Status: I would love more comments!

With My Life in Her Hands

Hide and Seek

"It was raining monsters!"

The blonde who I now recognize as Willow's roommate and one of her closest friends as Buffy.

I'm sure I gave her the feel better basket to give to Willow.

Wait!

It can rain monsters?

"Hallelujah," the ex-hyena says with almost no expression on his face.

Buffy stops speaking and tilts her head in Xander's direction.

A light brown eyebrow lifts and an expression of scolding comes across the golden blonde's petite frame.

The only young male in the group shrugs obviously not feeling threatened but perhaps a little chastised.

"You asked for it," he says almost sounding petulant like a child.

Golden hazel eyes roll to the left but she opens up an apple colored mouth to continue speaking.

"Walsh tried to kill me!"

Buffy's voice raises near the end and her stoic composure lessens as shock ends.

The room is silent in the wake of her exclamation that someone tried to kill her.

My stomach feels almost heavy thinking of someone trying to kill a woman especially someone so small in stature.

I try not to even imagine the feeling if that was Willow in her place.

I even stop myself from asking what this 'Walsh' is so she can continue venting.

Giles is the first to speak and his voice is almost patronizing.

"Are you sure? Recently, you believed this woman was God incarnate."

His whole body tenses and I remember what Willow and I spoke of before.

Giles must still be sore about being left out of Initiative business.

Golden blonde hair scarcely moves as she turns towards him.

Buffy's voice is almost solemn in its seriousness.

"That was before Walsh sent me on a one way recon. It was before she gave me a gun that didn't work on purpose! The gate closed straight behind me in the sewers so I hardly doubt it was a coincidence."

Her last sentence sounds almost dry compared to how Buffy sounded at the dorm.

"In the words of your generation, I told you so."

His eyebrows rise in superiority and I imagine this must be bragging after winning.

Buffy's mouth opens as she says loudly "Giles!"

Golden brown eyes open wider at Giles's response.

His own eyes open wider at the call of his name.

"I told you I didn't trust her. I also told you to be wary of this Initiative but you were overzealous... too enthusiastic. Maybe next time you will heed what I say though enthusiasm shouldn't allude to murder."

Giles stops thinking and his dark eyebrows furrow in concentration.

"You are sure there was no forewarning?"

He questions the blonde again and I wonder what he thinks were the warning signs of the betrayal.

Buffy doesn't even stop to think before answering.

"No, it's not like she told me 'Hey, I want to kill you!' She was a little cold but I just thought that was a she-soldier scientist thing."

Her voice has raised and I wonder if maybe she should reevaluate who her friends now.

After all, Willow is a very good friend and I doubt she would kill a human.

Ever.

Xander joins in trying to pinpoint where Buffy's relationship with the military went astray.

He leans forward on the couch elbows touching his knees apparently relaxed or not very stressed at the topic of conversation.

"Why would Walsh want to kill you? Weren't you one of her best men?"

Buffy's stance relaxes as she starts to answer.

"It's not we were besties but we weren't all I-hate-you either. Sure, she gave me looks but everyone eventually does!"

Xander's voice seems almost curious when he asks:

"And Walsh's 'looks' didn't clue you in?"

Buffy is defensive when she replies.

"I always get looks. Since when do looks mean someone wants to kill me?"

Her voice raises on the last sentence.

Xander doesn't even get a choice to answer.

"Can you children calm down ?" Giles sounds instead of insulting inherently tired.

The blonde takes a deep breath before continuing.

"Walsh didn't seem to like me or hate me. I had a feeling she didn't like me for sure with getting so many glances and those pesky comments but I never thought it would go that far," she still seems shocked this 'Walsh' tried to kill her.

Giles' voice is soft as he questions Buffy.

"Do you think Riley knew about this?"

She looks up startled and I remember Willow said Buffy's dating a 'G.I. Joe.'

"No!" Her head shakes violently in denial. "Riley wouldn't do this. I know he wouldn't."

"How do you know that?"

An English accent is heard and Buffy turns in Spike's direction.

"What are you trying to say?" She sounds to be grinding her teeth together.

"This is what I'm saying. My cousin married a regurgitating Froxlax demon and still has better taste in men than you."

Spike's words are bitter and hit its target in perfect accuracy.

Buffy's face slightly recoiled at his words but she recovers so fast I almost believe I didn't see it.

Her face smoothes though and I admire Buffy for that.

"Riley is my chance at normal. He might not be superhuman but he doesn't try to kill me. He actually cares."

The last comment was meant to hurt as I feel a brief surge of sympathy for the unfortunate parasite.

"Perhaps now is a time to bind together than to separate."

I don't realize I've spoken until Buffy turns towards me.

"I am sorry someone tried to kill you."

My voice is completely sincere in its sympathy of her plight.

She draws back a little at my words seemingly surprised but smiles.

"Thank you," she says and looks back at the white haired vampire.

"See! This is what you should say! Not insult me in my bad taste in men!"

Sleeved thin arms continue to point in my direction even after her words are said.

"How is it an almost complete stranger understands not to push but you can't?"

Spike sighs as if this is tedious.

"Vampire," he says pointing to himself." Evil. I guess the blonde jokes have some merit."

Xander interrupts getting us back on point.

"Then what do we do about it?"

Her voice is completely serious as she looks all around the room.

"We need to go. Everyone grab a weapon that looks like it'd hurt!"

She herself hurries to a chest in the corner.

The wooden box doesn't even creak as it opens.

Inside there appears to be weapons.

No one moves.

"Instead of cops versus robbers, let's play soldiers vs Scoobies!" Xander says and I am sure he doesn't mean his words.

"This isn't a game," Giles mutters darkly.

His arms crossed in front of his chest in an almost defensive gesture though there is no danger in his own home at this time.

"This is serious. We have the military after us that captures the magical and wants Buffy dead. Can anyone bloody grow up?"

Buffy appears embarrassed at the chastisement when she explains her plan.

"I was thinking more of hide and seek."

Xander sighs in belief and almost sags back into the couch.

"Oh, thank God. I know a place. "
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry I'm so late. I've been busy with trying to keep up my GAP. Updates won't 've regular but I'll try harder. Thanks to those that are still reading!