Status: Chuggin' along. P.S, comments make mama happy.

Summer Has Come and Passed

NINE

As a kid, birthdays are usually one of the most important holidays to you. Even though it's not really a holiday, but when you're a little kid you don't know that. All you do know is that you're freaking excited that it's your birthday. You'd wake up absolutely full of energy, bouncing around, probably bursting into your parents room, mauling them with endless questions of what they had planned for you.

Expecting everything to go as planned, not wanting a single thing out of order, every present you thought up to be given to you that day. Then you'd end the night--probably exhausted-- and lie in your bed replaying over the day again and again until you dozed off, thinking how much your next birthday was gonna rule.

However, today on my 18th birthday I woke up like I usually did. Cracking my eyelids open, grumbling incoherently as I rolled around in my bed, trying to wake the rest of my body up. I leaned myself up on my elbows as I touched my hand to my hair, trying to smooth out the knots and tangles from my wild sleeping. My mouth opened to let out a loud drawn out yawn, as soon as I had made the mental note that I needed to get up and immediately brush my teeth, a knock came from my door and my mom's famous blond curls poked into the room.

Smiling at the fact I was awake, she crossed over the room and sat at the edge of my bed. I set my back against my headboard and eyed my mother's hands as a medium sized box came into view, topped off with a cute red bow I might add. She placed it right in my hands and I wasted no time flipping open the box, my eyes locked onto the beautiful silver charm bracelet placed inside.

Charms which my mother more than likely spent meticulous time picking out, on it there was a tiny bow the color of my birthstone-- Peridot, a heart, a bear, and lastly the number 18. It was breathtaking.

I outstretched my arms to her. "It's so gorgeous, ma. I love it--thank you." I said hugging her.

"You're more than welcome honey." She beamed, smiling at me when we pulled away.

"Can you--?" I motioned toward the bracelet.

She smiled, the crinkles around her eyes showing. "Sure thing," She unclasped the bracelet and hung it from my wrist, clasping it, locking it in place, she nearly gushed once I raised my arm in the air, the charms dangling. "It looks great on you."

I grinned at her and my new bracelet.

"So," She spoke up a moment later. "What're your plans for today? The big one-eight."

"Me?" I asked. "I thought you would've had something cooked up."

"Me?" She mocked with a laugh. "I thought you would've had a whole day planned out."

I shook my head. "I didn't plan a thing," I said. "It's kind of a typical day today."

"That doesn't sound like the normal teenage thing to do."

"You didn't raise an average teen." I said with a chuckle.

She smiled and patted my hand. "I know honey," she said, pulling me into another hug. "I know."

"Mom," I said. "You're acting menopause-y."

We laughed and she let me go, standing to her feet she mentioned how she would make me a special breakfast this morning, she left uttering an 'I love you' as always.

I set my empty box on my nightstand and stood to my feet opening up my window, sticking my head outside, wondering what the day might bring.

Image


I was seated at my computer hitting my keys as I typed out a responding email to my older sister--Gloria--who had emailed me telling me how sorry she was she couldn't be with me today for my birthday. She was away at college in Michigan; it would be her last year in the fall. I was telling her how it was no big deal and how I couldn't wait to see her when the time came.

I soon finished up my email, hit send, and turned off my computer. Soon after that, my telephone rang and I picked up and heard the loud and cheery greeting by none other than Jade, I could also hear Mike grumble a hello to me as well. I laughed into the phone when Jade cursed at Mike for his piss-poor greeting.

"--He's such an old man I swear," She said. "It's like dating a grandpa."

"Mm," I chuckle. "Sexy."

"You're sick." She said laughing.

I shrugged, even though she obviously couldn't see me. "Being sick helps me past the time."

"Ooh!" she chirped. "Speaking of passing some time--today is the 29th--August 29th."

I rolled my eyes. "I know that Jade."

"It's your birthday."

"I know that too, Jade"

"Weeell," she droned on. "I bet you didn't know that I, along with Lisa 'n Mike and the others have got something planned for you today m'lady."

"Which is?" I inquired.

"I'm not tellin' you that."

"I hate not knowing things" I groaned, falling flat on my bed.

"Well that must suck for you 'cuz knowledge is power." she said.

I snorted. "You sound like one of those PSA's."

"Never mind all that," she said dismissing what I said. "It's your birthday and--"

"And," I interrupted. "I know where you're going with this, Jay. And no, whatever you have planned--cancel it. I don't wanna get into one of your hair brained schemes today."

"Oh c'mon," she whined. "It's your birthday; you're supposed to be cheery. Birthday girls are supposed to be cheery."

"I am cheery."

She snorted in response.

"And I really just wanna play it cool today, I don't wanna do anything."

"This isn't about what you want!" she interjected wildly.

I laughed. "But it's my birthday--you said so yourself."

"Shut your gob, you know what I meant."

"Jay," I said. "I really don't wanna--"

She quickly interjected. "I don't care. You're having fun with us. That's that." she hung up the phone.

I paused for a moment but then simply chuckled and set my phone back down on the receiver.

After that, I got what seemed like a bajillion more phone calls, all happy birthday wishes and each call seeming longer than the last. Just when I had laid back in my bed, my phone rang again, I stuck my hand out to pick up the phone, and answered with just slightest bit of irritation.

You'd be annoyed or irritated too if your phone rang every 5 minutes.

"Hello?" I grumbled out, wondering what relative or acquaintance it could be this time.

"Hello lovely," A familiar voice said melodically. "Happy Birthday, baby."

I clutched the phone tighter in my hand, grinning ear to ear. "Thank you."

"I'm sorry I gotta make this call kinda short, but, Mike ‘n me are kinda in the middle of band practice." He said.

"Band practice?" I squealed. "You found a drummer?"

He chuckled. "Possibly."

"Oh that's amazing as hell, babe," I beamed. "Where are you guys?"

"We're at Jade's."

"Really? I just talked to her not too long ago."

"Hm," he hummed. "Well, I just got here not too long ago myself."

"Oh," I said. "Well, you boys have and--"

"Wanna see us practice with the newbie?" he interjected, cutting off my almost goodbye.

"I don't think I'm really needed there, BeeJ."

"I want you here. Fuck what the guys think."

I chuckled and after a moment blew out a breath, smiling. "Fine." I agreed.

We said goodbye and hung-up and I stood up from my bed, dragging my feet to my closet prying it open, starting my search for an outfit.
♠ ♠ ♠
And the partay begins.