Status: finished

Love is a Dangerous Thing

10

Tomorrow was the big day and Zack couldn't have been more anxious if he tried, adding to his nerves was Alex's never quiet phone that had been vibrating constantly for the past two days. It would have been annoying in any situation but when he was already freaking out about going out tomorrow it was the most frustrating thing in the world. All he wanted was Alex to pick up the stupid phone so he could worry in silence but that didn't seem like something that was going to happen.

They were supposed to be eating lunch but in reality Zack was staring at half a sandwich and occasionally eating some of his chips while Alex typed faster than anyone Zack had ever seen. Evidently the elder's boss was upset because he'd been turning his column in at the last minute too often. Through all this Alex's phone vibrated sporadically, first for a call then a voicemail then there'd be a break for maybe a few minutes tops and then the whole routine started again.

"Alex," Zack finally whined quietly. "Can't you just answer?"

Alex glared over the top of his computer screen, "no and no matter how many times you ask I'm not going to, so maybe you should stop asking."

"Can you just turn it off?" He mumbled, opening his sandwich and picking at the insides. "It's annoying."

"I know, but I have to keep it on," Alex explained for the millionth time with a softer tone. "Right now it's nothing important but I have to keep it on in case my boss calls just try to ignore it."

"Fine."

Zack got up and threw his sandwich away walking back to his bedroom to lay down. He was really worried about how the next day was going to play out, he'd already tried on his clothes to see how he'd look. It wasn't as bad as he had imagined but it wasn't good, he'd put on just a little bit of weight so that his pants, with a lot of help from a belt, would actually stay up and his long sleeve flannel didn't just hang off him. All in all it could have been much worse, he looked weird but he didn't look like he was dying anymore.

There wasn't much for him to do when Alex was busy so he just went to sleep, something he did well.

"Zacky." Zack blinked his eyes open to look at Alex who had an anxious expression that he didn't like at all.

"What's wrong?" He sat up slightly propping himself on his forearms.

"Nothing, well something, it's not really a big deal," Alex stalled."I have to go in to work later though."

Zack felt his face collapse at that because things hadn't gone so well for him last time he was alone. Things never went well for him when he was alone, that was something he was starting to realize.

"I can wait until after you go to sleep though and it won't even be a big deal. I promise I'll be here when you wake up, okay? Don't freak out."

"You'll stay until I go to sleep?" Zack asked, hating how childish he sounded.

"Yeah, I'll stay until you fall asleep and I'll come back as fast as I can, it'll be like I was never gone," Alex promised. "We have a big day tomorrow, I have to be home when you wake up, right?"

"Yeah," Zack sighed, falling back against his pillow. "What's the emergency?" He waited for a while and then frowned looking up at Alex expectantly. "What's the emergency?"

"It's just work stuff." Zack frowned again raising an eyebrow at the vague explanation but instead of explaining further Alex got up to leave. "You slept a long time, it's almost dinner. Don't sleep too much longer, okay?"

"Okay," he agreed, Alex acted weird but he was too nervous to worry too much about that.

The day passed on like it usually did Alex seemed a little stressed and Zack was stressed so he stayed out of the other's way. Mostly he just stared out his window and watched the few people on the street outside, paying attention to what they did and trying to decide if he could do the same things tomorrow. He wasn't going to back out of his decision, he was sure of that much but whether or not that would be a good thing he wasn't sure. Finally when he was all thought out he went out to the kitchen and stood quietly while Alex made dinner.

"Feeling alright Zack?" Alex asked when he noticed his presence.

"Yeah, are you?"

"Yeah."

Zack had a strong gut feeling they were both lying and he knew why he was but he couldn't figure out why Alex would be and it was starting to bother him. He still didn't really understand what kind of emergency there could be that required Alex to go in to work that late. He'd also never held a job a day in his life though so he felt like he probably didn't have too great an idea as to what actually happened at work. Still, Alex wrote a column for a newspaper, the worst he figured could happen was Alex writing something his boss didn't like and having to redo it but even then he could do that from home.

"Hey Alex," he said suddenly before he could even register why he was saying anything. "What's the emergency?"

"Work stuff, don't worry about it," Alex replied keeping his eyes on the stove.

"Like what kind of stuff?"

"Zack," Alex turned around this time, his gaze less than friendly. "It's stuff you wouldn't understand, stop thinking about it."

Zack stared at the ground, his face a deep shade of red, he didn't understand why Alex was being so mean. He was excited and happy about everything the first day but now he was just grumpy and worried all the time. It didn't make sense and it was sort of freaking Zack out because maybe Alex was regretting his choice. He tried to tell himself the older boy was just stressed about work but that didn't seem right, he was never stressed about work before.

"Hey Alex," he repeated, wincing slightly at Alex's irritated groan. "Did I do something wrong?"

"No, Zack, everything's fine, I just have to go in to work tonight it's not a big deal."

"Yeah, but you're kinda acting weird," Zack said quietly as if he thought Alex would yell at him if he spoke any louder which he sort of did. "And you're not really telling me anything."

"There's nothing to tell you," Alex snapped. "You wouldn't understand anyways."

"I'm not stupid," Zack mumbled. "I can understand things."

"I know." Alex's tone finally softened and he walked over to where Zack was and pulled him into an apologetic hug. "I'm sorry I've been acting like a jerk, things are just tough right now."

"Work things or us things?" Zack asked slightly scared of what the answer might be.

"Work things, definitely work things." Alex pulled back and tilted Zack's chin so they were looking at each other. "Us things are great buddy, I couldn't be happier with you if I tried and we're gonna have a great day tomorrow."

"Okay," Zack replied but he didn't really believe any of it very much, something just felt off.

"I'm proud of you for talking to me, that was really good." Alex pulled him into a hug again and Zack tried to push aside the weird feeling he had.

********

Zack woke up the next morning with Alex right next to him just like he was promised and that made him feel a little better but Alex smelled weird again and he wasn't a fan of that. Still he was a fan of quiet and being next to his friend so he laid in bed quietly until the alarm clock went off and Alex slapped at it until it stopped beeping.

"You ready for today," Alex yawned stretching out his legs.

"You smell weird again."

"You know, you don't have to tell me that," Alex laughed. "But I guess if it's that bad I'll go take a shower."

"Wait," Zack reached out to stop Alex before he could get up wrapping his arms around him in a rare hug that he himself initiated. "Happy birthday, I'm glad you're my friend."

Alex smiled too big for seven in the morning and laid back down pulling Zack into his side. "I'm glad you're my friend too Zacky, go back to sleep and I'll come wake you up when you need to get ready. It's gonna be the best day ever."

Zack smiled too and fell back asleep easily, not worrying nearly as much as he usually did. It wasn't long before Alex was waking him up again the same oversized smile on his face.

"I set your clothes out for you," he informed Zack who blushed. "Take your time we still have an hour before my parents are expecting us."

"Are you gonna take my picture like the first day of school?"

"No," Alex laughed. "But if you're this cute all day I might take your picture later."

Zack blushed again as Alex walked out of his room closing the door behind him. After a couple deep breaths he got up, finding his clothes lying at the end of his bed all set out for him like Alex said. He got dressed slowly, taking his time with each article of clothing, trying not to wrinkle or mess up anything. When he had all his clothes on he quietly walked out of his room to the bathroom locking the door behind him. First he brushed his teeth making a concentrated effort to not look at himself in the mirror and then he stepped back to see how bad it was.

Very surprisingly he thought it didn't look that bad, he actually looked sort of nice. His pants weren't as baggy as they'd been before and it was clear that there was an actual body under his long sleeve shirt and not just skin and bones. With a satisfied smile he ran his hand through his fairly short hair making sure it looked alright before he left flicking the light off as he walked to the living room.

"You look happier today," Alex observed as soon as he saw him and Zack smiled more.

"I feel happier."

"You're not nervous?" Alex asked, wrapping his arms around Zack who sat next to him on the couch. "I'd understand if you were."

"I am it's just," he trailed off for a moment trying to figure out what he wanted to say. "No matter what happens today we'll still come home, together."

"I'm definitely gonna take a picture of you today."

They both laughed and then the room fell into a comfortable silence until Alex moved suddenly.

"I got you something," he said grabbing a box from beside the couch.

"But it's your birthday," Zack pointed out with a frown.

"Yeah, but I don't know, I sort of feel like it's your first day back," Alex explained with a small smile. "I feel like this could be a good day to start over."

Zack looked at him for further explanation but it seemed like that was all he was going to get so he opened the present sitting on his lap. It was wrapped really nice he noted as he pulled off the blue paper revealing a shoe box. Inside was a new pair of the same black and white converse he'd always had already laced a note sticking out of the top of the right one.

"Just don't use them to run away from me, love Alex," he read aloud turning to smile at his blushing friend. "You're the best friend I've ever had you know that?"

"I just wanted you to look nice," Alex shrugged but the blush on his cheeks and the smile on his lips gave him away. "We gotta go now, are you ready?"

Zack finished putting on his new shoes and tied them tight the way he liked before he glanced up. "We'll come home together?"

"Yeah," Alex agreed.

"Then let's go."