at the sight on the other side of the glass.

Everything was becoming smaller and smaller, the Air Traffic Controllers down below now looked like ants. Soon enough, they were no longer visible as we took higher into the sky, becoming surrounded by fluffy white clouds. Out of the corner of my eye I could see the man beside me leaning in closer to look out of the window himself. I leaned myself back into my chair to allow him to do so.

It was then, at such close contact, I was able to appreciate how good looking the guy beside me was.

His pale face was contrasted by the dark shaggy hair on top of his head. It was sort of a messy-yet-still-appealing sort of thing, sort of grunge-y type look. His eyes shifted, watching everything on the other side of the window carefully. His eyes weren't the most exotic color, they were a dark brown, but had just a dash of hazel in small flecks.

"Killer view, eh," he said, and I was shocked for a moment by the Irish accent that followed his words. "Name's Paul."

I grabbed hold of his hand when he extended it out toward me, and shook it. "Vienna," I said. "And yeah it is a great view."

"I myself don't fly that often," he admitted. "But I reckon I've got to now seeing that my mum's sick 'n all."

"I'm sorry," I mumbled, he flashed a reassuring smile at me and waved it off. "I'm just going for a visit myself as well."

I thought I'd at least share that bit of information with him since he had opened up to me.

"Ah," he nodded with a grin. "A special fella waitin' for ya?"

I smiled warmly and shook my head. "No, no guy," I said. "Family and friends."

"Gonna party, eh?" He said with a grin and I chuckled.

"It's only right as a college kid that I do."

"Ah, college lady, " He nodded. "If ya don't mind my askin--what college?"

"University of New York," I stated. "I'm a sophomore."

"Why you're still a baby, love." He grinned and I rolled my eyes. This guy right here was lucky he was cute.

"Hardly," I scoffed. "Anybody waitin' for you when we land--besides your mother?"

He shook his head. "Not here, but when I get back home, yea," He admitted with a smile creeping its way onto his face. "Cecilia--she's a fine bit of stuff she is."

I had an inkling that someone as good looking as him would have someone on his arm. "She's a lucky lady." I genuinely complimented.

"Nah," he disagreed shaking his head. "I'm the lucky one." He smiled.

The remainder of the plane ride was incredibly pleasant. Paul let me in on his plans for his lady when he had gotten back home. He was planning on popping the big question. Since it was a pretty lengthy plane ride, I took a nap here and there, Paul being a complete sweetheart allowed me to use his shoulder as a pillow, he only laughed when I gave him a pre-apology if I so happened to drool.

I didn't even eat the entire plane ride, unless you want to count stale nuts as a 'food' then there's that. I was too excited, or nervous, both feelings sort of intertwined with each other.

Soon enough, after the 5th hour, the plane ride was over. I had been awake the whole time, whereas Paul was completely out for the count on my shoulder. After I shook him awake he and I grabbed our luggage and belongings from overhead. Well, actually he grabbed them.("Oi, whattaya have in there--bricks?").

He and I exited from the plane along with the others and exited from the tunnel and entered into Oakland International Airport. The place was filled, even at this hour; it was 10:00pm. We exchanged hugs and soon parted ways. I had a death-grip on my luggage as I wheeled it outside. The humid California air outside was so welcoming it felt as if I had never left home.

But I knew that wasn't the case at all. I hadn't been home for a year and that well known fact had just dropped to the pit of my stomach.

I hadn't been home in a year. So much could change in a year and that scared me. I caught the attention of one of the many cabbies outside the airport, I informed him to pop the trunk so I could toss my things inside but he insisted he do it himself. I shrugged and slid myself into the backseat of the cab as the realization that I was actually back home hit me once the door shut closed.

There was no turning back.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm trash, this is hopefully not trash. I edited this while my ovaries were basically trying to kill me.
Fab right?
I'm currently listening to the Jonas Brothers. I remember when I was so thirsty for the D.