How to Love

Chapter 5

Fuck me

I groaned in frustration when I looked at the clock that read 6:37. Brendan was supposed to pick me up at 7 and I still wasn't dressed. We were going to an Italian restaurant that was fancy but not too fancy - which didn't give me much to work with. I kicked off the heels I had previously put on and collapsed on my bed, giving myself a 2 minute breather to calm myself before I went back to scrounging my closet.

I opted for a pair of black jeans with a blouse and sandal wedges. I wasn't completely in love or happy with my outfit but as I heard my phone vibrate I figured it would have to suffice.

From Brendan: Hey, I'm out front of your hotel..hopefully I copied down the right address this time;)

I sent a quick text back letting him know I was on my way down.

I couldn't help the wave of nerves that came over me when I saw him in a black range rover waiting outside the entrance. I sighed and willed my feet to move towards the car, praying I didn't look as awkward as I felt.

"Hey," a smiling Brendan said as he hopped out of the car to open the car door for me. I said hey and climbed in the car.

"Hey Clara, this is Annie, Annie this is Clara," Alex introduced me to the brunette sitting next to me. She looked as nervous as me as she gave me a small smile which made me feel a little more at ease. I caught Brendan smiling at me through the rearview mirror, causing me to blush.

"Eyes on the road," Alex smirked as Brendan shook his head and went back to focusing on driving.

I've only ever been on one date in my life when I was a junior in high school. I wasn't one to date; not because I was opposed to it but I never really believed in wasting time with someone who you weren't into.

"You know," I said as we got out of the car, the restaurant was only like 7 minutes away from my hotel, "When I agreed to having a tour guide I didn't know I was gonna be tricked into a date."

I laughed out loud at his expression before it softened, "I seriously think you like scaring me and making me feel stupid."

"You do that on your own," Alex chimed in from a couple steps ahead.

I laughed again, feeling myself at ease, "It's pretty fun, I can't lie."

He shook his head and put his hand on my back, guiding me into the restaurant. I guess the boys already made a reservation so we were seated right away.

"Do you know how long your staying in good ol'Canada for?" Brendan asked as we got situated at our table. We were actually seated at a booth - Alex and Annie on one side, me and Brendan on the other. Alex and Annie were immersed in a private conversation so it was almost like they weren't even there.

I shrugged, "Not sure to be honest. When I get bored I'll go home."

"So you're never leaving?" He smirked.

"Are you implying I'll never get bored here?" I raised an eyebrow.

"As long as you're with me you won't," he said seriously as I laughed, "Let's play 20 questions."

"6th grade much?"

He shook his head, "Come on, it'll be fun."

"Okay, you first."

"Favorite color."

"Easy," I smiled, "Blue. You?"

"Red. Biggest fear?"

"Clowns."

It was his turn to laugh out loud as I glared at him, "Come on, clowns?! Seriously," he continued to laugh.

"Yes clowns," I said seriously, "They're terrible. Your turn, what's your biggest fear?"

"Drowning."

I nodded, "Understandable."

"Okayy, random fact about yourself."

I had to think about this one, "I can wiggle my ears?"

"Ooh I win."

"WIn what," I laughed, reaching for my drink, "It's 20 questions you can't win at 20 questions."

"Oh on the contrary Miss Clara, I skipped grade 7."

I wanted to laugh but I was honestly just really confused so I ended up staring at him for a couple minutes, the whole time he wore a big smirk. I tried to come up with something clever but I had nothing.

"What, why, and how."

He continued to smirk as I sat there confused, "Told ya I win."

"What's he bragging about now," Alex said. I laughed as Brendan rolled his eyes; I almost forgot Alex and Annie were even here until the waiter came to get our food orders. I debated on a salad or spaghetti. My heart said spaghetti but my brain said salad, so naturally I followed my heart. It's not like I was wearing white so I figured I'd be ok.

"Why'd he skip grade 7?" I asked, figuring I wasn't gonna get it out of Brendan. He was basking in his '20 questions' victory and his smirk told me he wasn't going to change anytime soon.

"Don't let him fool you, it's not 'cus he's smart. He switched schools," Alex said plain and simple.

"Oooh now who wins at 20 questions," I smirked, turning back to Brendan.

"I do," he said stubbornly just as our food came. Brendan had a Chicken Parmesian sandwich, Alex a steak, Annie a chopped chicken salad and I had spaghetti.

"Good pasta?" Brendan asked.

"Very, almost like home," I said.

"I think you're taking some to go too," he laughed. I looked down to sure enough, see I had gotten sauce on my shirt.

I sighed, good going Clara , "Knew I should have went with the salad." I looked to Annie who was stain free, "When I was little I had these American girl doll books and one talked about dates and the one thing said whatever you do don't order pasta."

"Why?"

I laughed, "So you don't embarrass yourself like I just did."

I laughed out loud just as Brendan dropped a piece of chicken on his shirt, missing his mouth…and he was actually wearing white.

"Now I'm embarrassed," he laughed, wiping at his shirt…only causing the stain to get bigger.

"No, we're even now," I smiled, "Stop rubbing at your shirt, it's only making the stain bigger."

"Fun fact your a laundrist too?" he laughed, putting his napkin down.

"Not sure that's even a thing but I've had my fair share of stains and 2 older brothers, I've learned."

"2 older brothers, now I'm afraid."

"One's in Boston and the other is in Chicago, I think you're okay," I laughed.

"Hopefully, because I was hoping we can go on another tour soon?"

I smiled to myself, "I'll have to think about it and let ya know."

He glared at me, causing me to crack up. The bill came and, shocker, he and Alex insisted on paying. Me and Annie tried to fight it for a little but settled on the tip.

"Nice meeting you Annie and seeing you again Alex," I smiled as I hopped out of the car, Brendan following.

"I'll walk you to the door," Brendan said as I nodded, walking the 10 feet to the hotel entrance.

"I had a lot of fun tonight, I have a pretty good tour guide," I smiled as we awkwardly stood there.

kiss me kiss me kiss me

"I have a pretty great tourist," he laughed. We were both slowly gravitating towards each other and I was sure he was gonna kiss me until a car horn ruined the moment.

"Chuck," he groaned, making me laugh. We both looked to the car to see Alex smirking at us. Brendan gave me a quick kiss on the cheek before reminding me to text him and running back to the car.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments?:)