The World We Live In

Chapter 1

The only light in the room was that coming from the Vegas strip. Matilda had moved her couch to just in front of the wall of windows, so that she could stare out at all of the lights.

She had started off sitting Indian style, but it got uncomfortable quickly. Her right elbow rested on the armrest, leaning back slightly because of the position her wrist was in to keep her cigarette ashes from falling onto the couch. She had moved my right leg so that it was bent vertically. Her right forearm sat on her knee and her right hand hung lazily.

She took a drag of her cigarette. She had sensed them coming. There was one in particular that had the key to her door. The others all had weapons save for the one.

Although she could not see him or his motions, she felt the arrow being notched and aimed towards her. She moved her right hand to flip off the man, who was standing on the roof of a hotel room, not too far away. He would see it. She knew it.

The door opened. With a mere twitch of Matilda's fingers, she brought the clip board from the man entering her room's hands into her own. She leafed through the pages. It was all wrong. She had really gotten them off of their game if they thought it was all true. Then again they might have made a false file to get her confident and sloppy. Matilda wasn't going to let her own ego bring her down.

"Director Fury, it's so nice of you to drop in," she greeted. "Care to join me? The strip is so beautiful at night."

"Matilda Knight, we've been looking for you," he said.

"And here I am, sitting on my couch in Las Vegas, with your men behind that door ready to take me down, your assassin on the rooftop right over there." She pointed to where she knew he was. "And you in here talking to me, about what I'm not entirely sure, but I'm assuming I'm going to have to go in?"

"We need your help."

"With what? May I ask? Or is too confidential?"

"It's called the Avengers initiative and I will tell you more about it once you come with us. My question is will you do so peacefully?"

"It's like my theory on airport security. If you can manage to hijack a plane with a pair of tweezers, then you deserve the plane. If you manage to track me down, you deserve to take me in."