Status: finished

Love is a Dangerous Thing

3

"Okay, this is it, this is where you live now," Alex announced as they walked into his apartment.

He probably didn't think it was anything special but to Zack it was heaven. The whole place was painted a light green color that had a calming effect. The living room that stood directly in front of them had one large blue couch and a comfortable looking brown recliner chair, nothing really matched but it still looked so much better than a hospital day room. He was already happy with his choice but he didn't share this information or even show any signs of realizing they had arrived.

"Come on, Zack." Alex tried to place a hand on his friend's back but Zack flinched away and walked further into the apartment by himself, which is what he figured Alex wanted him to do. "I just painted your room like I said so you can't sleep in there but you're more than welcome to my bed, I'll sleep on the couch," he added, seeing the distraught look on Zack's face.

Zack thought about it for a moment and then shook his head, he didn't want to sleep in Alex's bed. Alex was nice enough to let him stay with him, he shouldn't kick him out of his own bed the first night and more importantly he didn't feel at all comfortable sleeping in someone else's bed, unless it was Jack's. He wasn't quite sure if Alex was understanding him so he went and laid down on the couch to get his point across.

"Uh, okay, if you want the couch that's fine, I'll go get you some blankets and stuff."

This wasn't so bad, he thought, once Alex left, the apartment was nice and he couldn't hear anyone screaming about wanting out so that was nice. As long as he could stay out of the older boy's way things should work out fine. Seeing Alex walk back in carrying blankets, sheets, and a pillow he got up and stood to the side of the couch.

"Alright, buddy, let's get you set up." Zack nodded or attempted to nod, the movement came out way too jerky to be considered a nod and he briefly wondered if Alex would think he had tourettes. Maybe he should try and help, he thought, the last thing he wanted was to make Alex mad by seeming stuck up. He wasn't exactly sure how to go about helping so he settled for grabbing a sheet and handing it to Alex when the boy turned around. "Thanks Zachary." Zack blushed at the simple compliment and picked up the next item holding it out again until they'd successfully turned the old worn couch into an inviting looking bed. "So before you go to bed I think we should probably talk about a few things or I'll talk and you can decide whether or not you want to say anything. I don't mind if you want to stay silent."

Zack shifted uncomfortably but nodded, sitting down on the couch and staring at his feet as if that would somehow keep the conversation from happening. Alex sat down too, spending a few seconds trying to make eye contact with Zack before giving up and speaking anyway. "Your doctor said I need to check on you a few times a night and once an hour during the day but do you...you know do you think that's like necessary?" Zack shook his head looking up with a slightly hurt look on his face that instantly made Alex feel bad.

"I-I'm not crazy." Zack hated the way his voice sounded but he felt like he had to defend himself.

"I know your not but I worry, you know? I care a lot about you, I want you to be okay because you're my best friend."

Zack stared blankly ahead, trying to ignore Alex completely, he didn't want to be cared about, that would only bring him more pain and the last thing he needed was more of that.

"Zack, are you hearing me? Can you let me know if you're still listening?" Zack didn't reply and Alex sighed heavily which was something he was probably going to do a lot. "I don't think you're crazy but I am gonna check on you a few times tonight. Please come get me if you need me, okay? The bathroom is the first door on the left and my room's right across from it, I'll show you yours tomorrow."

Alex forgot to give him his medicine he thought as laid down. He hadn't slept without the aid of medicine in years but he also didn't want to get up and go tell Alex. Instead he climbed under the covers of his makeshift bed, shivering slightly in the early December cold, and stared up at the ceiling. Memories flooded his mind without his consent torturing him with images and flashbacks of the worst night of his life.

"Hey Zack I forgot your-, Zack, what are you doing?!"

Zack blinked out of his trance scrunching his face in confusion as Alex yelled at him or at least it looked like Alex was yelling at him, he couldn't really hear a word the older was saying.Squeezing his eyes shut as tight as possible he willed himself back to the present, wincing at the loudness of his friend's voice.

"Alright, you're definitely sleeping with me tonight."

"No." Zack's eyes went wide with panic and he shook his head vehemently.

"Yes, I don't know what else might happen if I leave you out here by yourself."

Zack slumped his shoulders knowing he had no choice but to admit defeat and followed Alex to the kitchen taking his medicine with a glass of water. Luckily for him his medicine made him super tired and his eyes were drooping before they even made it to Alex's bed. He climbed in on the far left making sure he was as from Alex as possible before drifting to sleep easily.

When he woke up next he was pressed up against his sleeping friend's side an arm wrapped tightly around him. Instantly he shoved himself away waking Alex up in the process.

"Hey, you snuggled with me," Alex laughed, rubbing his eyes. "Pretty quick too I might add."

Zack blushed snuggling with Alex in general was embarrassing but he knew that he only did it because he had dreamed of laying in bed with Jack. He thought Alex was Jack, that was not good.

"It's not a big deal, Zack, I'm glad you're at least comfortable with me in your sleep."

But I'm not, Zack thought, I'm only comfortable when I think your Jack.