Thicker Than Water

#1

Ring, Ring.

Victoria rubbed her eyes, groaning as the sharp trill of her phone pounded her eardrums so soon after she had awoken. Groping blindly with her eyes still closed, she caught the phone just before the caller hung up.

“Baker,” she said, not bothering to sum up the energy to at least sound energetic.

“Did I wake you?” came a voice that she instantly recognised as her partner, Phillip Matthews. He was working nights that week due to missing time when he was ill. Glancing sideways to her alarm clock, she swore loudly.

“Of course you fucking did. Now, this had better be important, for fuck’s sake, it’s two fucking AM,” she snapped.

“I can see you’re a morning person-,” Phillip said, trying to be humorous, but Victoria interrupted him.

“It’s barely fucking morning, Matthews, now get to the point,” she growled.

“You’re going to have to come in, we have a homicide.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Okay, so far, we have no I.D on the vic. It’s a female, around 18 by first calculations. It appears that they were on their way home from a night out and they got attacked as they entered the apartment building,” Phillip filled her in as they walked towards the scene. She sipped a coffee and took in what she was being told.

“C.O.D?” she asked, whilst stifling another yawn.

“Blow to the heart with a blade. She was stabbed, 6 times. The crime scene coroner says that it appears she was stabbed twice in the stomach, once in the leg, one hit to her arm, defense wound possibly, and the last two punctured her left lung and finally, the fatal blow to her heart, ” Matthews said, looking to his notebook for clarity.

“Charming,” Victoria said, draining the last of her coffee and discarding the cup in the closest bin. She signalled to the tape, which sealed off the crime scene, “Shall we?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“So, basically, you’re backing the scene coroner’s opinion?”

The coroner, Samuel, nodded, “6 wounds, twice in the stomach, one in her leg, one to the arm, then her left lung and then the last was to the heart. Even if she hadn’t had the last blow, she would’ve been in a bad way. She lost a hell of a lot of blood. ”

“Not a nice thing to waken to either,” Victoria said, yawning again.

Matthews was waiting at the door. “Confirmed?” he asked.

Victoria rolled her eyes, “Unfortunately, now we have to start on all desk work.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Continue or delete?