Status: I would love more comments!

With My Life in Her Hands

Human Custom

I knock gently on the dorm door.

The door opens and my stomach twists when I realize who opens the door.

It's not Willow.

It's the blonde girl from psychology. Instantly, I feel the urge to leave but manage to keep still. She is smaller compared to me having to look up. It's not big enough to need me to bend down but small enough her head has to tilt up.

"Hello?" Her voice is higher compared to mine and I remember the basket in my hands.

Do I have the right dorm?

"Is this where Willow stays?" I ask hesitantly.

The blonde nods eagerly.

"It's where Willow eats, sleeps, you know the works," she shrugs. " Do you need her to help you with something?"

"No," I say a little too quickly and the blonde lifts an eyebrow in response.

I smile apologetically.

"There was a party last night and Willow and I saw something," I try not to go into detail not knowing this girl except the way mind screams danger at the sight of her. "It really bothered us and I was worried about Willow so I made her something."

I gently pass the handmade basket filled with treats, a card and some magical supplies.

"A basket?" she questions. The basket leaves just enough space that I can still see the blonde's face.

"One book said when people are feeling sick, you should bring them gifts to make them feel better. I didn't really know what to do but I know I don't like when someone is mean to Willow so this is the same thing. Right?"

Hazel eyes widen at the question.

"I don't know. No one's ever made me a basket when I was sick. Soup yes. Gifts no."

I really do want to leave. I just have one more thing to say before I go. I am trying to hide my trembles. If Willow and

"Please give Willow the basket," I say backing away and taking long strides out of the dorm.

"Wait! Do I know you? Who are you?"

Technically, I don't need to answer. I already gave her the basket for Willow. We even had a civil conversation. I don't really owe this blonde anything and to stay isn't sounding very appealing. The problem is I don't want to be rude to one of Willow's friends.

I sigh at the inconvenience before making my decision.

"I am Briar and I don't know you," I reply honestly before going down the stairs.

The grass is almost comfortable at the 'quad'.

The sun is warming my skin and now it doesn't feel draining. It leaves me feeling like the first is looking after me. I feel so comfortable and almost like I could sleep right here in the sun.

I have no blanket. The grass is good enough for me. Some of the grass tickles my bare skin refusing to bend while others acquiesce to my weight. I push myself as deep into the grass as possible until I can feel the energy in the nature here.

It's enchanting. I can feel the trees breathe. I can feel the trees suckle on the water below. It almost feels like at home. I can only wish I was a true briar rose so I could feel everything.

Suddenly, there is a shadow covering the sunlight over my eyes.

I open my eyes and smile at my visitor.

Willow is standing over me looking directly at me. I can see how light her hair is in the direct sunlight and I wonder how it could change color so naturally. Her eyes are smiling and I can tell by the small smile on her face. She looks like an angel and I can't believe that we're friends all over again.

"Hey."

I open my eyes and start looking for horses. I see none in the vicinity. There is no hay either. The grass has been watered but isn't soaking.

"There is none," I answer completely. "I looked but there are no horses here."

Willow laughs softly and it's small but perfectly Willow so it's perfect.

"That's a greeting."

I don't understand how someone's food can be a greeting but...

There are just some things I won't understand for a while.

"Come join me," I invite patting the soft grass. "It's very comfortable."

Willow looks dubious and lifts an eyebrow at sitting on the ground in her long skirt. I can imagine how hard it must be to sit in denim. It looks tougher than my cotton dresses and skirts. I still want Willow to sit with me though.

I smile encouragingly.

"Please," I added.

Willow sighs seemly exasperated but she's smiling at me so it doesn't hurt at all.

She bends down on her knees and then sits on the ground with her legs to the side.

"So..." Willow holds on the vowel and holds a couple extra seconds.

I smile again.

"I heard about the basket,," she prompted.

"People say when others are sick you should bring them something," I explain thinking of what I've seen in the sitting room. "I care about you so I brought you something."

Willow looked down at the grass for a second then back at me.

"Thanks."

I wonder why she's so quiet.

"Are you feeling better?" I asked concerned.

"I was never feeling bad," Willow explained and looked straight into my eyes." I was just sad and scared."

"That's feeling bad," I disagree and sit up off the ground. "You weren't feeling well," I stress. "I don't like it when you feel bad. It makes me feel bad too."

Willow stops talking and I wonder if I said something wrong.

"Do you want to try some spells?" I say eager to stop the silence from spreading.

Willow nods and I am the first to rise from the grass.

I extend my hand and lift her from her place on the floor.

The walk back to my house is a little uncomfortable for me. I don't know what to say at all. Willow isn't speaking either and I wonder when the silence will be comfortable for me. I am so deep in these thoughts that I don't realize there's someone else in my dorm until the door is already open.

Ruby ringlets turn and I see the baby-face of Isla.

She smiles at me innocently and greets me.

"Hello, Briar."