Falling Out

Prologue

I stared at a girl on the other side of thick glass in the hospital. She was curled up in her bed and was heavily sedated, allowing her to sleep. From what she has been through, she needed it.

“She’s been living with Jim and Carol, her aunt and uncle, for 10 years. For that 10 year duration they have been abusing her. She has a concussion and she can’t see out of her left eye and her right ear drum burst, all which could have lasting damage. She has three broken ribs and internal bleeding. She has multiple bruises on her legs, arms, and stomach. She has multiple scars on her back from previous abuse as well as lacerations along her face and arms, some that look to be self-infli-”

“How come I am finding out about her now? Why not 10 years ago when her mother died?” I interrupted her. I couldn’t take my eyes off of the girl that was lying in the hospital bed.

“When her mother died from breast cancer she left in her will that Jim and Carol would have custody of her. Amanda did not want anyone to know that you had a daughter fearing that it would ruin your image and career.” I shook my head.

“Amanda...” I whispered, angry.

“Since she will be 18 in several months and her aunt and uncle are in prison now, we thought it would be better for her to be with you instead of the system. She’s been through a lot and we thought that family would be a better choi-”

“Of course I will take her. But I am as much of her family as you are.” Dr. Chesser sighed.

“She has been through a lot. We need to keep her for another night for observation but she should be ready to leave tomorrow afternoon. I should have seen this happening. I’ve been her aunt and uncle’s neighbor for years now and I have never noticed the abuse that they were doing to Amber. I’m sorry. ” I simply nodded and she walked away. I continued to stare at her at the crumpled mess in front of me. She was my daughter.